Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ontario to ban cellphones from classrooms

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post

I can still do math in my head and sometimes amaze young cashiers that I can figure out the change bang on before it comes up on the till.

I think cell phones and their availability have their use, but there is still a required balance between traditional classroom attention and listening and using technology to learn.
    Exactly. Cell phones aren't the boogieman but sometimes they become the crutch that a person doesn't actually need but uses because they are so used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post

I can still do math in my head and sometimes amaze young cashiers that I can figure out the change bang on before it comes up on the till.

I think cell phones and their availability have their use, but there is still a required balance between traditional classroom attention and listening and using technology to learn.
      Society as a whole has become too technology dependent and I say this as someone who worked in IT. We are all one EMP away from Armageddon.

Comment

Originally posted by pappcam View Post

Yes but I think the educators should be making that decision and not some politician.
        Disagree to a point. It should be a Board level decision so there is some consistency between schools and even classrooms with a bare minimum guidelines. Then the individual teachers can decide how much or how little they want to incorporate technology into their classrooms.
        Last edited by Tyree; 03-13-2019, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Yes but I think the educators should be making that decision and not some politician.
          That is fair. Looks like it would be up to the schools to choose to enforce so kind of a meh issue to me. The ones that already have the ban will keep doing it the ones that don't care won't.

Comment

I agree. Now I haven't researched the full reason but is some of it because teachers feel they can't make rules or disciplinary decisions without the fear of backlash from a parent or parent's group so they want to hide behind legislation? A good teacher will get the respect of the majority of the class and live with the guidelines.

I will have to ask my daughter tonight. She will be embarking upon the teaching world in a year or so. She is interning right now.
            Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

Comment

Originally posted by Tyree View Post

Society as a whole has become too technology dependent and I say this as someone who worked in IT. We are all one EMP away from Armageddon.
              That was the point I was trying to make, we are super dependent to the point that sometimes it is unhealthy/dangerous.

For all the benefits and there are countless.... there are also many downfalls. I suppose that goes with a lot of things though. Heck look at the Boeing situation. The technology has been super helpful in advancing air travel and improving things but sometimes when we become too trusting and relying on technology sometimes bad **** happens.

Comment

What is EMP?

Comment

Originally posted by jollyrider View Post

What is EMP?
                  Electromagnetic pulse
                  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_pulse

Comment

Or when Skynet becomes self aware...

In all seriousness though, I agree.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tyree View Post

Disagree to a point. It should be a Board level decision so there is some consistency between schools and even classrooms with a bare minimum guidelines. Then the individual teachers can decide how much or how little they want to incorporate technology into their classrooms.
                      I would consider school boards "educators" as far as something like this is concerned. School boards are a hell of a lot closer to the classroom than some provincial politician.

Comment

• Originally posted by The General View Post
                        Itís a good thing young people canít vote, and donít when they turn voting age because this is bound to be very unpopular with that demographic.
                        They will eventually vote, likely using their phones to do it someday. They bank with them, order items with them, communicate with them they will likely want to vote with them.

Comment

• Originally posted by mrguy View Post
                          Thank you.

Comment

• I can't believe how many people are afraid of technology. Technology has allowed humans to do everything worth noting in recorded history.

Comment

• Originally posted by pappcam View Post
                              I can't believe how many people are afraid of technology. Technology has allowed humans to do everything worth noting in recorded history.
                              I remember back in the day at University doing research and having to go to the Library to look up material from books and magazines and thinking or saying "wouldn't it be cool to have a computer to be able to look all this up."

A few hours later we would be, "wouldn't be great if weed was legal."
                              Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post

I remember back in the day at University doing research and having to go to the Library to look up material from books and magazines and thinking or saying "wouldn't it be cool to have a computer to be able to look all this up."

A few hours later we would be, "wouldn't be great if weed was legal."
                                I was a back at the U of S library a while back for a meeting. There's barely any books at all in there anymore. Just lots of workstations. Its a much different (and better) world for doing research now.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X