Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not in my Backyard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The real solution would be group homes with 6 or less people do not get reviewed at all. It should just be a rubber stamp. The only exception should be if they are for criminals. Otherwise it shouldnít matter or need any input from anyone. If I wanted to rent out my house Tomorrow to university students I could do so instantly and not have to go to the city. Group homes should be no different.

Comment

A group home in your back yard would be a learning experience that apparently some of you need desperately. On top of that just consider that Weyburn has a crystal meth problem that one would suppose council should be focused on instead. Talk about a safety and property value concern.

Comment

Canít remember offhand who hosts the mid afternoon CJME show, but he basically called the mayor of weyburn out on his interview this afternoon, and rightfully so. The mayor was backpedaling the whole time.

Comment

Originally posted by Kokanee View Post
          Canít remember offhand who hosts the mid afternoon CJME show, but he basically called the mayor of weyburn out on his interview this afternoon, and rightfully so. The mayor was backpedaling the whole time.
          David Kirtin I believe.

Comment

I have difficulty with the statement by one of the councillors that having a group home there would dash the hopes and dreams of people that built houses there. Really? That seems a bit dramatic . Maybe it would provide a wonderful lesson in inclusiveness and understanding, particularly for youngsters in the neighborhood.
            ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post
              I say this honestly and from experience, if the home was down the street from me or a block or 2 away, Jimmy cracks corn and I donít care. But I wouldnít want to be the home owner right next to the group home.

The group home guests deserve to enjoy freedoms and the outdoors in a controlled and safe environment. But in some cases there will be impulsive and quirky behaviour that require patience and the ability to ignore it or just let it go. Rightly or wrongly not everyone is wired that way so if I were moving into that neighbourhood I would not purchase the neighbouring property. Now there could be some safeguards and mitigation such as high fences and supervision, but again it would take patience.

Lest anyone consider me heartless or cold I am the father of a son who will eventually someday be a group home guest.
              yeah, I have to admit that I would probably look give preference for a different house as well. I feel a bit bad in saying that, but it is the truth.
              #keepthepromise

Onward with escaping the hopeless fantasy of an artificial freedom and darkened picket fences the disillusioned front of friendly foes

Comment

Originally posted by Cflgridiron View Post
                The real solution would be group homes with 6 or less people do not get reviewed at all. It should just be a rubber stamp. The only exception should be if they are for criminals. Otherwise it shouldnít matter or need any input from anyone. If I wanted to rent out my house Tomorrow to university students I could do so instantly and not have to go to the city. Group homes should be no different.
                I adamantly disagree with this. We have a family friend who runs a small group home, and they are really good at it. They do know a lot of people who are just awful though. New reviews and regulations have been coming in for a number of years now because it is a real concern. When we talk to them and it comes up, it is immensely depressing to hear about some of the places.
                #keepthepromise

Onward with escaping the hopeless fantasy of an artificial freedom and darkened picket fences the disillusioned front of friendly foes

Comment

Originally posted by bohsask View Post
                  I think proper zoning at the start of a development and setting aside parcels for group homes would avert a lot of this controversy.
                  The problem is that developers seem to have too much power to do what they want. Which area in north Regina got the school pushed out of it and into the next development? Cities need to take back some of the freedom builders have been given to do whatever they want.

40 years ago, special needs people -- whether they were developmentally delayed or handicapped or whatever -- had to live with Mom or Dad and there were few of these homes. Reality is now they are trying to give these individuals some sense of independence and that means group homes. I think we are almost past the point of being able to just ad hoc group homes, but need to plan for them like we do for schools. Designate that there needs to be spaces in new subdivisions for whatever sort of zoning these fall under. There must be some way to see what the numbers are.

Comment

Originally posted by Scotty c View Post
                    You donít want those hooligans rolling up and down your street with their wheelchairs. If you hit one it may scratch your new Escalade or the wifeís Mercedes.
                    There are Escalades and Mercedes in Weyburn?

Comment

Some people like having rich arrogant neighbours, gives them an excuse to biatch 24/7. And then brag about the fancy car sitting in the neighbours driveway the next minute.

Comment

Originally posted by lyin' guy View Post

Of course. That oil money isnít going to spend itself. Those are weekend vehicles when the 3/4 truck with the lift kit and modified exhaust is parked.

Comment

I wouldn't want a house in my backyard either.

Comment

Lol more than you think along with a few porsches and a Lamborghini.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	4c9341df7d94f6c5ec7696590b572982.png
Views:	1
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	420082

Click image for larger version

Name:	01c2dbbd8ddeb5056cd655386fecaa2d.png
Views:	1
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	420083
                              #keepthepromise

Comment

I think if you are going to spend 500,000 to 750,000 on a new house, you have every right to oppose condos, duplexes, apartments, gas stations, cv stores, coffee shops, old folks homes, trailer parks and places like this. Its not about hating on people with disabilities, its about expecting to live in a neighborhood of just single family residential dwellings. There is enough infill property, abandoned or soon to be abandoned churches in Weyburn by the downtown or bordering the commercial area that can be repurposed or ripped down to build this home.

I think the councilors and neighbors are getting a raw deal here.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X