Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ontario to ban cellphones from classrooms

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My kids started c getting them when they were 12-13 but no data until they got older. Main reason was I wanted to be able to get a hold of them if I had to like come home for supper that kind of thing. Also one of the reasons they got them fairly early I had joint custody so I wanted to be able to talk to them when they were at their mom's and not bother her.

our schools had a kind of don't hear it don't see it in class. One of my kids broke the rules and had his taken away for the day. The school phoned me and told me what happened. They wouldn't give it back until I came down and met with my son and someone from the school. Very effective lol

Comment

Originally posted by Knighthawk View Post

25-30 years ago cell phones were also non existent outside of the classroom.

Just like the world has changed because of innovations so too must education change to match that world.
      But why do phones have to be used as a learning tool? We are teaching our kids to rely on computers, cell phones, etc. to get their information/learning instead of figuring out things on their own.
      Last edited by kbench55; 03-12-2019, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kbench55 View Post

But why do phones have to be used as a learning tool? We are teaching our kids to rely on computers, cell phones, etc. to get their information/learning instead of figuring out things on their own.
        And calculators... Crazy how many kids in Ontario are failing the math portion of the EQAO.

Comment

Originally posted by Knighthawk View Post

25-30 years ago cell phones were also non existent outside of the classroom.

Just like the world has changed because of innovations so too must education change to match that world.
          We weren't allowed to use calculators or slide rules when we took Geo-Trig Everything was done by extrapolation using the tables at the back of the text book.

Comment

You said they should be looking words up in a dictionary. Looking a word up on their phone is no different. It is simply a tool and a different way of accessing information. Sure, parents use to have a nice set of Encyclopedia Britannica for you to do school work but don't anymore. Why? Kids use the internet to find the same info.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyree View Post

We weren't allowed to use calculators or slide rules when we took Geo-Trig Everything was done by extrapolation using the tables at the back of the text book.
              Slide rules? You're older than dirt!

Comment

Originally posted by go riders View Post

Slide rules? You're older than dirt!
                Same vintage as you!
                Last edited by Tyree; 03-12-2019, 02:13 PM.

Comment

A couple of real Abe Simpsons in this thread...

Comment

You said they should be looking words up in a dictionary. Looking a word up on their phone is no different. It is simply a tool and a different way of accessing information. Sure, parents use to have a nice set of Encyclopedia Britannica for you to do school work but don't anymore. Why? Kids use the internet to find the same info.
                    I think a Library is useful too, but I may be in the minority.

Comment

Originally posted by pappcam View Post
                      A couple of real Abe Simpsons in this thread...
                      Ah, shad up! You're about the same age too! Nice onion on your belt!

Comment

LOL at anyone who thinks they can put off cell phones for their kid until they are 16. That's not even practical in today's society. I would bet my whole bank account you will cave long before that...I'm betting 12 at the latest.

Waiting for the big ole splash...actually there was no big splash, just a peaceful ripple. Dammit, there was supposed to be a big ole splash!!

Comment

Cell phones are the greatest learning tool humanity has ever produced. Sure, they can be a distraction. Of course, there's a time and place for problem solving without the help of technology.

Kids absolutely should be relying on computers and cell phones. If I tell my class to research for an essay, do I want them to go to the library and check out the one available book or do I want them to access hundreds or thousands of different sources that are available in the palms of their hands? While there are pitfalls to increased reliance on technology, the benefits are immeasurable. My first degree came in 2003 (history, U of Calgary) and I/we were just starting to see the potential of online research. Many essays were done with books or trips to the library to look at microfilm/microfiche. My last degree came in 2013 (Ed. Admin, U of Saskatchewan) and the quality of my research is staggeringly better in the latter. Partly, this is because I was better at it, but a far greater factor in this is the availability of sources.

Comment

I would say it would depend on the class subject and how the class time was being used. If a work period, yes, they should have access to all the information they may need to complete their tasks, but for instructional presentations or testing, they should not be allowed, just as programmable calculators were not allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyree View Post

Fair enough but if you had to do geometry today would you be looking at trig tables?

Comment

Your proving my point though. I said sound it out or ask the teacher as well. If they don't have their phone or data is unavailable what are they suppose to do? That's the problem, you take away the phone or the access to the internet and they are lost and have no idea what they are suppose to do.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X