Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SNC-Lavalin

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SNC-Lavalin

Quick summary:

- SNC-Lavalin is a Canadian engineering company. A former executive plead guilty in a Swiss court for bribery and money laundering related to projects in Libya from 2001-2011
    - Canadian federal prosecutors charged SNC-Lavalin in 2015 over their Libyan activities
    - The PMO's office is alleged to have pressured the then federal justice minister Wilson-Raybould to instruct the public prosecutor to strike a deal
    - After allegedly declining to strike a deal, WIlson-Raybould was shuffled to a different cabinet position. Today she quit the cabinet and hired a lawyer to help her determine what she can discuss publicly
    - The federal ethics commissioner has initiated an investigation into allegations of political interference

This has the potential to be a huge story. Let's keep the discussion civil.
    Opposition parties are demanding answers from Justin Trudeauís government amid allegations that the former justice minister was pressed to intervene in a Montreal construction giantís legal case. Hereís a primer

Could be big. I think at the heart of it is whether or not it is acceptable for a Canadian company to operate in this way with foreign governments. Its probably a lot more common than we imagine.

Regardless of that, it's totally irresponsible of the PMO to interfere at all. Just as frustratingly, the PMO can't instruct the RCMP to behave in a certain way (Chretien got in trouble for this), they also can't do that with the crown prosecutors.

Its unfolding, I think we'll have to see where it goes once the investigations happen. Politically, this may be the crack that the COnservatives have been hoping for to make inroads and they will rightfully make the most possible amount of hay with it.

Comment

Originally posted by squish View Post
      Could be big. I think at the heart of it is whether or not it is acceptable for a Canadian company to operate in this way with foreign governments. Its probably a lot more common than we imagine.

Regardless of that, it's totally irresponsible of the PMO to interfere at all. Just as frustratingly, the PMO can't instruct the RCMP to behave in a certain way (Chretien got in trouble for this), they also can't do that with the crown prosecutors.

Its unfolding, I think we'll have to see where it goes once the investigations happen. Politically, this may be the crack that the COnservatives have been hoping for to make inroads and they will rightfully make the most possible amount of hay with it.
      I think what it's going to come down to is whether the PMO's discussions with Wilson-Raybould were pressure or discussion. The PMO has admitted to discussing the case with her, but did they cross the line from discussion to pressure?

A secondary issue is the arrest of Huawei's CFO. Canadian politicians have told China they can't interfere in the legal process. If those same politicians are found to have interfered in the legal process for a Canadian company we are going to look bad internationally.

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick View Post

I think what it's going to come down to is whether the PMO's discussions with Wilson-Raybould were pressure or discussion. The PMO has admitted to discussing the case with her, but did they cross the line from discussion to pressure?

A secondary issue is the arrest of Huawei's CFO. Canadian politicians have told China they can't interfere in the legal process. If those same politicians are found to have interfered in the legal process for a Canadian company we are going to look bad internationally.
        Considering they demoted her or removed her from her position, I'd say there must have been some pressure to tow the company line.

Comment

JWR has hired a former Supreme Court Justice as her counsel to advise her. This is not going away.

Comment

I can't see the Conservatives coming out huge winners from this, but they will benefit to some extent. Scheer has met with SNC-L officials in 2018 about a deferred prosecution agreement. Plus SNC-L has done a lot of government projects here over the last decade. Plus with today's news cycle, it will be long forgotten by next month, let along by the time the election comes around.

Comment

One thing is for sure this issue is not going away for the government, not unlike the Mike Duffy expense issue did for the previous government.

Comment

Originally posted by footballisgood View Post
                I can't see the Conservatives coming out huge winners from this, but they will benefit to some extent. Scheer has met with SNC-L officials in 2018 about a deferred prosecution agreement. Plus SNC-L has done a lot of government projects here over the last decade. Plus with today's news cycle, it will be long forgotten by next month, let along by the time the election comes around.
                That's not the issue though. The issue is whether the PMO office unethically and illegally pressured the attorney general.

Comment

Originally posted by Bignorm View Post
                  One thing is for sure this issue is not going away for the government, not unlike the Mike Duffy expense issue did for the previous government.
                  Nor should it.

Comment

Originally posted by kbench55 View Post

That's not the issue though. The issue is whether the PMO office unethically and illegally pressured the attorney general.
                    But do you think that the Conservatives will be able to make hay with that when wanted to have politicians dictate prison sentences like they did with the "healing lodge killer case" (trademark pending)? What the PMO did was wrong, and a very capable minister fell on her sword out of principle, but in the current political landscape, I don't see it swinging a lot of votes.

Comment

This is a festering wound that is not going away any time soon.

Comment

Originally posted by footballisgood View Post

But do you think that the Conservatives will be able to make hay with that when wanted to have politicians dictate prison sentences like they did with the "healing lodge killer case" (trademark pending)? What the PMO did was wrong, and a very capable minister fell on her sword out of principle, but in the current political landscape, I don't see it swinging a lot of votes.
                        I'm not turning this into a political pissing match, which you seem hell bent on doing. I was merely correcting your mistake in the previous post. Also, not sure where you are getting that politicians dictate prison sentences from. As far as I know they were dictating where the sentences should take place.
                        Last edited by kbench55; 02-12-2019, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by squish View Post

I think you'll find most multinational companies based in Canada have ethics policies that preclude them from operating in that way with foreign governments.

Comment

This seems very similar to the Admiral Norman case where the PMO looks to also be exerting influence on the court system. I think both of these cases combined could very well take down this government.

Comment

ibtl, guaranteed or your money back

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X