Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Headphones

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mixer View Post

They aren't advertised as noise cancelling.
    I know they aren't. But they are over the ear, which is why I was curious. I don't want noise cancelling ones, but I also want ones that drown out a bit of outside noise. I've just been using iPhone headphones for the longest time and they have to be cranked to hear anything on a plane, which I don't like.

Comment

So I recently picked up the Bose QC35 on a deal. Love the noise canceling, comfort, but...Bluetooth range is awful and I canít really say Iím a fan of the sound (although Iíve read they are supposed to be good). Sound is muddy to me, and Bluetooth, Iíve had my tablet streaming Spotify 2ft from me and theyíll sometimes skip.

I will be returning them. So is there something comparable to look for? Sony or SennheiserThe Bose did come with an optional jack to plug in which was good, battery life is great, if the wireless range was better Iíd probably stick with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Joeywalters View Post
        So I recently picked up the Bose QC35 on a deal. Love the noise canceling, comfort, but...Bluetooth range is awful and I canít really say Iím a fan of the sound (although Iíve read they are supposed to be good). Sound is muddy to me, and Bluetooth, Iíve had my tablet streaming Spotify 2ft from me and theyíll sometimes skip.

I will be returning them. So is there something comparable to look for? Sony or SennheiserThe Bose did come with an optional jack to plug in which was good, battery life is great, if the wireless range was better Iíd probably stick with them.
        I haven't tried them, but that is surprising to hear as I know they get fairly good reviews. I have been using Beyerdynamic, which are great, but I am not sure they are worth the premium.
        #keepthepromise

Onward with escaping the hopeless fantasy of an artificial freedom and darkened picket fences the disillusioned front of friendly foes

Comment

I looked at those last year when I was looking for Bluetooth headphones. But I ended up getting the Sony 1000XM2. They got really good reviews, and I got mine from an Openbox retailer for about half the regular price. I got them because I moved into an apartment and I wasn't sure how loud I could watch movies without bugging my neighbours. Turns out my building is fairly soundproof, so I don't use them as much as I thought I would. The Bluetooth range seemed good...I could be on my couch and use them for TV.

I just started using them again for my amateur music studio. They have an optional cord as well, and they are much more comfortable than the Monster noise cancelling headphones I used to use for my studio.

Sony recently put out the 1000XM3 headphones. More money than mine. Not sure what the differences are.

Comment

I have a pair of these just sitting around...they are a few years old and would be willing to let them go for $70...excellent shape

https://www.amazon.ca/Sennheiser-HD-...tronics&sr=1-5

Comment

HESH 3 bluetooth headphones . 50 foot range @ Ton of noise cancelation but was hoping for more volume. Good bass . Price was under 100$ at LD
              USB recharge , very quick recharge and long battery life .

7 out of 10
              Last edited by regina; 04-08-2019, 09:37 AM.

Comment

I'll save my normal Bose rant because their headphones are usually pretty good, they get good ratings and the few I have sampled sounded great. Everything else not so much. Their slogan is "Better sound through research", it should be "Higher profits through marketing". My oldest kid tends to have things "just break on him" In the last 5 years he's had 3 different over the ear pairs (he pays for them so no skin off my back). I didn't like the beats at all, second set were Sony which weren't bad, and the third was Senheisser. IMO the last ones were far superior than the other two, all mid range models from each manufacturer for about the same price. None wireless or blue tooth so I can't comment on range or battery life, just sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Sofaking View Post

I'll save my normal Bose rant because their headphones are usually pretty good, they get good ratings and the few I have sampled sounded great. Everything else not so much. Their slogan is "Better sound through research", it should be "Higher profits through marketing". My oldest kid tends to have things "just break on him" In the last 5 years he's had 3 different over the ear pairs (he pays for them so no skin off my back). I didn't like the beats at all, second set were Sony which weren't bad, and the third was Senheisser. IMO the last ones were far superior than the other two, all mid range models from each manufacturer for about the same price. None wireless or blue tooth so I can't comment on range or battery life, just sound.
                  The Bose/marketing thing is as old as a 901 speaker in a wood cabinet. Its simply untrue. The "audiophiles" never bought in for whatever reason, but their products for the most part are very very good. Nothing has as good a sound as those little Bose bluetooth speakers, and my QC15 headphones have been amazing for 8 years now.

Comment

Originally posted by squish View Post

The Bose/marketing thing is as old as a 901 speaker in a wood cabinet. Its simply untrue. The "audiophiles" never bought in for whatever reason, but their products for the most part are very very good. Nothing has as good a sound as those little Bose bluetooth speakers, and my QC15 headphones have been amazing for 8 years now.
                    Most audiophiles liked the 901s they started making them in the 60's, I've listened to a pair and I didn't mind them. They were one of the longest produced if not the longest produced speaker in the industry and practically built the company. Not sure what you are implying about wood cabinets, all good speakers to this day are made of wood with a few exceptions like Ribbon speakers. Audiophiles don't like the newer stuff not because it is terrible equipment, just that as good or better can be found for half or sometimes less than a similar Bose system. Not everyone needs or wants an audiophile set up, it's just frustrating to see people pay good money for what they think is the best and it simply isn't. It is notable that Bose does not make a single speaker setup that has been certified by THX for a home theater.

Anyways the OP never asked for an audiophile set up he is looking for wireless headphones to watch TV so I won't ramble anymore, was just suggesting he try a set of Senheissers as he said he didn't like the sound of the ones he bought..

Comment

Most audiophiles liked the 901s they started making them in the 60's, I've listened to a pair and I didn't mind them. They were one of the longest produced if not the longest produced speaker in the industry and practically built the company. Not sure what you are implying about wood cabinets, all good speakers to this day are made of wood with a few exceptions like Ribbon speakers. Audiophiles don't like the newer stuff not because it is terrible equipment, just that as good or better can be found for half or sometimes less than a similar Bose system. Not everyone needs or wants an audiophile set up, it's just frustrating to see people pay good money for what they think is the best and it simply isn't. It is notable that Bose does not make a single speaker setup that has been certified by THX for a home theater.

Anyways the OP never asked for an audiophile set up he is looking for wireless headphones to watch TV so I won't ramble anymore, was just suggesting he try a set of Senheissers as he said he didn't like the sound of the ones he bought..
                      No, not an audiophile quality. Just something noise cancelling for airplanes, something at home to use without wires so I or the wife can wander around listening to streamed music. One of the things that really pi**ed me off about these, and wasnít aware until I bought them, is that there is no battery replacement. Basically, throw the headphones away. I just despise companies clogging up landfills with things like this. There is enough in the world as it is, and Bose should be better. Rant over. But if the battery life is 20 yrs, Iíll give them a pass.

Comment

WHAT?

Comment

Originally posted by iiebg View Post
                          WHAT?
                          Was it my rant?

Comment

You're right that headphone and audio equipment marketing is a minefield of fraud, especially Bose, Beats, and Monster. And you're right that Sennheiser is often a good compromise of value for money. But they aren't completely immune from it. They use many of the tricks. They have cables that are more rubber than copper, that aren't made to handle flex strain, that entice instead of resist tangles, and don't detach. They use plastics that fracture instead of deform. Their expensive models contain the same core component as cheap models so they just fudge the spec sheet to create fake performance stratification. There might be an honest headphone company out there, but I'm not sure who it is. But yes if I were shopping, I'd consider Sennheiser.

PS it's Sennheiser, two S's, two n's. if you ordered Senheisser or Sorny, it's likely a China knock off. :-)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X