Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US College Cheating

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope the parents who bought their kids way in get taken to the cleaners.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Slowhand View Post

Sure. But do many Saskatchewan parents really care that their kids get into one of the top ten? Does having a BA from McGill get you a better job in Regina than a degree from the UofR or UofS?
        Labour and Capital is becoming increasingly more mobile.

I don't think my UofR / UofA degrees have much weight in Toronto, Houston or New York. And depends on what field your in, mobility is the difference between stable career growth and opportunity, or looking for a new line of work.

Comment

I saw a thread on Twitter about this and it seems that only the east coast of the US really care about what school you went to. West of the Appalachians nobody really cares.
          Except for McGill, Queens and UofT and the uptight twits who went there, nobody in Canada gives a hoot what school you went to.

Comment

Originally posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
            I saw a thread on Twitter about this and it seems that only the east coast of the US really care about what school you went to. West of the Appalachians nobody really cares.
            Except for McGill, Queens and UofT and the uptight twits who went there, nobody in Canada gives a hoot what school you went to.
            I agree, aside from some perhaps "prestigious" internships and starting positions in Toronto at traders or law firms, I think you are fine no matter where you came from.

I do think the states is different though. I knew a guy who cheated his way (academically) into a hockey scholarship with Princeton, somehow managed to graduate (guy was a serious moron), and walked into a very VERY good job on Wall Street, where he still is, scamming people out of money I am sure. That ivy league degree means a lot to people in the states, although as you point out, it is probably regional.

Comment

Originally posted by squish View Post

I agree, aside from some perhaps "prestigious" internships and starting positions in Toronto at traders or law firms, I think you are fine no matter where you came from.

I do think the states is different though. I knew a guy who cheated his way (academically) into a hockey scholarship with Princeton, somehow managed to graduate (guy was a serious moron), and walked into a very VERY good job on Wall Street, where he still is, scamming people out of money I am sure. That ivy league degree means a lot to people in the states, although as you point out, it is probably regional.
              This is also a pretty common issue. Not a huge deal at the end of the day, but some of my friends played on various sports teams at the University when i was going. It was a joke how they were able to get comps on certain assignments....exams proctored by coaches etc. One friend who was on the Huskies, who i helped with chemistry, somehow managed to get a final grade 10% higher than me even though he barely passed high school chem (and why i was helping him in the first place). Very Odd.

Comment

Originally posted by Green_and_White View Post

This is also a pretty common issue. Not a huge deal at the end of the day, but some of my friends played on various sports teams at the University when i was going. It was a joke how they were able to get comps on certain assignments....exams proctored by coaches etc. One friend who was on the Huskies, who i helped with chemistry, somehow managed to get a final grade 10% higher than me even though he barely passed high school chem (and why i was helping him in the first place). Very Odd.
                I know of someone that played CIS basketball for the Huskies, and they definitely do some questionable things for their athletes. Said player also told me that the Huskies Men's hockey coach also offered a player a $15,000 "scholarship" to return for his 5th season, even though his tuition and books would have already been covered by the WHL scholarship program.

Comment

Originally posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
                  Most employers donít care. They need workers and canít be picky. I am sure there are a few fields where it is important such as business degrees and lawyers to get with a good firm.

Considering most big big tech companies donít care if you have a degree and that is having a impact across the board.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X