Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not in my Backyard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beacon.x View Post

Click image for larger version

Name:	4c9341df7d94f6c5ec7696590b572982.png
Views:	1
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	420082

Name:	01c2dbbd8ddeb5056cd655386fecaa2d.png
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	420083
    You realize that median and average income are different statistics? Apples and oranges comparison. #keepmakingupnumbers #25001

Comment

Name:	4c9341df7d94f6c5ec7696590b572982.png
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	420082

Name:	01c2dbbd8ddeb5056cd655386fecaa2d.png
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	420083
      Think the population and size might have something to do with that? But ya, $46K ayear should get you a nice new Escalade. Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by lyin' guy View Post

Think the population and size might have something to do with that? But ya, $46K ayear should get you a nice new Escalade. Lol.
        Escalades are cheap used. Compared to what they cost new.

Comment

Originally posted by footballisgood View Post

You realize that median and average income are different statistics? Apples and oranges comparison. #keepmakingupnumbers #25001
          making up? I never noticed it was different. also, #gtfu

Name:	6b0df1509f92155ebd0fb7e6a28fe305.png
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	420091
          #keepthepromise

Onward with escaping the hopeless fantasy of an artificial freedom and darkened picket fences the disillusioned front of friendly foes

Comment

I adamantly disagree with this. We have a family friend who runs a small group home, and they are really good at it. They do know a lot of people who are just awful though. New reviews and regulations have been coming in for a number of years now because it is a real concern. When we talk to them and it comes up, it is immensely depressing to hear about some of the places.
            I am all for having regulations or a proven track record etc. If the YMCA or John Howard want to open a group home in a area to me there is zero reason for the city to be involved the regulations should be at the provincial level.

Comment

more money per household is more money per household. What do you think the cost of living comparison is like between the two locations atop of that? There are some fat wages in oil country, down market or not.
              #keepthepromise

Onward with escaping the hopeless fantasy of an artificial freedom and darkened picket fences the disillusioned front of friendly foes

Comment

Originally posted by Cflgridiron View Post

I am all for having regulations or a proven track record etc. If the YMCA or John Howard want to open a group home in a area to me there is zero reason for the city to be involved the regulations should be at the provincial level.
                So you feel the province should start a whole new division to govern and monitor it all, and infringe upon municipal districts by rewriting laws and such? This sounds expensive.
                #keepthepromise

Comment

Originally posted by Cflgridiron View Post

They are at the civil level due to zoning bylaws. When they wanted to create a group home on my Mom's street it had to be posted due to a group home not being deemed as residential.

Comment

Comment

more money per household is more money per household. What do you think the cost of living comparison is like between the two locations atop of that? There are some fat wages in oil country, down market or not.
                      No argument there. Enjoy Weyburn

Comment

No argument there. Enjoy Weyburn
                        erm, don't live there, just pointing out that your perception is inaccurate
                        #keepthepromise

Comment

Originally posted by Clambake View Post
                          I think if you are going to spend 500,000 to 750,000 on a new house, you have every right to oppose condos, duplexes, apartments, gas stations, cv stores, coffee shops, old folks homes, trailer parks and places like this. Its not about hating on people with disabilities, its about expecting to live in a neighborhood of just single family residential dwellings. There is enough infill property, abandoned or soon to be abandoned churches in Weyburn by the downtown or bordering the commercial area that can be repurposed or ripped down to build this home.

I think the councilors and neighbors are getting a raw deal here.
                          No one's talking about condos, gas stations, or any other sort of thing. It's a HOME for 4 residents. These people aren't going to party till 2 am, have the whole high school over when mom and dad are away, they won't have smokey fire pits or peel out of the neighbourhood with their modified muffler truck. It's a frickin group home for 4 disabled people. A private daycare with up to 8 kids would be far more intrusive than this.

Comment

I think if you are going to spend 500,000 to 750,000 on a new house, you have every right to oppose condos, duplexes, apartments, gas stations, cv stores, coffee shops, old folks homes, trailer parks and places like this. Its not about hating on people with disabilities, its about expecting to live in a neighborhood of just single family residential dwellings. There is enough infill property, abandoned or soon to be abandoned churches in Weyburn by the downtown or bordering the commercial area that can be repurposed or ripped down to build this home.

What’s the difference between a house with four disabled people and two caregivers vs a home with a mom, dad, and four teenagers? I’m inclined to think the group home would make for a more peaceful neighbourhood. You want people to live in repurposed buildings instead of nice family-style homes just because they’re disabled? Yeesh.

Comment

Nah. Good community planning should occur to mix all different types of housing and amenities. I spent in your price range on my place, there’s an empty lot down the street waiting for a care home to be built, a block from that is an apartment style condo, between are town houses. In between all of that is a small park. Just past all of those is a commercial area with multiple amenities that includes grocery, banking, food, pharmacy and more space to build as the neighborhood fills in.

The world would be a helluva lot better if people came together rather than trying to keep people apart.

Comment

erm, don't live there, just pointing out that your perception is inaccurate
                                What perception is that?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X