Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How We Learned French

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Bignorm View Post

    I didn't know that benefit existed, so learning a second language early makes it easier to learn additional ones. Good thing I asked!
    I think there a couple of parts to the ease of learning another language. One is the "wiring of the brain" for lack of a better term. The second is I can see the commonalities between something like Spanish and French. They both have masculine and feminine tenses and the way you conjugate verbs is very similar. The languages structure sentences similarly; in English you usually put an adjective before the noun it modifies whereas in those languages it is after.

    Of course learning a second language when you are young doesn't guarantee fluency as an adult. Like many things, if you don't use it, you lose it.

    Comment


    • #17
      I learned french from that old Kids In The Hall skit. Was it french that you had to drink a glass of milk to get the flem in the lyrics

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Bignorm View Post
        I don't remember the creepy clown, I do remember the French we learned on Sesame Street and in grade 4 I think the text book was 4 aliens (Zip, Zap, Zop, and Zoup) that taught us French. And 30 years later I remember none of it (other than a few cuss words)

        My daughter is coming up on 2 years old so were a few years away from making the decision on schools. At this point I do have to wonder what benefit is there in kids learning French. The only benefit to learning French that I can see is it makes getting a job with the government (federal in particular) easier. If a person is going to learn a second language which one provides the most benefit in terms of making a living etc. In terms of international commerce I think a person is better off learning Chinese, Spanish and Hindi, those 3 languages and the various dialects are spoken by half the worlds current population (and growing).

        In the job I have there would be benefit to me speaking Russian, Ukrainian as well as Hindi and various forms of Arabic as we often encounter customers who have poor English.
        I also wondered if learning French is the right move for my kids. Ultimately, I donít think you can go wrong with any second language.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Bignorm View Post

          I didn't know that benefit existed, so learning a second language early makes it easier to learn additional ones. Good thing I asked!
          My daughter is versed in both English and French and will be a French teacher. She made the deans list and wants to coach sports. Her future is bright.
          Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

          Comment


          • #20
            I learned French in grades 7 and 8 from the Thibaults.

            I bailed after grade 9 when they wanted one to start learning sentences and crap....lol
            Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by go riders View Post

              I think there a couple of parts to the ease of learning another language. One is the "wiring of the brain" for lack of a better term. The second is I can see the commonalities between something like Spanish and French. They both have masculine and feminine tenses and the way you conjugate verbs is very similar. The languages structure sentences similarly; in English you usually put an adjective before the noun it modifies whereas in those languages it is after.

              Of course learning a second language when you are young doesn't guarantee fluency as an adult. Like many things, if you don't use it, you lose it.
              I found the same thing when picking up some Italian. The sentence structure and tenses (ect) were very similar to French.

              Comment


              • #22
                The only thing I remember from Grade 7 conversational French was the teacher's reaction if she spied anyone yawning. She would open all the windows and shout "Vous etes un grand alligator" at the offender.

                Comment


                • #23
                  When I went to elementary school we were taught French in only grades 7 and 8. It was an optional class in high school so I didn't take it so I know very little French. My daughter on the other hand is in French Immersion so she won't be a unilingual dinosaur like me.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    I took French in grades 7,8,9 but it never really "took". I remember very little of it. Which I've regretted a few times in the past when confronted by pretty brown-eyed French girls in Quebec or France.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by squish View Post
                      I took French in grades 7,8,9 but it never really "took". I remember very little of it. Which I've regretted a few times in the past when confronted by pretty brown-eyed French girls in Quebec or France.
                      Your loss... LOL

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by squish View Post
                        I took French in grades 7,8,9 but it never really "took". I remember very little of it. Which I've regretted a few times in the past when confronted by pretty brown-eyed French girls in Quebec or France.
                        This is all you needed to know...

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          My first French teacher in Grade 7 was an Englishman. So ever since I have been told that I speak French with an English accent due to my mimicking his words.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Tyree View Post
                            My first French teacher in Grade 7 was an Englishman. So ever since I have been told that I speak French with an English accent due to my mimicking his words.
                            My grade 9 & 10 French teacher was an old Scottish woman with an accent almost as strong as Groundskeeper Willie.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              I never did learn French. Can't say that I ever missed it. Sure wish I knew Spanish though!

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Grainshoveler View Post
                                I never did learn French. Can't say that I ever missed it. Sure wish I knew Spanish though!
                                Cervesa senior
                                dous cervesa senior
                                tres tequila senior

                                Comment

                                Announcement

                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

                                Announcement

                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X