Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sask. RCMP have laid 7 cannabis-related impaired driving charges since legalization

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sask. RCMP have laid 7 cannabis-related impaired driving charges since legalization

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...rges-1.5048281 596 alcohol-related impaired driving charges laid in same time period

Saskatchewan RCMP say they have laid only seven charges of suspected cannabis-related impaired driving since recreational marijuana became legal on Oct. 17.

Impaired driving was a top concern around legalization for police across the country.
    As a response, many police forces have increased their resources and training to deal with drivers who get behind the wheel after consuming marijuana.

But so far those concerns have been more smoke than flame for RCMP in Saskatchewan.

"The numbers are a little bit lower than I would expect," said Cpl. Rob King, spokesperson for Saskatchewan RCMP. King noted that RCMP laid almost 600 alcohol-related impaired driving charges in the same amount of time.

However, King says concerns around impaired driving relating to cannabis, or any other drug, are warranted.

"I think the public education was one of the reasons why we probably have such a low number," he said.

"I think there's high level of concern of people driving after they've consumed anything that could affect or impair their level of driving," said Cpl. Rob King, spokesperson for Saskatchewan RCMP. (Kirk Fraser/CBC)

"We've taken a great deal of steps to educate [officers] on how to look for the signs of being impaired by cannabis or any other type of drugs."

RCMP currently has 83 drug recognition experts (DRE) in Saskatchewan, according to King, who are specially trained to assess the suspected type of drug someone may have consumed and the level of impairment.

Saliva testing kits known as the Draeger Drug Test 5000 are also being spread out to RCMP detachments around the province, said King.
    He also said RCMP won't be changing their strategy around impaired driving involving cannabis despite the low number of charges.

"I think there's high level of concern of people driving after they've consumed anything that could affect or impair their level of driving," said King.

"It's something that's a problem across the country. It's something that's a problem across the world. So I think police will constantly be faced with that problem and will constantly be battling with it." Low number of charges, if any, in Regina

Regina has also seen few, if any, impaired driving charges related to cannabis.

"I don't have numbers but I'll use the word low, like we have not laid a lot of impaired driving charges," said Regina police Chief Evan Bray after last week's Board of Police Commissionaires meeting.

"In fact, I don't think we've laid any impaired driving charges as a result of cannabis. We've had multiple as a result of alcohol, none as a result of cannabis."

He said police have addressed complaints of people consuming cannabis in public, but those have been dealt with through "communication and education," he said.

"I would say it has been a very positive few months as we step into this new era of legislation legalize cannabis."

He said Regina police are continuing to train officers on federal and provincial cannabis laws and how they apply.
    Last edited by Supraturbo13; 03-08-2019, 10:02 AM.

Wasn't me

Comment

So all the hype seems to have turned into a nothing story? Colour me shocked!! Weed impairment is right up there with photo radar safety.

Comment

7 charges and 83 drug experts on the force? LOL
        Rob King sounds like a dummy.

Comment

Originally posted by Mcintosh View Post
          The really dummies are us citizens who continuously allow Law Enforcement to use scare tactics to increase a runaway budget all in the name of safety. And to allow them to lower standards in the name of safety purely for revenue.

Comment

Originally posted by Mcintosh View Post
            I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that just means there are 83 RCMP officers who have additional training for drug impairment investigations, not that it's their sole job.

Comment

Modern day reefer madness scare type tactics not working or coming to fruition. Who knew.
              Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

Comment

Originally posted by green_machine_#1 View Post

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that just means there are 83 RCMP officers who have additional training for drug impairment investigations, not that it's their sole job.
                Correct. They aren't solely drug impairment investigators.

Comment

Much ado about nothing.

The "everyone will be driving stoned" crowd is just as wrong as "the cops are going to be pulling everyone over and making them take a breathalyzer" crowd.

Go figure.

Comment

So, they've laid 7 charges, do they have (or will they get) 7 convictions?

Comment

Originally posted by mrguy View Post
                      Much ado about nothing.

The "everyone will be driving stoned" crowd is just as wrong as "the cops are going to be pulling everyone over and making them take a breathalyzer" crowd.

Go figure.
                      How so? We don't know the rate of people tested.

Comment

That's because regular users of cannabis aren't impaired by the use of cannabis, so "pot heads" aren't driving dangerously (they're actually usually more cautious drivers than when "sober") and not catching the eye of the cops.

To everybody who was for legalization but still were worried about the "unknown dangers to society" that legalized cannabis poses: you're not as progressive or fair-minded as you think you are. The fact that you had these worries is proof that you believe at least some of the lies that reefer madness propaganda has been responsible for decades.

A significant portion of the population smoked cannabis when it was illegal with something like 80% of the population having tried it at least once. Given those numbers, any "societal problems" that were ever going to exist because of smoking cannabis already existed, and with most people who wanted to smoke cannabis already doing so prior to legalization, any additional "problems" will be minuscule.

It is important for these fence sitters who still believe in bull**** to stop doing so because we now live in another form of prohibition. Cannabis producers cannot promote their brand, the packaging conditions are absolutely ridiculous, and regular consumers now either can't drive (because of baseless paranoia) or can't consume because they need to drive.

Comment

Originally posted by Bates View Post

The really dummies are us citizens who continuously allow Law Enforcement to use scare tactics to increase a runaway budget all in the name of safety. And to allow them to lower standards in the name of safety purely for revenue.
                          I seen wut ya done their.
                          Is it May yet?

Comment

Originally posted by juice View Post

I seen wut ya done their.
                            That's approaching Political!!

Comment

Originally posted by LongTimeRiderFan View Post
                              That's because regular users of cannabis aren't impaired by the use of cannabis, so "pot heads" aren't driving dangerously (they're actually usually more cautious drivers than when "sober") and not catching the eye of the cops.

To everybody who was for legalization but still were worried about the "unknown dangers to society" that legalized cannabis poses: you're not as progressive or fair-minded as you think you are. The fact that you had these worries is proof that you believe at least some of the lies that reefer madness propaganda has been responsible for decades.

A significant portion of the population smoked cannabis when it was illegal with something like 80% of the population having tried it at least once. Given those numbers, any "societal problems" that were ever going to exist because of smoking cannabis already existed, and with most people who wanted to smoke cannabis already doing so prior to legalization, any additional "problems" will be minuscule.

It is important for these fence sitters who still believe in bull**** to stop doing so because we now live in another form of prohibition. Cannabis producers cannot promote their brand, the packaging conditions are absolutely ridiculous, and regular consumers now either can't drive (because of baseless paranoia) or can't consume because they need to drive.
                              It's like cigarettes with the limited branding, marketing and so forth, and expect things to be even more strict when edibles are legalized. Don't expect "candy" looking stuff to be allowed at all. Even with all that, I don't think I'd refer to it as any kind of prohibition, especially compared to how things were before October.

The driving thing, you won't get very far with that argument. With Uber about to become legal, there will always be options for getting some place safely if you're high.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X