Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disney Plus Canada

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Disney Plus Canada

    Well looks like things will become more complex and more expensive for much of the same content for people. Disney + will launch in Canada I suspect whenever the Marvel deal with Netflix is dead. The price is $6.99 US so likely about 8.99 Canadian. It will have very little new content. The price point is cheap enough that cord cutters will jump on this. It will be interesting to watch if Disney can keep people long term with just a handful of new shows and their impressive back catalogue.


    https://www.google.com/amp/s/gizmodo...1833986095/amp

  • #2
    I dont see any new content on amazon either which has me thinking of ditching that. I am not a fan of their layout.

    Comment


    • #3
      I've gotten rid of Amazon and strongly considering turfing Netflix because I can just download those shows. I'll probably pass on this Disney venture unless I can't find them.
      Ya friggin Pigeon

      Comment


      • #4
        If Canada can somehow get ESPN+ and Hulu as well as Disney+, that would be incredible. At $9/month, that will be a steal. Considering a single blu ray is now running between $30 and $40, the price is great.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by footballisgood View Post
          If Canada can somehow get ESPN+ and Hulu as well as Disney+, that would be incredible. At $9/month, that will be a steal. Considering a single blu ray is now running between $30 and $40, the price is great.
          ESPN would not be able to be in Canada same with Hulu as almost all that content is sold to Canadian broadcasters.

          Comment


          • #6
            A lot of these companies are pushing people back to piracy. When 1 or 2 subscriptions got you most of the content piracy dropped big time. Now that everyone has their own distribution platform (some are even planning several) piracy is on the rise again.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Attempt View Post
              A lot of these companies are pushing people back to piracy. When 1 or 2 subscriptions got you most of the content piracy dropped big time. Now that everyone has their own distribution platform (some are even planning several) piracy is on the rise again.
              What you are asking for is a Monopoly where 1 company has all the content.

              Comment


              • #8
                That's not what I'm asking for at all. I'm saying that greed for a larger slice of the pie is chasing customers away. I've no issue paying for Netflix, prime and hulu each month. I'm not going to pay for those and separate subs for Disney, CBS, NBC, tsn, HBO, crave, and whatever else. I'll just cancel everything and raise the jolly roger.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Cflgridiron View Post

                  What you are asking for is a Monopoly where 1 company has all the content.
                  Cable companies are a ripoff. I want an option where I can pick and choose what I want.

                  Fast forward...

                  Having everything available on it's own is a rip off. It's too expensive to get all of the individual subscriptions I want...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I have three young kids who love Disney movies so this is a big win for us. We will definitely be getting it.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Attempt View Post
                      That's not what I'm asking for at all. I'm saying that greed for a larger slice of the pie is chasing customers away. I've no issue paying for Netflix, prime and hulu each month. I'm not going to pay for those and separate subs for Disney, CBS, NBC, tsn, HBO, crave, and whatever else. I'll just cancel everything and raise the jolly roger.
                      Crave is way more then a single channel. Hulu and Crave are very similar as they offer content from many channels.

                      Disney + is more then just Disney it also includes Fox.

                      As for the other channels how should those companies reach cord cutters then?

                      You really seem to just want cheaper cable.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Cflgridiron View Post

                        Crave is way more then a single channel. Hulu and Crave are very similar as they offer content from many channels.

                        Disney + is more then just Disney it also includes Fox.

                        As for the other channels how should those companies reach cord cutters then?

                        You really seem to just want cheaper cable.
                        Fragmentation in the streaming world will do SFA to make people move away from pirating. Also, the rights to programs in Canada is vastly different than the US so who knows what this service will consist of up here. It might just be another BS Crave add-on since Bell seems to own it all up here.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by pappcam View Post

                          Fragmentation in the streaming world will do SFA to make people move away from pirating. Also, the rights to programs in Canada is vastly different than the US so who knows what this service will consist of up here. It might just be another BS Crave add-on since Bell seems to own it all up here.
                          Yeah, I would say that all of this fragmenting increases pirating tbh.

                          Amazon essentially had to ditch Marvel, which was doing great, and now there is DC Universe, Disney was already big and now has fox and fx xontent, but I mean I am not going to buy 4 or 5 packages. I will buy one or 2. That leaves me the choice of not watching of finding other means, and I wouldn't imagine I am alone in that.

                          One central hub with most of this content would be amazing. Whomever comes up with it and can sell it to the bulk of the companies can make a killing. Pay 30 bucks a month, get 5 or whatever of these streaming services, and have it allocate payment based on % of your usage. So if you were say 75% Disney, 15% Amazon and 10% HBO, those percentages of each would go to said streaming service. I think that is the only way you minimize pirating.
                          #keepthepromise

                          Onward with escaping the hopeless fantasy of an artificial freedom and darkened picket fences the disillusioned front of friendly foes

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Beacon.x View Post

                            Yeah, I would say that all of this fragmenting increases pirating tbh.

                            Amazon essentially had to ditch Marvel, which was doing great, and now there is DC Universe, Disney was already big and now has fox and fx xontent, but I mean I am not going to buy 4 or 5 packages. I will buy one or 2. That leaves me the choice of not watching of finding other means, and I wouldn't imagine I am alone in that.

                            One central hub with most of this content would be amazing. Whomever comes up with it and can sell it to the bulk of the companies can make a killing. Pay 30 bucks a month, get 5 or whatever of these streaming services, and have it allocate payment based on % of your usage. So if you were say 75% Disney, 15% Amazon and 10% HBO, those percentages of each would go to said streaming service. I think that is the only way you minimize pirating.
                            You need to either reduce output or charge more then $30 a month. Netflix was paying $150 million for just Marvel. HBO offered their package to cord cutters at the same rate as cable subscribers and piracy was not reduced for their major shows.
                            People want to pay $15 a month for TV. Anything more and they pirate.

                            If Disney + struggles due to piracy I bet you see site blocking before you see price reductions.

                            PS what your are describing is called cable. A central hub of channels.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Cflgridiron View Post

                              You need to either reduce output or charge more then $30 a month. Netflix was paying $150 million for just Marvel. HBO offered their package to cord cutters at the same rate as cable subscribers and piracy was not reduced for their major shows.
                              People want to pay $15 a month for TV. Anything more and they pirate.

                              If Disney + struggles due to piracy I bet you see site blocking before you see price reductions.

                              PS what your are describing is called cable. A central hub of channels.
                              no, it isn't. Because these services are not offered on cable. There are shows I like that are simply not available on conventional cable. The services are also not channels, they are access to content.

                              Might it progress that way in time? Perhaps, but it is not now. At least cable companies have started making their services (channels) available mobile. I have to think that the ability to pull your phone out and watch any channel that you can on your TV motivates people to not cut the cord. If that had been around years back, our house would likely still have cable.
                              #keepthepromise

                              Onward with escaping the hopeless fantasy of an artificial freedom and darkened picket fences the disillusioned front of friendly foes

                              Comment

                              Announcement

                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

                              Announcement

                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X