Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heated Garage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heated Garage

Those that have them and park their cars in them, what do u keep them at?

Have radiant heat in ours and keep it at 10 to 15 or so. First winter in this house and the garage is well insulated. Wonder how much it is costing me

Ours is hot water heat, and have it set at around 12.

Dont have a clue what it costs, I guess its just part of owning a home.

I know Mrs Magnum enjoys it, the other side is full of junk as my truck wont quite fit, or I havnt really tried it as it would be too tight to get around even if it did. When the daughter had her beetle and was still living at home that was parked inside also.

Comment

We keep ours at 12-15 C. Not sure of the cost but I can't imagine not having a heated garage.

Comment

Originally posted by inspector7 View Post
        We keep ours at 12-15 C. Not sure of the cost but I can't imagine not having a heated garage.
        I have an outdoor garage with an electric heater. TBH, the only time I ever switched it on was a couple of weeks ago when testing what circuit controlled the floodlights outside. I heard the motor start and immediately switched it off.

I can`t imagine what it costs you. Not gonna be cheap.

Look at your kwh last August and now and see what the difference is.

I m just thankful to have a garage that lets me start a cold car. i can live with a cold interior in a car that starts. it sure beats waiting in the cold for a bus.

Comment

We keep ours at 5 degrees Celsius, it also doubles as our extra refrigerator and our cold room. We have had it heated for about 20 years and wouldn't be with out it.

Comment

I used to think the same way before I put a heater if the garage, Actually I never had a garage till 2001 and was very happy without heat in the garage. At least I only had to plug the vehicles in a few times per year, never had to scrape windows or sweep snow off of them. When I eventually got the heater it was because we ruined fridges and deep freezers as well as froze all kinds of things that were not meant to be frozen. Once we got heat what a treat and our vehicles have this smile on them. If we ever leave them outside for a day you can see their scowl.

Comment

A non heated, non insulated garage, is Around 15 degrees warmer than outside. It's hard to believe how, but it is. At - 35 outside this year it was -20 inside. I'm more than happy with that and all the other benefits of being inside.

Comment

Originally posted by inspector7 View Post
                I used to think the same way before I put a heater if the garage, Actually I never had a garage till 2001 and was very happy without heat in the garage. At least I only had to plug the vehicles in a few times per year, never had to scrape windows or sweep snow off of them. When I eventually got the heater it was because we ruined fridges and deep freezers as well as froze all kinds of things that were not meant to be frozen. Once we got heat what a treat and our vehicles have this smile on them. If we ever leave them outside for a day you can see their scowl.
                It make sense for you and I appreciate that. I haven`t had to scrape my little car either in this cold garage.

I do treat the extra spaces like an extra fridge. I had some chicken that wouldn`t fit in inside the house so I put it in the big freezer outside. It was a sight colder than any freezer.

I think we agree on this. We do what we do because it suits us. We are not held down by any agenda, but just play it out.

I do cheap because it fits in with the way I live my life. You might want to pay a bit more for heating your garage to 5C. Who am I to say anything negative. I wouldn`t do it, but good for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Sprout View Post

It make sense for you and I appreciate that. I haven`t had to scrape my little car either in this cold garage.

I do treat the extra spaces like an extra fridge. I had some chicken that wouldn`t fit in inside the house so I put it in the big freezer outside. It was a sight colder than any freezer.

I think we agree on this. We do what we do because it suits us. We are not held down by any agenda, but just play it out.

I do cheap because it fits in with the way I live my life. You might want to pay a bit more for heating your garage to 5C. Who am I to say anything negative. I wouldn`t do it, but good for you.

Comment

I keep mine at 15 C. When I first started heating it I tried a month at 5 C then a month at 10 C and then a month at 15 C. There was no real big difference on my Saskenergy bill, maybe $10/month. However, it was not really scientific as I don't know how many really cold days were in each month when I did the test. My thinking is once it is at 15 C the heater only has to maintain that temperature and not ramp up to get it there.

Comment

7C as that's as low as my thermostat will go. I had a different thermostat in my old house that would go down to 0 but I would keep it at 3 so plumbing wouldnt freeze.

Comment

Originally posted by joedirt View Post
                        7C as that's as low as my thermostat will go. I had a different thermostat in my old house that would go down to 0 but I would keep it at 3 so plumbing wouldnt freeze.
                        Mine too. Is yours radiant heat as well? Was wondering if there is a reason ours can't be "shut off" completely.

This is our 3rd house with a garage, previous 9nes were just insulated. Love getting into a warm vehicle in the mornings.

Comment

So what is one of those natural gas garage heaters worth anyway?

I have an attached insulated garage, that in these super cold temps goes down to about -10, usually it hovers around 0 most of the winter. But I think keeping it at 5C or something like that would be very good. I don't have gas in the garage though, but have pretty easy access from my utility room through a wall into the garage. That would obviously be a significant cost to run, but I think I might have a friend that can do it.

Comment

Originally posted by squish View Post
                            So what is one of those natural gas garage heaters worth anyway?

I have an attached insulated garage, that in these super cold temps goes down to about -10, usually it hovers around 0 most of the winter. But I think keeping it at 5C or something like that would be very good. I don't have gas in the garage though, but have pretty easy access from my utility room through a wall into the garage. That would obviously be a significant cost to run, but I think I might have a friend that can do it.
                            Our realtor mentioned the radiant systems are like $3-5K to install No idea if that is accurate or not, it didn't sway us one way or another on the house.

Comment

I have a big detached garage (26x30) that is well insulated. I have a little electric heater on a wifi timer and a fan blowing to circulate the air. It was above zero all winter until that cold snap in January and we finally turned the little heater on. So we keep the temp just a bit below zero so all the crap the vehicles bring in can be swept out instead of melting. Plus we have two freezers out there as well as my truck, my midlife crisis and the wife's SUV.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X