Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CBC investigation into coaches - well this is disturbing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Sofaking View Post
    I coached soccer years ago. Simply because no one else would do it not because I knew anything about soccer. It never dawned on me that someone would take that chance to abuse a child.
    The creeps are always thinking of the next way to slither in there.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by CalgaryRiderFan View Post

      I think for those kids with the parents hovering etc they should be safe as you said. But how about the kids who come from broken homes or bad home situations, where the parents don't show much interest in the kids' activities, go to their games etc. Heck it doesn't even have to be bad parents. What about a single parent with 2 jobs to make ends meet and relies on others for their kids' activities. IIRC in the Graham James situation, neither Kennedy nor Fleury came from what would be considered nurturing homes.
      Yeah, sadly, the predators probably identify kids like that early on as potential victims. Sends a shiver up my spine.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by squish View Post

        Yeah, sadly, the predators probably identify kids like that early on as potential victims. Sends a shiver up my spine.
        That is exactly what James did.

        Sadly there are a fair number of kids whose parents are not involved in their extra curricular activities. The reasons are many and as CRF stated, not necessarily intentionally. Those are the cases where it takes a village.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by rjrxs View Post

          That is exactly what James did.

          Sadly there are a fair number of kids whose parents are not involved in their extra curricular activities. The reasons are many and as CRF stated, not necessarily intentionally. Those are the cases where it takes a village.
          What do you mean by "not involved"? Like as in never at the activities because they just drop them off and leave?

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by pappcam View Post

            What do you mean by "not involved"? Like as in never at the activities because they just drop them off and leave?
            Yeah, it must be less common today that it used to be, but I would imagine that some kid's home life is not great, and their parents aren't that present in general. They are targets for these sickos. Other parents should be on the lookout I guess, which is sort of sad that we have to be, but its the way it is.

            Comment


            • #21
              Ya
              sometimes not even dropping them off, but another teammate having to pick them up for practice or even games.
              I have coached some kids where I never even met their parent or guardian.

              Comment


              • #22
                When I coached softball, in addition to the criminal record check, I had to do the Respect In Sport course from SaskSport which talks about all of this. I think the discussion is certainly out there. (And yes, I had players who I never met the parents because they carpooled with another player.)

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by carmen16 View Post
                  When I coached softball, in addition to the criminal record check, I had to do the Respect In Sport course from SaskSport which talks about all of this. I think the discussion is certainly out there. (And yes, I had players who I never met the parents because they carpooled with another player.)
                  Sometimes I get it, talking to other parents. I or my kids don't need to be scheduled to the max all the time but that's sometimes how it needs to be. Get the kids friend to take him to ball because little Suzy has ballet and soccer and little Johnny has baseball across town and then karate and mom and dad are going separate ways and someone needs to get the third kid to his activities.

                  Was at the Rush game on the weekend and it was pretty touching they honored a woman from one of the reserves, mistawasis maybe? and she picked up kids and dropped them off at all their sporting events so they also had a chance to play

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by carmen16 View Post
                    When I coached softball, in addition to the criminal record check, I had to do the Respect In Sport course from SaskSport which talks about all of this. I think the discussion is certainly out there. (And yes, I had players who I never met the parents because they carpooled with another player.)
                    We needed respect in sport for hockey and school sports. I donít think any others. It is a good course. Some of it is pretty common sense, but that isnít completely common. It does give one food for thought regarding certain circumstances. Many hockey leagues require all parents to also take the course.

                    I understand people are busy and not everyone needs to be at every event. I do think meeting your childís coach is important though. Much like parent teacher interviews. We have never needed to attend because of any trouble, but I think it is important to at least know who the people are that are having influence over your child.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      I see my daughters soccer team have ďbench momsĒ. They are there to tend to any problems and I suppose as additional pair of eyes. If it helps, it helps.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by rjrxs View Post

                        We needed respect in sport for hockey and school sports. I donít think any others. It is a good course. Some of it is pretty common sense, but that isnít completely common. It does give one food for thought regarding certain circumstances. Many hockey leagues require all parents to also take the course.

                        I understand people are busy and not everyone needs to be at every event. I do think meeting your childís coach is important though. Much like parent teacher interviews. We have never needed to attend because of any trouble, but I think it is important to at least know who the people are that are having influence over your child.
                        I went to a friend's son's midget hockey game last winter. The problem wasn't the kids, it was the supposed "adults" sitting watching. I was disgusted by a lot of what I heard and when I say that I don't mean swearing. LOL . It was the viscous verbal attacks on the kids as well as the referees. I came to the conclusion that it would be better if family and friends were not allowed in to watch

                        Comment

                        Announcement

                        Collapse
                        No announcement yet.

                        Announcement

                        Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X