Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Global Transportation Hub

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Global Transportation Hub

    New details out on the GTH. Dept of Highways gave CP 300 acres of serviced land at no cost.

    Originally posted by cbc
    According to land title records, the government expropriated most of the 300 acres from farmers in 2008. It acquired the majority of that land for less than $4,000 an acre. After signing the agreement, the government transferred that land to CP.

    The agreement says the government will run services, such as water and sewer, to the land at no cost to CP.

    The ministry told CBC's iTeam it cost $10 million to service the GTH land.

    The government also committed to pay for "all internal roadways, parking lots for intermodal transfer of containers," and it promised to move power lines wherever they needed to go, at no cost to CP.


    .....Later that year, Saskpower purchased less than half that land — 145 acres — for $25 million. That works out to about $172,000 per acre.

    Using the same value per acre, CP's 300 acres of land would have been worth $52 million in 2013.
    http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/s...gina-1.4068125

    Clearly this is not going away. Some very shady transactions!

  • #2
    In my view the government wanted to build this hub and didn't much care how it got done. In the private sector, projects would require that there is a positive return sufficient to exceed the risk. In this case I wonder if anybody in government at any point stopped to ask themselves if this project would actually create value for the taxpayer of saskatchewan.

    Comment


    • Touchdown
      Touchdown commented
      Editing a comment
      I think I read that occasionally someone did, but such people were considered obstacles to be worked around. Wasn't there a guy who initially blocked this whole fiasco because he couldn't get a straight answer about who the middle man seller of the land was?

  • #3
    Originally posted by bzborow1 View Post
    In my view the government wanted to build this hub and didn't much care how it got done. In the private sector, projects would require that there is a positive return sufficient to exceed the risk. In this case I wonder if anybody in government at any point stopped to ask themselves if this project would actually create value for the taxpayer of saskatchewan.
    Serious question. Has anybody actually been out there to this hub to see what is going on? Is the province getting any bang for their buck inn regards to economic activity?

    Comment


    • juice
      juice commented
      Editing a comment
      I've been out there a few times. How would one judge what you're asking just by being there?

  • #4
    I've flown over it lots and it looks like one giant warehouse, and one smaller one.

    I fly into Calgary and see dozens of these types of warehouses block after block after block.

    I'm not sure what's "global" about the place at all.

    Comment


    • #5
      Originally posted by squish View Post
      I've flown over it lots and it looks like one giant warehouse, and one smaller one.

      I fly into Calgary and see dozens of these types of warehouses block after block after block.

      I'm not sure what's "global" about the place at all.
      I imagine it's things like this

      http://thegth.com/news/gth-partners-chinese-port

      No clue if there's any realized benefit to that agreement though.

      Comment


      • #6
        Originally posted by Sofaking View Post

        Serious question. Has anybody actually been out there to this hub to see what is going on? Is the province getting any bang for their buck inn regards to economic activity?
        There's the Loblaw's distribution centre (which is huge), the CP rail yard, a small recycling facility and a few mostly empty industrial strip malls/parking lots.

        I don't know why it was needed in the first place. Other than Loblaw's and CP there is very little activity out there, which could have easily been absorbed by the existing industrial parks in Regina. This government seems to like using tax payer dollars to compete with the existing private industrial parks.
        Last edited by Maverick; 04-23-2017, 04:11 PM.

        Comment


        • Touchdown
          Touchdown commented
          Editing a comment
          Loblaws is the main activity, but it replaces the same activity which was happening in Saskatoon. So it's net gain for Regina vs Saskatoon in terms of a few warehouse jobs, but not much net net for the province.

      • #7
        Originally posted by Maverick View Post

        There's the Loblaw's distribution centre (which is huge), the CP rail yard, a small recycling facility and a few mostly empty industrial strip malls/parking lots.

        I don't know why it was needed in the first place. Other than Loblaw's and CP there is very little activity out there, which could have easily been absorbed by the existing industrial parks in Regina. This government seems to like using tax payer dollars to compete with the existing private industrial parks.
        I'm not sure where that Loblaw building would fit within the city. Not to mention the fact that we don't need 100+ more semis on city streets every day.
        Is it June yet?

        Comment


        • #8
          Originally posted by juice View Post

          I'm not sure where that Loblaw building would fit within the city. Not to mention the fact that we don't need 100+ more semis on city streets every day.
          They could have gone here at no additional cost to the City or province. There's a paved road out to highway 6 and train tracks nearby so it would be comparable to the GTH.

          http://www.collierscanada.com/Tablet...1aac16cc10f89c

          Comment


          • #9
            Originally posted by juice View Post

            I'm not sure where that Loblaw building would fit within the city. Not to mention the fact that we don't need 100+ more semis on city streets every day.
            The amount of heavy truck truck traffic in and out of there is phenomenal.Eventually there will be a lot more freight terminals relocating to that area which provides easy access from major highways. Once the Bypass is complete it will greatly reduce the amount of heavy truck traffic within the city limits.

            Comment


            • #10
              I suspect the reason the City got roped into a contract for a pathetic recycling program with the so-called recycling company is that their processing centre would be out at GTH.

              Comment


              • #11
                Originally posted by squish View Post
                I've flown over it lots and it looks like one giant warehouse, and one smaller one.

                I fly into Calgary and see dozens of these types of warehouses block after block after block.

                I'm not sure what's "global" about the place at all.
                Like the woman that phones into Gormley's show and refers to it as the Loblaw transportation hub.

                Comment


                • #12
                  Originally posted by Maverick View Post

                  They could have gone here at no additional cost to the City or province. There's a paved road out to highway 6 and train tracks nearby so it would be comparable to the GTH.

                  http://www.collierscanada.com/Tablet...1aac16cc10f89c
                  That's not in Regina. Also anything going south or west from there would still need to go through the city, wouldn't it?
                  Is it June yet?

                  Comment


                  • #13
                    Originally posted by painter View Post

                    Like the woman that phones into Gormley's show and refers to it as the Loblaw transportation hub.
                    :lol: The municipal transportation hub.

                    Comment


                    • #14
                      Originally posted by Sofaking View Post

                      Serious question. Has anybody actually been out there to this hub to see what is going on? Is the province getting any bang for their buck inn regards to economic activity?
                      The government rarely gets any bang for their buck.........errrrrrr..........our buck.

                      Comment


                      • #15
                        Originally posted by juice View Post

                        That's not in Regina. Also anything going south or west from there would still need to go through the city, wouldn't it?
                        Why does it matter if the project is in Regina or not? It's about the same distance from housing as the GTH is, I don't see why one being within the RM and the other being within City limits would change anything.

                        I also don't see why it would matter whether traffic goes through the City or not. My point was that the province spent hundreds of millions of dollars on a project that could have been handled by existing projects and infrastructure.

                        Comment

                        Announcement

                        Collapse
                        No announcement yet.

                        Announcement

                        Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X