Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How We Learned French

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How We Learned French

Stumbled across this today. Blast from the 80’s high school days! Anyone else ?

Originally posted by Poppy View Post
    I didn't realize such punishment was permissible in Kanada
    #keepthepromise

Onward with escaping the hopeless fantasy of an artificial freedom and darkened picket fences the disillusioned front of friendly foes

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy View Post
      Los libros para aprender español tienen imágenes más sexis.

Comment

We had a crazy homeless clown named "Sol" I think, who taught us french words.

But in reality, my Grade 7 French Teacher taught me French, and I wish a lot more. Ms Shaw, was about the hottest woman ever to teach me.

Comment

Originally posted by squish View Post
          We had a crazy homeless clown named "Sol" I think, who taught us french words.

But in reality, my Grade 7 French Teacher taught me French, and I wish a lot more. Ms Shaw, was about the hottest woman ever to teach me.
          Holy crap I think I had blocked out Sol the creepy clown! I'll be sending you the bill for my therapy now.
          Is it May yet?

Comment

Originally posted by juice View Post

Holy crap I think I had blocked out Sol the creepy clown! I'll be sending you the bill for my therapy now.
            I still remember the weird synth music at the beginning.

Comment

Holy crap, here it is. Enjoy. Yeesh.

Comment

That's the stuff nightmares are made of...

Comment

OMG, never thought I'd see Monsieur Thibault and Madame Thibault again. Wonder where Jacques is?

Comment

The only person worse in Grade Nine French was my best friend. He failed miserably. He's lived in Montreal now for nearly thirty years, go figure lol!

Comment

Originally posted by Slowhand View Post
                      OMG, never thought I'd see Monsieur Thibault and Madame Thibault again. Wonder where Jacques is?
                      Jacques habite place d'italie au paris

Why oh why do I remember that?

Comment

Originally posted by squish View Post
                        Holy crap, here it is. Enjoy. Yeesh.

Pour moi, celui-ci est mon favorite.
                        Last edited by Marcus Aurelius; 03-15-2019, 06:26 AM. Reason: grammaire

Comment

I don't remember the creepy clown, I do remember the French we learned on Sesame Street and in grade 4 I think the text book was 4 aliens (Zip, Zap, Zop, and Zoup) that taught us French. And 30 years later I remember none of it (other than a few cuss words)

My daughter is coming up on 2 years old so were a few years away from making the decision on schools. At this point I do have to wonder what benefit is there in kids learning French. The only benefit to learning French that I can see is it makes getting a job with the government (federal in particular) easier. If a person is going to learn a second language which one provides the most benefit in terms of making a living etc. In terms of international commerce I think a person is better off learning Chinese, Spanish and Hindi, those 3 languages and the various dialects are spoken by half the worlds current population (and growing).

In the job I have there would be benefit to me speaking Russian, Ukrainian as well as Hindi and various forms of Arabic as we often encounter customers who have poor English.

Comment

Originally posted by Bignorm View Post
                            I don't remember the creepy clown, I do remember the French we learned on Sesame Street and in grade 4 I think the text book was 4 aliens (Zip, Zap, Zop, and Zoup) that taught us French. And 30 years later I remember none of it (other than a few cuss words)

My daughter is coming up on 2 years old so were a few years away from making the decision on schools. At this point I do have to wonder what benefit is there in kids learning French. The only benefit to learning French that I can see is it makes getting a job with the government (federal in particular) easier. If a person is going to learn a second language which one provides the most benefit in terms of making a living etc. In terms of international commerce I think a person is better off learning Chinese, Spanish and Hindi, those 3 languages and the various dialects are spoken by half the worlds current population (and growing).

In the job I have there would be benefit to me speaking Russian, Ukrainian as well as Hindi and various forms of Arabic as we often encounter customers who have poor English.
                            Both my kids were in French Immersion. Part of the reason was to provide an additional challenge to them as well as the fact that learning a second language young improves their ability to learn another language as the get older. My daughter and I helped out at a free day care in Mexico when she was in grade 11. No one other than the two people who ran it spoke English. We took Spanish lessons before we went and my daughter was able to pick it up very quickly.

My son goes to university in Ottawa so it helps him when he goes to bars in Gatineau. As well, he is now on a co-op work term in Germany and it has helped him a bit as he tries to pick up that language.

Comment

Originally posted by go riders View Post

Both my kids were in French Immersion. Part of the reason was to provide an additional challenge to them as well as the fact that learning a second language young improves their ability to learn another language as the get older. My daughter and I helped out at a free day care in Mexico when she was in grade 11. No one other than the two people who ran it spoke English. We took Spanish lessons before we went and my daughter was able to pick it up very quickly.

My son goes to university in Ottawa so it helps him when he goes to bars in Gatineau. As well, he is now on a co-op work term in Germany and it has helped him a bit as he tries to pick up that language.
                              I didn't know that benefit existed, so learning a second language early makes it easier to learn additional ones. Good thing I asked!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X