Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not in my Backyard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last time I drove through Weyburn I didnít stop.

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
      NIMBY syndrome is real and dangerous. Whether it's opposition to natural resource projects, infrastructure projects, or something as simple as a group home, society seems to be growing more determined to block anything near them they don't approve of.

It's a miracle the Canadian Pacific Railway was built 130 years ago, there's no way something like that could be built in today's climate.
      Good post. Now everyone has feelings and ****. People are more selfish than they have ever been. No one cares about the greater good, its just me me me. I personally know some of the people involved in this Weyburn thing so I won't comment much on this. Its sad to say the least, but let me say I am hardly surprised that this happened

Comment

Originally posted by Ripper View Post

Good post. Now everyone has feelings and ****. People are more selfish than they have ever been. No one cares about the greater good, its just me me me. I personally know some of the people involved in this Weyburn thing so I won't comment much on this. Its sad to say the least, but let me say I am hardly surprised that this happened
        Disability is the only equity group you can join tomorrow. So to all the prima donna's in Weyburn opposed to this...... good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by universityparkpride View Post

Funny, I just looked on googlemaps streetview. This fancy new neighbourhood in Weyburn with big triple car garages (but actually bland stucco siding) also already has rtm homes and vinyl sided homes. So while you're attempting to move the goal posts, this is clearly about it being a group home and not the quality of the home. There are no exclusive neighbourhoods in Weyburn like Wascana View or Willow Grove in Saskatoone (which actually has mixed housing anyways).

This is about misinformed NIMBY's who should have been told to pound sand by their civic officials.
          That was where I built. When the modular homes came in you are darn right I was pissed and went to city council. Old timers on here might remember that thread. I didn't realize that it's where they wanted the group home. Long story short after those eyesores went in they weren't able to sell a lot of lots out there and instead built a new subdivision. There are still lots in mine for sale 10 years after the fact. Group home I Wouldn't have a problem with.

Edit: just looked it up, different subdivision.
          Last edited by Sofaking; 03-14-2019, 11:26 AM.

Comment

My question is why in a city of 8500 people with nearly 180 mls listings, do you even have to build a home to just house four people, much less being in the nicest subdivision of Weyburn. I know the group homes in both Estevan and Swift Current are fairly humble facilities in established neighbourhoods..

It all seems somewhat wasteful and needlessly confrontational with the neighbourhood. I would be curious to know what the proposed budget building this place would be.

Comment

Originally posted by CanuckRider View Post

You need to know something about Saskatchewan municipalities. Not everyone has an OCP lol
              No OCP, but Escalades and Mercedes. Sounds about right.

Comment

Originally posted by lyin' guy View Post

No OCP, but Escalades and Mercedes. Sounds about right.
                They have a community plan. Just a suspect city council at best. You can be pretty arrogant at times.

Comment

Originally posted by Sofaking View Post

You can be pretty arrogant at times.
                  Perhaps.

Comment

Originally posted by Clambake View Post
                    My question is why in a city of 8500 people with nearly 180 mls listings, do you even have to build a home to just house four people, much less being in the nicest subdivision of Weyburn. I know the group homes in both Estevan and Swift Current are fairly humble facilities in established neighbourhoods..

It all seems somewhat wasteful and needlessly confrontational with the neighbourhood. I would be curious to know what the proposed budget building this place would be.
                    Probably because the new neighbourhood has large enough lots and I'm guessing there are few empty infill lots in Weyburn. Also, for disabled people, building a new, accessible building is probably cheaper than retrofitting an old building. It's only confrontational if the new neighbours are ignorant and misinformed.

But please, continue with your mantra that disabled people have no place in a neighbourhood of retired farmers and upper middle class small towners.

Comment

Probably because the new neighbourhood has large enough lots and I'm guessing there are few empty infill lots in Weyburn. Also, for disabled people, building a new, accessible building is probably cheaper than retrofitting an old building. It's only confrontational if the new neighbours are ignorant and misinformed.

But please, continue with your mantra that disabled people have no place in a neighbourhood of retired farmers and upper middle class small towners.
                      This, by a VERY significant amount

Comment

Originally posted by Sofaking View Post

They have a community plan. Just a suspect city council at best. You can be pretty arrogant at times.
                        You didn't need the last two words of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by CanuckRider View Post

You didn't need the last two words of this post.
                          That's what elections are for.

Comment

If additional traffic is a real concern perhaps they should stop building in that subdivision right now..

Comment

This is what I am thinking too. The interior would pretty much need to be gutted as kitchens, bathrooms, bedrooms, hallways and doorways would all need to be changed to accommodate someone with special needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyree View Post

This is what I am thinking too. The interior would pretty much need to be gutted as kitchens, bathrooms, bedrooms, hallways and doorways would all need to be changed to accommodate someone with special needs.
                                That's what I'm thinking too that once you touch one thing then all of a sudden everything else requires an inspection and the entire residence would need to be brought up to code .

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X