Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nice night to be on the roof

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice night to be on the roof

So, no hot water tonight. Wife mentioned the other day that the pipe coming out of the chimney looked frosty, so up I go. Sure enough the air intake is full of snow. Pull the screen and ream it out with a piece of wood and all is good.

Since Iím up there I check the stacks. All are frozen over. Not sure how anything was draining. Pour some hot water down and consider it a productive evening.

p.s. It was cold and windy up there.

Just came in from taking the dog out and was looking at the smoke coming out of the chimney and wondered how much money was floating away. Never dawned on me to see if the stacks were covered.

Comment

One of our roof stacks is plugged right now, flush the toilet and the sink gurgles, once it warms up a bit it fixes itself, till then just have to make sure I keep the traps filled with water.

Comment

I wonder if that is why I have to pour half a bucket of water into the toilet. The heavy stuff flushes, but the toilet paper stays if there is no bucket treatment. It is a low flush toilet..

But it was this way last summer too.

To the OP, OMG but getting on the roof is just not worth it. Very bad falls could happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Sprout View Post
          I wonder if that is why I have to pour half a bucket of water into the toilet. The heavy stuff flushes, but the toilet paper stays if there is no bucket treatment. It is a low flush toilet..

But it was this way last summer too.

To the OP, OMG but getting on the roof is just not worth it. Very bad falls could happen.
          I hear a Chicken Call in that note .

Comment

Nah, he did respond last summer and thought the toilet jets, the holes around the rim of the bowl, were plugged. I reamed them all out, but nothing improved. So I don't want to bug him again. I just run half a bucket of water to flush down the toilet paper. That extra pressure from a sudden fall of water seems to do the trick with a satisfying glug as the tp goes past the trap. But it is not an elegant solution, I grant that.

Comment

I had to go on the roof a couple of days ago to unplug a vent. The picked up a 3 ft heat tape and stuck it down the vent and plug it in one hour each day and it seems to be working so far.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X