Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saskatchewan v. Canada (Carbon Tax)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saskatchewan v. Canada (Carbon Tax)

Mods, turf is necessary

Ya friggin Pigeon

I would have thought if Sask had a plan, especially focused on the farming end of things that that would make a compelling argument against the "national" carbon tax.

There is also the issue of smaller centers that dont have access to transit that have to drive to live.

A carbon tax is applied unevenly accross the Country.

Comment

Probably a safe bet that the court case will not be ruled on until well after the federal election and no matter the ruling go to the supreme court.

Comment

This is a marathon not a race of a court case for sure. The outcome of which will have broad reaching effects that go well past the carbon tax. Its about the federal government's right to impose anything upon a province.

Comment

This will be an interesting case to follow. I really think Saskatchewan will win. Regardless of the federal governmentís good intentions, I donít believe they can implement a carbon tax the way they are attempting to.

Comment

Big problem with the carbon tax the way the Liberals did it is the experts on the subject state that a reduction in income tax should move in lockstep with the carbon tax. This way it encourages businesses to reduce their carbon footprint faster as they will get to keep more of their money the greener they go.

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
              This will be an interesting case to follow. I really think Saskatchewan will win. Regardless of the federal governmentís good intentions, I donít believe they can implement a carbon tax the way they are attempting to.
              I think Sask will win at the provincial level but won't stand at the Supreme Court.

Comment

BC lawyer is amazing to the point. Great to hear his argument so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Giventofly
                  Of course. I bet a billion dollars will fix it all.

Comment

Political? Religious? Name calling? Not sure which one it's under.

Comment

Originally posted by Cflgridiron View Post
                      Big problem with the carbon tax the way the Liberals did it is the experts on the subject state that a reduction in income tax should move in lockstep with the carbon tax. This way it encourages businesses to reduce their carbon footprint faster as they will get to keep more of their money the greener they go.
                      I think they wrongly left it up to the province to do it that way if they wanted, not betting that some provinces would just say no to the whole thing. It can be done in a positive way, but that would have to be something nationally prescribed and not this province-by-province method.

Comment

Originally posted by squish View Post

I think they wrongly left it up to the province to do it that way if they wanted, not betting that some provinces would just say no to the whole thing. It can be done in a positive way, but that would have to be something nationally prescribed and not this province-by-province method.
                        What's wrong with saying no to the whole thing? If the entire population of Sk each lit a dumpster full of tires it would make no difference in the scheme of things.

Comment

Originally posted by Grainshoveler View Post

What's wrong with saying no to the whole thing? If the entire population of Sk each lit a dumpster full of tires it would make no difference in the scheme of things.
                          AS long as it is replaced by something, then no problem, which is Saskatchewan's basis for this challenge, based on the real dollars we have spent thus far on mitigation. But I do think the time of expecting any government to put forward no plan, or shun it completely is gone in Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by jollyrider View Post

I think Sask will win at the provincial level but won't stand at the Supreme Court.
                            It will be interesting. The feds are claiming it is national concern, but it is not a nationally regulated area. Energy is very clearly a provincial jurisdiction, until it crosses a border as a part of trade or commerce. I mean, that is why they tried mandating it upon provinces instead of creating a national program. So does an ideology (whether one agrees with it or not) trump existing legality? As things stand now, I think the only thing that the Feds could technically do is put significant charges (tarrifs, taxes, whatever) on energy and product coming and going from the province as a counter to it all. I can imagine how that would go over though.
                            #keepthepromise

Onward with escaping the hopeless fantasy of an artificial freedom and darkened picket fences the disillusioned front of friendly foes

Comment

Could a province just enact the "Not Withstanding Clause" and opt out?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X