Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not in my Backyard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Not in my Backyard

    City councillors in Weyburn have voted to reject the construction of a group home for people with disabilities in a new subdivision, citing safety concerns and a potential impact on property prices.

  • #2
    There are groups homes in Harbour Landing. $600 and 700k houses. The problem there is a lack of parking and these houses tend to need a bit more.

    Comment


    • #3
      Sometimes I'm embarrassed to have lived in that town. Smh

      Comment


      • #4
        You don’t want those hooligans rolling up and down your street with their wheelchairs. If you hit one it may scratch your new Escalade or the wife’s Mercedes.

        Comment


        • #5
          Wow. That is simply shameful.

          Comment


          • #6
            Does being a neighbourhood full of a******s bring down the property values? Hope so

            Hopefully there is some Karmic comeuppance in store.
            Doh

            Comment


            • #7
              I say this honestly and from experience, if the home was down the street from me or a block or 2 away, Jimmy cracks corn and I don’t care. But I wouldn’t want to be the home owner right next to the group home.

              The group home guests deserve to enjoy freedoms and the outdoors in a controlled and safe environment. But in some cases there will be impulsive and quirky behaviour that require patience and the ability to ignore it or just let it go. Rightly or wrongly not everyone is wired that way so if I were moving into that neighbourhood I would not purchase the neighbouring property. Now there could be some safeguards and mitigation such as high fences and supervision, but again it would take patience.

              Lest anyone consider me heartless or cold I am the father of a son who will eventually someday be a group home guest.
              Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

              Comment


              • #8
                When we were transferred to Saskatoon in 1989, there was a group home housing 5 adult mentally and physically challenged adults located across the street. Two of the young fellows in the home with downs syndrome loved to play street hockey with the boys on the street, in fact one of them was one of the best street hockey goalie in the neighborhood. My son accepted them and never questioned their disability and in fact within a year understood their speech better than some of the group home workers. I think our whole family learned a lot from living in close proximity to the home. The cheerful greetings from them as they waited for the handibus to pick them up to there willingness to help you shovel snow, rake leaves etc. The 3 1/2 years we lived there I cannot recall one incident that troubled us as the home was well supervised at all times. It sure taught my children about tolerance for those mentally challenged or with a disability.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I once rented a house with a group home for adults with mental disabilities next door to the east side and a family with a Mom and Dad and their 5 kids next door to the west. Let's play a guessing game I call "Guess Which Neighbours"!

                  One side produced the occasional hoot and odd noise.
                  One side was constant screaming and non-stop barking.
                  People from one side would shovel my driveway before the snow had finished falling and cut my lawn, and only take $10 or $20 if I absolutely forced it upon them.
                  People from one side would steal from my garden and shed.
                  One side had several disturbance visits from different agencies.
                  One side never bothered me, or anyone else that I know of.

                  I could go on and on, and I would have zero issues or concerns if a care home moved next door to my current house.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post
                    I say this honestly and from experience, if the home was down the street from me or a block or 2 away, Jimmy cracks corn and I don’t care. But I wouldn’t want to be the home owner right next to the group home.

                    The group home guests deserve to enjoy freedoms and the outdoors in a controlled and safe environment. But in some cases there will be impulsive and quirky behaviour that require patience and the ability to ignore it or just let it go. Rightly or wrongly not everyone is wired that way so if I were moving into that neighbourhood I would not purchase the neighbouring property. Now there could be some safeguards and mitigation such as high fences and supervision, but again it would take patience.

                    Lest anyone consider me heartless or cold I am the father of a son who will eventually someday be a group home guest.
                    Can't be any noisier than the neighbours we have right now.

                    This Weyburn property was going to house FOUR people; hardly going to be a traffic or noise issue.
                    Last edited by Poppy; 03-13-2019, 11:44 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Its happened here a few times in last 10 years here in Edmonton. It can usually be adverted with proper community engagement and education. I think the initial reaction from people when they here group home or people with PDD or mental health is nimby. But once these communities hear the level of support/interventions used and some debunking of myths around those issues, most people's concerns are addressed and these projects get built.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Poppy View Post

                        Can't be any noisier than the neighbours we have right now.

                        This Weyburn property was going to house FOUR people; hardly going to be a traffic or noise issue.
                        Four people? Holy.

                        In our town, a care home was put unexpectedly in what was originally planned as green space, to the predicted outrage. But that was a facility for like 50+ people,so more understandable. But this... jeez Weyburn, come on.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          It's for Disabilities --4 max

                          With that Weird outrage, you'd think it was for delinquents




                          Last edited by Shotgun; 03-13-2019, 12:24 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by squish View Post

                            Four people? Holy.

                            In our town, a care home was put unexpectedly in what was originally planned as green space, to the predicted outrage. But that was a facility for like 50+ people,so more understandable. But this... jeez Weyburn, come on.
                            See I can see pushback in that situation. Not because of the proposed usage, but because the land was planned as green space. Otherwise someone else was right. A disability home is no different than any other neighbours. You may never notice they are there, or they may party all night. To pick and choose like this is ignorant.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I think proper zoning at the start of a development and setting aside parcels for group homes would avert a lot of this controversy. They had the developer of the community on newstalk with a statement saying their community was for everyone and basically shaming the council. Yet I wonder how many lots they zoned in their new development for a group home. I would bet zero because developers don't want to sell prime lots for a penny less.

                              We had a group home for troubled youth set up next to our new build house 10 years ago. And yes, they are constantly annoying and cause disturbances as we originally feared, and yes, I will take a hit when I sell the house. But these types of facilities are necessary and have to be located next to somebody. I'd trade a youth group home for a group home for handicapped folks any day. But then that's part of the issue, once it's zoned that way it could morph to anything from a halfway house to an old folks home and anything in between.

                              Anyway, I have some sympathy for the neighbors and Councillors in this situation, it's a PR battle they can never win.

                              Comment

                              Announcement

                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

                              Announcement

                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X