Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saskatchewan v. Canada (Carbon Tax)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by footballisgood View Post

And that needs to be changed too. There will always be a bit of a catch up when provinces like AB andBC grow faster but each riding should be roughly the same population.
    Canada isn't as messed up as the US but just about.

There is an electoral review every 10 years to ensure the population per seat within each province is the same but very little to ensure equality across provinces because of constitutional clauses.

Province name, AVG POP of electoral districts in that province, Value of vote in that province relative to the national average

NFLD 74,245 1.40
    PEI 35,727 2.91
    NS 83,963 1.24
    NB 74,710 1.39
    QUE 104,671 0.99
    ONT 111,145 0.94
    MB 91,312 1.14
    SK 78,454 1.33
    AB 119,623 0.87
    BC 110,668 0.94
    YK 35,874 2.90
    NWT 41,786 2.49
    NUN 35,944 2.89
    Canada 103,999 1.00

edit: Sorry I don't know how to post spreadsheets so they don't display messed up
    Last edited by Guillermo; 05-05-2019, 06:04 PM.

Comment

But did the liberals have millions of fewer votes than the conservatives last election?
      The liberals are governing with less than 40% of the popular vote. Trump is governing with 46% of the popular vote. At least in the US they have 2 other levels of government that keeps things in check. We hand just hand the keys over to a party to do as they wish.

Comment

• Originally posted by Magnum View Post

Quebec is guaranteed a certain number of seats, it will never be equal.
        Quebec can't have less parliamentary seats than it has senatorial positions (24) or seats than it had in 1985 (75) - Quebec has 78 seats currently

NFLD (7), PEI (4), NS (11), NB (10), MB,(14) SK (14) are all guaranteed the seats they had in 1985 which is why they have lower average population per seat than the national average.
        Last edited by Guillermo; 05-05-2019, 06:23 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Guillermo View Post

Canada isn't as messed up as the US but just about.

There is an electoral review every 10 years to ensure the population per seat within each province is the same but very little to ensure equality across provinces because of constitutional clauses.

Province name, AVG POP of electoral districts in that province, Value of vote in that province relative to the national average

NFLD 74,245 1.40
          PEI 35,727 2.91
          NS 83,963 1.24
          NB 74,710 1.39
          QUE 104,671 0.99
          ONT 111,145 0.94
          MB 91,312 1.14
          SK 78,454 1.33
          AB 119,623 0.87
          BC 110,668 0.94
          YK 35,874 2.90
          NWT 41,786 2.49
          NUN 35,944 2.89
          Canada 103,999 1.00

edit: Sorry I don't know how to post spreadsheets so they don't display messed up
          Thanks for posting that!

Comment

The liberals are governing with less than 40% of the popular vote. Trump is governing with 46% of the popular vote. At least in the US they have 2 other levels of government that keeps things in check. We hand just hand the keys over to a party to do as they wish.
            I get what your saying and in theory you are correct. But checks and balances do not exist in the US right now. And in Canada, the PMO runs the government now and has since Trudeau Sr. However, our constitution keeps a check from things going really off the rails.

Comment

I get what your saying and in theory you are correct. But checks and balances do not exist in the US right now. And in Canada, the PMO runs the government now and has since Trudeau Sr. However, our constitution keeps a check from things going really off the rails.
              The US has mid term elections and like we just seen, Trump is now hampered by a democratic congress. As I pointed out before, SNC happens in the US and congress and the senate is all over it, here, it gets a couple of weeks play in the news and then shut down with a couple of resignations, a couple kicked out of the party and life goes on.

I know the system is not perfect, but I believe that there are better checks and balances in the US system than ours.

Comment

The US has mid term elections and like we just seen, Trump is now hampered by a democratic congress. As I pointed out before, SNC happens in the US and congress and the senate is all over it, here, it gets a couple of weeks play in the news and then shut down with a couple of resignations, a couple kicked out of the party and life goes on.

I know the system is not perfect, but I believe that there are better checks and balances in the US system than ours.
                As they're finding out down there, the checks and balances are only worth the paper they're written on if politicians don't feel like upholding the rules.

Comment

The point you're purposefully refusing to acknowledge is that while the liberals only had 40% of the vote, they STILL HAD MORE VOTES THAN THE OPPOSITION. Trump did have 46% of the vote, his opponent had 48% - 3 million more votes.

Comment

California has 65 times more people than Wyoming but only 18 times more collegiate votes. It is a system that is no longer relevant. There is no reason that states with low populations should be over represented.
                    so whats the alternative?,..Just let California, Texas and New York decide every presidential election and don't even bother worrying about having an election in places like North Dakota or Oklahoma

Comment

Well, the SCOCís interpretation of our constitution keeps things going. But youíre correct.

Comment

• Originally posted by Green in Queen City View Post

so whats the alternative?,..Just let California, Texas and New York decide every presidential election and don't even bother worrying about having an election in places like North Dakota or Oklahoma
                        How about every American citizen decides who the president is by casting one vote, no matter where they live? If more people live in one area, so be it, but it's still individuals casting votes.

​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by green_machine_#1 View Post

How about every American citizen decides who the president is by casting one vote, no matter where they live? If more people live in one area, so be it, but it's still individuals casting votes.

​​​​​
                          Absolutely. One person, one vote.

Comment

• Originally posted by Green in Queen City View Post

Whatís your alternative then? Iíll bring this down to a municipal level, whereby a small but vocal group runs the show. I donít agree that ours is a perfect system by any means (P.E.I. has 4 senators compared to 6 for us in BC). As for the US, their electoral system skewed things. I guess what youíre advocating is equal votes by province or something?

Comment

What more were you looking for from the snc thing?

Comment

• Originally posted by green_machine_#1 View Post

The point you're purposefully refusing to acknowledge is that while the liberals only had 40% of the vote, they STILL HAD MORE VOTES THAN THE OPPOSITION. Trump did have 46% of the vote, his opponent had 48% - 3 million more votes.
                                I dont know, but are you a person who used the.............."Well 60% of the population did vote for ________ so they arent the real government" ............. phrase? JK.

I acknowledged it by saying that we also have a system where the governing party did not have the majority of the vote either. Thats the way the cookie crumbles.

I believe that the systems are set up that you can ignore a couple but you cant ignore the majority of constituents.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X