Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ontario to ban cellphones from classrooms

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The “what are they gonna do when they don’t have it” argument has probably been made for a hundred different topics, and it usually doesn’t have much merit. I guarantee this same discussion was had when arguing kids should be taught to use a slide rule because they won’t always have a calculator.

Comment

Originally posted by Mustard Tiger View Post
      The “what are they gonna do when they don’t have it” argument has probably been made for a hundred different topics, and it usually doesn’t have much merit. I guarantee this same discussion was had when arguing kids should be taught to use a slide rule because they won’t always have a calculator.
      I know I never had a slide rule, never even learned about them, my dad back in the 80's was shocked when I told him this. I seem to have made out OK.

Comment

Originally posted by R.J View Post
        Agreed. IMO kids are learning they don't have to store information - the computer and/or cell phone does that for them.
        Yes they are learning that, and that’s because it’s true. Education is way less focused on memorization now, and that’s a good thing. Critical thinking and the ability to use information is way more valuable. Using a computer or cell phone as a reference doesn’t take that away.

Comment

Originally posted by pappcam View Post

Didn't TV already destroy a generation or two? How about rock and roll?
          I get your point but with tv's we are stuck for a few minutes on a program than few seconds stimulation on cell phones.

Comment

Originally posted by jollyrider View Post

I get your point but with tv's we are stuck for a few minutes on a program than few seconds stimulation on cell phones.
            My point is that the older generation always talks about something that is going to ruin the new generation and it never has. I don't know if it's jealousy or pettiness about what their generation didn't have compared to the newer generation but it's become comical at this point.

P.S.: I'm a part of the older generation.

Comment

My point is that the older generation always talks about something that is going to ruin the new generation and it never has. I don't know if it's jealousy or pettiness about what their generation didn't have compared to the newer generation but it's become comical at this point.

I agree totally. Whether its what they teach or how they teach it, it seems people want it to be as miserable as we had it. I think I remember having an argument here about "new math" specifically long division. They don't teach it in the same way anymore... GOOD! Who pines for the days of long division? That was a crap way of teaching math and it showed.

Comment

Part of the issue is confusing phones/tablets with social media. Social media can be unhealthy. You see YouTube stars talk about mental health issues. They are always tracking likes, shares reading comments. Compare that to many successful professional actors who talk about never googling themselves, not reading reviews etc. Being surrounded by negativity is not healthy.

However phones and and tablets are so much more then that. There are apps that teach drawing, animation. iPads you can install iMovie and learn basic editing skills. Instead of reading books kids and teens are reading chat apps and interactive stories. Unplugging is important but the concern over technology is overblown.

Comment

About time places start doing this more. Bravo.
                  #keepthepromise

Onward with escaping the hopeless fantasy of an artificial freedom and darkened picket fences the disillusioned front of friendly foes

Comment

Originally posted by Cflgridiron View Post
                    However phones and and tablets are so much more then that. There are apps that teach drawing, animation. iPads you can install iMovie and learn basic editing skills. Instead of reading books kids and teens are reading chat apps and interactive stories. Unplugging is important but the concern over technology is overblown.
                    Yes they are, but let's be honest here, how many people know how to edit videos, clips, music, photos, servers, an OS like Linux, etc ?

I'd be willing to bet, that the vast majority just know how to use filters on their camera app, surf the web and youtube.

Comment

A couple of real Abe Simpsons in this thread...
                      Just a couple?

A government ban on phones is a laughable, unnecessary, unenforceable overreach.
                      Last edited by Mcintosh; 03-12-2019, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by R.J View Post
                        Yes they are, but let's be honest here, how many people know how to edit videos, clips, music, photos, servers, an OS like Linux, etc ?

I'd be willing to bet, that the vast majority just know how to use filters on their camera app, surf the web and youtube.
                        It is all over the map. My daughter has being playing around with camera angles and lighting that works along with filters. My son likes editing random clips together and experimenting. Lots of kids play with garage band which is intro to audio engineering.
                        Last edited by Cflgridiron; 03-12-2019, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mcintosh View Post

Just a couple?

A government ban on phones is a laughable, unnecessary, unenforceable overreach.
                          To me it's downright bizarre that this is even a priority for a provincial government. Let the actual educators deal with it FFS.

Comment

To me it's downright bizarre that this is even a priority for a provincial government. Let the actual educators deal with it FFS.
                            That was my reaction too. Perhaps the actual educators don't have the authority to deal with it? I should look that up on my phone.

Comment

Don't forget the dollar beer!

Comment

Originally posted by Mcintosh View Post

That was my reaction too. Perhaps the actual educators don't have the authority to deal with it? I should look that up on my phone.
                                Better go to the library instead.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X