Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Judgmental Map of Regina

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTF happened in here? Why is someone allowed to keep on returning and poisoning threads?

Comment

Originally posted by Touchdown View Post

If it had been more like your highly revised version about house condition, that would be different. That would align with the tone of every other gag on the page. This one doesn't, and even goes the extra step to tell us: "this one, we mean."...
      Sorry, I have no idea what you mean.

You have offered me good, well meaning advice in the past. I have no wish to slam you - or anyone - at all. Shall we all back down and postpone posting for a day?

Comment

Originally posted by Sprout View Post

I thank you for your opinion. I agree that it was a tasteless caption, but we can't get into the "who did what to whom and who's responsible" dialogue here. Overall, I thought the map was funny and accurate. They certainly summed up my neighbourhood of cheap duplexes.
        Overall, I too thought the map was funny. But it only takes one piece of hate (that's even marked as not a joke) to ruin it. It's like a good meal... with only that one cockroach in it.

Comment

Sorry, I have no idea what you mean.

You have offered me good, well meaning advice in the past. I have no wish to slam you - or anyone - at all. Shall we all back down and postpone posting for a day?
          What I mean is that the authors could have made a caption more like yours: "decrepit houses everywhere". It's a non-hate burn, it's on par with the others. Or they could even say "home to the urban reserve". Maybe edgy and references a key facet but doesn't necessarily connote hate, doesn't invoke genocide.

Saying "needs to be nuked off off the face of the earth" is much different. Adding "we're serious" ensures nobody needs to wonder if that was a joke or if it was serious... they literally announced that they were not joking.

Another example is that it's acceptable to joke that some neighborhood is home to a gay population, but not to caption it: "Release the gay-killing aids virus here. Seriously". It crosses lines of taste and hate.

Last edited by Touchdown; 04-12-2019, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Bulldozing the neighborhood with a nuclear bomb? Followed by a "no, this isnt a joke" tag?

Again, it's not about how you or I take it, it's about how an aboriginal community that's experienced centuries of attempts to be wiped out (and still faces forms of that every day, and now, in the casual and cavalier "hey lighten up" dismissiveness of the privileged) might take it. They might not like it, with good reason.

If it had been more like your highly revised version about house condition, that would be different. That would align with the tone of every other gag on the page. This one doesn't, and even goes the extra step to tell us: "this one, we mean."

And none of this should depend on whether you like me or not. That's the problem here. Facts and decency coming from me gets insta-smeared regardless, and garbage flowing from site regulars gets treated like precious scripture. A message should stand or fall on its own merit, not on mob campaigns for or against the messenger.
            Way to go, turning a humorous thread into more political correctness BS!!! Congratulations you win citizen of the year.

Comment

I have always been curious about that. It's almost Cathedral, isn't it? Everyone knows Cathedral is where the Roots wearing granola crunching vegans live. You are talking Retallack south of the tracks, right?
              Between Vic and Arcola, and trust me it ain't Cathedral.

edit: I guess technically it is Cathedral, just not the nice part of it.
              Last edited by Sofaking; 04-12-2019, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sofaking View Post

Between Vic and Arcola, and trust me it ain't Cathedral.
                Hi, my friend. I think you meant some other street in place of Retallack, which is west of Albert and definitely Cathedral.

You posted living near the deadbeats at Winnipeg and Vic, near the 7-11. I agree. It isn't Cathedral.

Edit: Maybe you meant Reynolds St.
                Last edited by Sprout; 04-12-2019, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Hi, my friend. I think you meant some other street in place of Retallack, which is west of Albert and definitely Cathedral.

You posted living near the deadbeats at Winnipeg and Vic, near the 7-11. I agree. It isn't Cathedral
                  Edit: Maybe you meant Reynolds St.
                  Yea I was way off, (I've lived in too many places). I had to look at a map, it was Atkinson, which I think is Broders Annex. I had a GF on Retallack...

Comment

Originally posted by pappcam View Post
                    WTF happened in here? Why is someone allowed to keep on returning and poisoning threads?
                    ..yep

Comment

What I mean is that the authors could have made a caption more like yours: "decrepit houses everywhere". It's a non-hate burn, it's on par with the others. Or they could even say "home to the urban reserve". Maybe edgy and references a key facet but doesn't necessarily connote hate, doesn't invoke genocide.

Saying "needs to be nuked off off the face of the earth" is much different. Adding "we're serious" ensures nobody needs to wonder if that was a joke or if it was serious... they literally announced that they were not joking.

Another example is that it's acceptable to joke that some neighborhood is home to a gay population, but not to caption it: "Release the gay-killing aids virus here. Seriously". It crosses lines of taste and hate.
                      I'm guessing it has more to do with the endless crime in that area than it does the race of the people who live there. Perhaps you're introducing your own personal bias into your interpretation of the map.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20190412-203744_Chrome.jpg Views:	1 Size:	45.8 KB ID:	429517

Comment

"Used cars sold here"
                        "crummy pasta restaurants"
                        "the urban reservation must be nuked"

I must have looks at a different map than you. The one here says 'this entire neighbourhood'. Not sure what you are looking at if you are seeing to word 'reservation' unless you are purposely trying to provoke.

Comment

Overall, I too thought the map was funny. But it only takes one piece of hate (that's even marked as not a joke) to ruin it. It's like a good meal... with only that one cockroach in it.
                          Taking that analogy to this thread. You are the cockroach in the meal.

Comment

Originally posted by RiderHard View Post

Taking that analogy to this thread. You are the cockroach in the meal.
                            He gone
                            Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

Comment

Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post

He gone
                              Lol that guy must hold a record of some sort.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post

He gone
                                Hawk.
                                Classic

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.