Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ontario to ban cellphones from classrooms

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by squish View Post

I was a back at the U of S library a while back for a meeting. There's barely any books at all in there anymore. Just lots of workstations. Its a much different (and better) world for doing research now.
    Doing essays and papers back in the day sucked big time, especially if it was a class that wasn't part of one's major. Then for those of us who didn't type it was find someone who did and pay them or buy them some drinks. But it had to be done and those of us with a degree did it.
    Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post

Doing essays and papers back in the day sucked big time, especially if it was a class that wasn't part of one's major. Then for those of us who didn't type it was find someone who did and pay them or buy them some drinks. But it had to be done and those of us with a degree did it.
      Ah, those were the days! Until my final year, the profs accepted neatly handwritten essays. In my final year at U of T, the Sidney Smith Library had study carousels equipped with typewriters. It took me a whole day to type the magnum opus using two fingers. Come to think of it, I still type that way, LOL.

My cursive handwriting used to be pretty good, but now has gone to pot. Technology, no doubt
      Last edited by Sprout; 03-14-2019, 03:04 AM.

Comment

• When I first started university, handwritten essays were still accepted, but things changed very quickly over those 4 years, with computers going from novelty items to absolute necessities.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post

I remember back in the day at University doing research and having to go to the Library to look up material from books and magazines and thinking or saying "wouldn't it be cool to have a computer to be able to look all this up."

A few hours later we would be, "wouldn't be great if weed was legal."
          You have the "gift".

Comment

• Times have certainly changed when it comes to technology in classrooms. I never once stepped foot in a library while completing my Masters of Education degree. All the research material needed was easily accessible online in research databases and no physical books or journals were needed to be reviewed. I also did not have the need for a physical copy of a dictionary or thesaurus...I used a dictionary website as well (Merriam-Webster).

To me the issue isn't cell phones in the classroom. The issue is teaching students how and when to use them appropriately so that they become a useful learning tool, not just a toy. There are so many topics that can be taught in a much more timely manner and in a way that engages students more effectively when technology is used appropriately.

Comment

• Originally posted by Swavey29 View Post
              The issue is teaching students how and when to use them appropriately so that they become a useful learning tool, not just a toy.
              This is the reason people are opposed to phones in the classroom. Society as a whole and not just youth are terrible with their phones. No discipline, no manners and no boundaries around the phones. As a result, the assumption is made that the classroom would be no different and it's just another way for kids to not pay attention.

Comment

• Originally posted by carmen16 View Post

This is the reason people are opposed to phones in the classroom. Society as a whole and not just youth are terrible with their phones. No discipline, no manners and no boundaries around the phones. As a result, the assumption is made that the classroom would be no different and it's just another way for kids to not pay attention.
                Who are these "people" you mention? Shouldn't that be the educator's decision? Leave the decisions to people that know what they're doing.

I'm pretty sure the current gov't in Ontario ran and won by talking about smaller government. Making far reaching decisions like this as a province is far from small government.

Comment

• Where there’s a will, there’s a way
                  How a writing tool became the new default way to pass notes in class

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X