Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not in my Backyard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are some posters naive enough to think there aren't Mercedes and Escalades in Weyburn? I take it they have never been to the oil patch.

Comment

Originally posted by The_G View Post

That's what I'm thinking too that once you touch one thing then all of a sudden everything else requires an inspection and the entire residence would need to be brought up to code .
      I have changed my opinion too, thinking that infill would be just fine, but you have pointed out needed special features.

What a tempest in a teapot. Four people have special needs and they can't be accommodated?.

About 10 or so years ago, we had a similar tempest in a teapot in my neighbourhood in Regina. They proposed to locate a druggie halfway house in a duplex about one block from me.

They have been model occupants.
      Last edited by Sprout; 03-16-2019, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
        Are some posters naive enough to think there aren't Mercedes and Escalades in Weyburn? I take it they have never been to the oil patch.
        Does Mercedes or Escalade make a combine?

Comment

Does Mercedes or Escalade make a combine?
          Combines are wayyyyy too expensive to only have a Mercedes or Escalade badge on them

Comment

Originally posted by tommy_boy View Post

Combines are wayyyyy too expensive to only have a Mercedes or Escalade badge on them
            Haha, I suppose that's true. I guess being labeled a combine pilot is no longer a derogatory term when some combines are worth more than a decent sized house.

Comment

Haha, I suppose that's true. I guess being labeled a combine pilot is no longer a derogatory term when some combines are worth more than a decent sized house.
              Could buy at least 3 Ferraris for the price of one Fendt Ideal lol.

Comment

Originally posted by tommy_boy View Post

Could buy at least 3 Ferraris for the price of one Fendt Ideal lol.
                Had to google what that was... impressive looking.

So what is that worth?

Comment

I'm still trying to figure out what vehicle you drive has to do with who lives in your neighborhood.

Comment

Originally posted by Grainshoveler View Post
                    I'm still trying to figure out what vehicle you drive has to do with who lives in your neighborhood.
                    It shouldn't. And it doesn't. Traffic problem concerns in this area are beyond laughable. Lying guy was trying to paint us as hicks that are too stupid to move to life in bc. LG probably doesn't know that estevan just down the road has the highest number of millionaires per capita in Canada. Not all of us want to live in a 600 square ft box and spend half our income for the privilege.

just a quick comment on the jacked up truck thing. Not all of them but a lot of them are jacked because they actually need them for their jobs. They go places the average truck can't go. I'm mad about this particular incident because it makes all of us look bad, however there are many good people living in the area.

Comment

Originally posted by Sofaking View Post

It shouldn't. And it doesn't. Traffic problem concerns in this area are beyond laughable. Lying guy was trying to paint us as hicks that are too stupid to move to life in bc. LG probably doesn't know that estevan just down the road has the highest number of millionaires per capita in Canada. Not all of us want to live in a 600 square ft box and spend half our income for the privilege.

just a quick comment on the jacked up truck thing. Not all of them but a lot of them are jacked because they actually need them for their jobs. They go places the average truck can't go. I'm mad about this particular incident because it makes all of us look bad, however there are many good people living in the area.
                      I agree LG knows sweet fa about Sk. Seems like a bit of a legend in his own mind.

Comment

The one and only point I will make in the home owners' favor is: they're right, when they bought their houses no one told them a group home (or anything other than another house) would be on that land. Imagine if you bought a house on a cul de sac, thinking it was purely residential, and then a couple of years later it gets re zoned for a tattoo parlor or a Tim Horton's. You probably would feel some bait and switch happened.

That said.

Group homes for disabled people are a necessity. And the people who live in them are ordinary human beings. No one is proposing the home be used as a halfway house for meth addicts. The reaction in Weyburn was, to put it charitably, selfish and unkind.

Comment

Originally posted by C.M.Burns View Post
                          The one and only point I will make in the home owners' favor is: they're right, when they bought their houses no one told them a group home (or anything other than another house) would be on that land. Imagine if you bought a house on a cul de sac, thinking it was purely residential, and then a couple of years later it gets re zoned for a tattoo parlor or a Tim Horton's. You probably would feel some bait and switch happened.

That said.

Group homes for disabled people are a necessity. And the people who live in them are ordinary human beings. No one is proposing the home be used as a halfway house for meth addicts. The reaction in Weyburn was, to put it charitably, selfish and unkind.
                          Your essentially making 2 separate points, the 1st one holds no relevance in this situation. There wasnít a retail or commercial operation started, traffic or parking wonít be impacted at all by customers.

Itís a home in a residential neighborhood. The only difference is whoís living in it. Itís a bunch of rich people getting their panties in a bunch because some not rich people are infringing on their special area.

Comment

Originally posted by C.M.Burns View Post

That said.

How is a 4 person group home any different then a rental house?

Comment

Originally posted by Cflgridiron View Post

That's kind of the point.

How many high end neighbourhoods do you see with an apartment stuck right in the middle of it. The kind of neighbourhood with the absolute nicest homes in the city.

Land in Weyburn isn't exactly downtown Vancouver and government isn't exactly the model of cost efficiency. I am pretty sure there is more to story than Rich People in Weyburn hate disabled people.

Comment

Originally posted by Cflgridiron View Post

They would probably have objected to a house built for the specific purpose of rental too.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X