Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saskatchewan v. Canada (Carbon Tax)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cflgridiron View Post

The earth temperature is increasing. Unless you don’t trust NASA.

https://climate.nasa.gov/vital-signs...l-temperature/
    A lot of good info for climate deniers in there.

Comment

• Originally posted by gilligan View Post
      People like to go with their "belief" rather than trust educated positions. That belief is generally based on how they want things to be rather than what they actually are like.

It is a growing trend in our society to not trust experience and expertise. It may be even worse in the younger generation than older ones. I'm not sure how we can conduct any science or make any societal progress in a society where opinions take the place of facts, or where what should be "fact" is just partisan that changes every 4 years or so. How do you make long term plans or tackle big problems if every government is operating in a completely different fictional reality than the last?
      Sadly it goes both ways. There was some interesting studies being done on the increase of Trans girls in adolescence that seemed to indicate a peer group element to it. The report was indicating that Dr should take more time before prescribing hormones to them if they have not shown any signs of being trans gender before puberty. This Dr got raked over the coals by Trans rights groups.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grainshoveler View Post

Well. .....was the SK flood and Ab forest fire global warming or not?
        Dodge, duck, dive, dip, and dodge. Global warming is, as the name suggests, the warming of the globe. Picking random events and asking, “is that global warming” is a nonsensical question. Global warming isn’t a flood or a fire. But, global warming might exacerbate those events. Feel free to read the science on those two particular events if you want to learn the cause and what factors exacerbated their effects.

So do you actually believe humans don’t affect global warming?

Comment

• Originally posted by danno View Post

Much of the issue with the large number of migrants fleeing Africa and trying to get into Europe are due to climate change issues. Countries like Chad, Niger, Mali, Sudan, Mauritania, are being swallowed up by an ever-growing Sahara Desert. This results in loss of livelihoods, disenfranchisement, and people turning to religion, in many cases extremism, with its promise of a better tomorrow. Hordes of people from all these sub-Saharan countries are flooding into Europe after crossing the Mediterranean in often dangerous methods. The easy response is to blame religious extremism, but climate change and its impacts are driving many of these movements.
          Countries listed by natural population increase which nets out immigration/emigration.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tural_increase

Perhaps we should be providing condoms to sub Saharan Africa as part of our climate change strategy......to save the environment.

Fyi I believe strongly that human activity is having a detrimental impact on climate change but there needs to be rationality on both sides of the argument or this will just break down to a tribal argument that accomplishes nothing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Guillermo View Post

Countries listed by natural population increase which nets out immigration/emigration.

Perhaps we should be providing condoms to sub Saharan Africa as part of our climate change strategy......to save the environment.

Fyi I believe strongly that human activity is having a detrimental impact on climate change but there needs to be rationality on both sides of the argument or this will just break down to a tribal argument that accomplishes nothing.
            One side just needs to admit they are wrong. The science is settled on this.

Comment

So you dont believe climate change is a contributor in this part of Africa to the migrant crisis?

Or is your post just about condoms?

Comment

• Originally posted by danno View Post

So you dont believe climate change is a contributor in this part of Africa to the migrant crisis?

Or is your post just about condoms?
                I don't know what is driving the migrant crisis. I believe there are more variables that need to be examined, including natural pop increases, before coming out with proclamations that the European migrant crisis is being caused by climate change.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mustard Tiger View Post

Dodge, duck, dive, dip, and dodge. Global warming is, as the name suggests, the warming of the globe. Picking random events and asking, “is that global warming” is a nonsensical question. Global warming isn’t a flood or a fire. But, global warming might exacerbate those events. Feel free to read the science on those two particular events if you want to learn the cause and what factors exacerbated their effects.

So do you actually believe humans don’t affect global warming?
                  You are dodging me. You refuse to answer a direct question. You answered my question with a question

Comment

I don't know what is driving the migrant crisis. I believe there are more variables that need to be examined, including natural pop increases, before coming out with proclamations that the European migrant crisis is being caused by climate change.
                    There has been much research done and much written about this. I didn't just make this up.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...refugee-crisis

https://www.forbes.com/sites/freylin...rder-security/

https://www.yesmagazine.org/issues/m...risis-20181017

Comment

• https://climate.nasa.gov/faq/

What’s the difference between climate change and global warming?

“Global warming” refers to the long-term warming of the planet.

“Climate change” encompasses global warming, but refers to the broader range of changes that are happening to our planet, including rising sea levels; shrinking mountain glaciers; accelerating ice melt in Greenland, Antarctica and the Arctic; and shifts in flower/plant blooming times.
                      Last edited by Supraturbo13; 05-07-2019, 03:13 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grainshoveler View Post

You are dodging me. You refuse to answer a direct question. You answered my question with a question
                        I answered you. You’re just playing silly bugger. I asked if you thought humans don’t affect climate change. You responded with a question, which didn’t make sense but I answered as best as possible, and then I asked my question again.

So do you actually believe humans don’t affect affect global warming?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cflgridiron View Post

Sadly it goes both ways. There was some interesting studies being done on the increase of Trans girls in adolescence that seemed to indicate a peer group element to it. The report was indicating that Dr should take more time before prescribing hormones to them if they have not shown any signs of being trans gender before puberty. This Dr got raked over the coals by Trans rights groups.
                          Yep, not a long of room for nuance nowadays. Only extremes. It is frightening.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mustard Tiger View Post

I answered you. You’re just playing silly bugger. I asked if you thought humans don’t affect climate change. You responded with a question, which didn’t make sense but I answered as best as possible, and then I asked my question again.

So do you actually believe humans don’t affect affect global warming?
                            From the time the first cave man sparked a fire they she affected global warming

Comment

• Originally posted by gilligan View Post

Horsecrap. We're one of the worst nations for emissions per-captia. We still run a bunch of coal plants that belch pollution into the air. We drive really fuel inefficient vehicles compared to the rest of the world. We barely use or support public transit. We're way behind most developed nations in renewable energy investment. Because we have so much cheap fossil fuels compared to a lot of countries, our infrastructure and society are just not set up with energy conservation in mind.

Yes, there are other problem nations that need to get on board, and because of their size it'll ultimately be more important that they do than we do. However, the US will never get on board with it if their neighbour and biggest trading partner are big laggards on our treaty commitments. If they actually took it seriously and went with some variant of the "green deal", and we kept doing barely anything, they'd get pretty upset about the competitive imbalance there (much like some here are right now). If everyone waits for someone else before making a move themselves, we'll end up with a real mess. We should follow our treaty commitments, with the expectation that other nations will get there too. We shouldn't refuse to act just because other signatories aren't moving as fast as we'd like.
                              So you're saying that the 2.6 million people of Qatar are the real problem then?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X