Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heated Garage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by squish View Post
    So what is one of those natural gas garage heaters worth anyway?

I have an attached insulated garage, that in these super cold temps goes down to about -10, usually it hovers around 0 most of the winter. But I think keeping it at 5C or something like that would be very good. I don't have gas in the garage though, but have pretty easy access from my utility room through a wall into the garage. That would obviously be a significant cost to run, but I think I might have a friend that can do it.
    They are around $500-800 for the heater and then about $300-400 for the chimney kit. The natural gas line and install is probably around $300-500 as well. All in you would be around $2,000. I did most of the install myself and then got a plumber to run the gas line and hook it. They are needed as you will need a permit and I think you need to be a plumber to buy the natural gas line. I was told not to use a radiant heater if I am store cars for an extended time in the garage. The neighbor has a radiant heater and the humidity in his garage seems quite a bit higher than mine. I'm assuming because there isn't as much air flow.

Edit: I just looked at peavey mart and the big Mr Heater is $599 and the smaller one is $529. Also, the chimney kit is $499. I have the smaller one and it is more than enough for my garage which is 24' x 22'.
    Last edited by kbench55; 02-15-2019, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyree View Post
      I have a big detached garage (26x30) that is well insulated. I have a little electric heater on a wifi timer and a fan blowing to circulate the air. It was above zero all winter until that cold snap in January and we finally turned the little heater on. So we keep the temp just a bit below zero so all the crap the vehicles bring in can be swept out instead of melting. Plus we have two freezers out there as well as my truck, my midlife crisis and the wife's SUV.
      Lol, I'm trying not to call mine that.

Comment

Originally posted by kbench55 View Post

They are around $500-800 for the heater and then about $300-400 for the chimney kit. The natural gas line and install is probably around $300-500 as well. All in you would be around $2,000. I did most of the install myself and then got a plumber to run the gas line and hook it. They are needed as you will need a permit and I think you need to be a plumber to buy the natural gas line. I was told not to use a radiant heater if I am store cars for an extended time in the garage. The neighbor has a radiant heater and the humidity in his garage seems quite a bit higher than mine. I'm assuming because there isn't as much air flow.

Edit: I just looked at peavey mart and the big Mr Heater is $599 and the smaller one is $529. Also, the chimney kit is $499. I have the smaller one and it is more than enough for my garage which is 24' x 22'.
        Does the chimney have to go out the roof or can it go out the side wall?

Comment

Lol, I'm trying not to call mine that.
          LOL. Was cheaper than another woman and the wife actually agreed to it. Then again I never asked her about the other idea...

Comment

Mine is sidewall, I think that's better for condensation.

Comment

For gas it can go out the side wall. You just need one of the caps like they use for gas fireplaces.

Comment

Originally posted by Bates View Post

Mine is sidewall, I think that's better for condensation.
                Yeah, sidewall would be an easier install too for my situation.

Comment

Originally posted by joedirt View Post
                  7C as that's as low as my thermostat will go. I had a different thermostat in my old house that would go down to 0 but I would keep it at 3 so plumbing wouldnt freeze.
                  If you have the rectangular old dumb style thermostat, if you rotate the whole thermostat on the wall you can set it lower (only attach it with the top screw).

I have a large garage, keep it set at 2 degrees, It keeps the car happy. I turn it up a bit when I'm working in it.

Comment

I went out the side wall. I think you live out in White City, right? Your more than welcome to swing by and check it out.

Comment

I have the larger Mr. Heater and bought it 15 years ago for $499.00. I think by the time everything was installed and permits I was around $1600.00.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmac View Post

Mine too. Is yours radiant heat as well? Was wondering if there is a reason ours can't be "shut off" completely.

This is our 3rd house with a garage, previous 9nes were just insulated. Love getting into a warm vehicle in the mornings.
                        No it's forced air. You should have an on off switch on the Tstat.

Comment

Originally posted by RiderHard View Post

If you have the rectangular old dumb style thermostat, if you rotate the whole thermostat on the wall you can set it lower (only attach it with the top screw).

I have a large garage, keep it set at 2 degrees, It keeps the car happy. I turn it up a bit when I'm working in it.
                          It's digital.

Comment

The house I'm renting in Ottawa has a garage but its too small for my truck. The poor girl has been outside all winter!
                            I've always had a garage before and man do I miss it now. Not having to sweep off the snow and scrape ice (which is a huge issue here in the NCR) is a massive plus!

Comment

Garage? Itís called a shop!

Comment

Originally posted by Rider Farmer View Post
                                We keep ours at 5 degrees Celsius, it also doubles as our extra refrigerator and our cold room. We have had it heated for about 20 years and wouldn't be with out it.
                                That's about all you need. Any warmer especially in these deep freezes you will be getting a lot of condensation in the fuel tank.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X