Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CBC investigation into coaches - well this is disturbing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBC investigation into coaches - well this is disturbing

I figured this transcends sports. I found this number and story shocking to say the least

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/amateur-sp...nors-1.5006609

It makes one wonder what the total number would look like including other youthful activities such as music, dance and scouts/cubs/brownies.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyree View Post
      It makes one wonder what the total number would look like including other youthful activities such as music, dance and scouts/cubs/brownies.
      Some would be easy such as scouts etc to track. Music would be very hard.

Comment

That is disturbing. You know that if that many have been reported there is a whole lot more that didn't. I do wonder however what constitutes abuse? Just asking. If a coach pats a kid on the bum and says "go get them" after coming off the bench is that assault? I know it's wrong but I have no idea what the threshold for sexual assault is. I've had kids in sport for about 12 years and never even considered that any of the coaches may have done anything out of line.

Side note to CBC. Don't ever post a picture of Graham James again unless he is wanted for a bounty.

Comment

Originally posted by Sofaking View Post
          That is disturbing. You know that if that many have been reported there is a whole lot more that didn't. I do wonder however what constitutes abuse? Just asking. If a coach pats a kid on the bum and says "go get them" after coming off the bench is that assault? I know it's wrong but I have no idea what the threshold for sexual assault is. I've had kids in sport for about 12 years and never even considered that any of the coaches may have done anything out of line.

Side note to CBC. Don't ever post a picture of Graham James again unless he is wanted for a bounty.
          The article says "convicted" I don't know if the example you showed would generate a conviction or just a warning. I know a colleague's kid just turned old enough to start playing hockey and him being an ex-collegiate player got into coaching this year. He had to go through an RCMP background check before being approved. He joked about it cause being clean it was just a rubber stamp, but I wonder if that's just the local system which is so vigorous or how widespread that is

Comment

Originally posted by CalgaryRiderFan View Post

The article says "convicted" I don't know if the example you showed would generate a conviction or just a warning. I know a colleague's kid just turned old enough to start playing hockey and him being an ex-collegiate player got into coaching this year. He had to go through an RCMP background check before being approved. He joked about it cause being clean it was just a rubber stamp, but I wonder if that's just the local system which is so vigorous or how widespread that is
            As someone who has served as both a kid's sports coach and sat on volunteer boards, as well as had my kids play in 7 or 8 different club sports over the years, I'll just say that you always hope for the best. Criminal record checks aren't always complete and in some organizations so starved for any adult to volunteer to help, they are not even asked for. In practical terms, it was always to make sure you had multiple adults with multiple kids at all times. Also, a lot of parents volunteer to drive kids to and from events and there is really no way to oversee that as a sports organization unless people know ahead of time to keep certain parents away.

Also, the most recent respect in sports coaching module really emphasizes sexual assaults and how to protect yourself as a coach and a parent as well. It is awful that it has come to that, but here we are.

And sadly, with the way the systems are set up, even with the record checks and things like that, monsters like Nassar and James can still exist because until there are criminal complaints, nothing is really done.

Comment

I have coached baseball, and gone through the record checks. But I gotta say, if I or anyone else was a pedo, coaching baseball (or other sports) is about the worst plan ever. Thankfully, you are never ever alone with the kids, parents are hovering around at all times, and you are always always outside on a diamond. I can't even begin to imagine how that would work, without being so obviously creepy as to raise suspicion. There is,IMO, no way for a Graham James to get away with it anymore compared to how things were in the 80's. Or it is at least much much tougher to not get caught. So just imagine what this study would havbe looked like back then. Scary.
              Last edited by squish; 02-11-2019, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by squish View Post
                I have coached baseball, and gone through the record checks. But I gotta say, if I or anyone else was a pedo, coaching baseball (or other sports) is about the worst plan ever. Thankfully, you are never ever alone with the kids, parents are hovering around at all times, and you are always always outside on a diamond. I can't even begin to imagine how that would work, without being so obviously creepy as to raise suspicion. There is,IMO, no way for a Graham James to get away with it anymore compared to how things were in the 80's. Or it is at least much much tougher to not get caught. So just imagine what this study would havbe looked like back then. Scary.
                Read the report it was from 1998-2018. Some are very recent. Think about coaches offering to drive a kid home pick a kid up. Offer 1-1 coaching etc.

The report is good but I wonder if it would be useful for law enforcement to have age brackets of the kids and their sex.

Comment

Originally posted by Cflgridiron View Post

Read the report it was from 1998-2018. Some are very recent. Think about coaches offering to drive a kid home pick a kid up. Offer 1-1 coaching etc.

The report is good but I wonder if it would be useful for law enforcement to have age brackets of the kids and their sex.
                  I know, but I shudder to think what it must have been like in the 70s or 80s before any precautions were in place.

Comment

Some family members are involved in high level gymnastics. Luckily they’ve never had any issues but they know coaches who have been problems including court cases. Gymnastics creates a lot of high risk scenarios.

Comment

Without making light of any of this - equestrian? I'm assuming riders...

Is equestrian a sport?

Comment

Those are some shocking numbers.

My wife and I have both coached school sports, minor sports and sat on boards representing their associations. In some cases a criminal records check was required and in some not. Our school is pretty strict in requiring a vulnerable sector check (?) or something like that as well. Even a parent driving and not coaching requires a criminal record check. They are also quite conscious of the fact a record only occurs after you have been caught. They take complaints seriously and seem adept at finding ways to keep the volunteers to a high standard of moral character.

Like everything in life trust is important but so is scepticism. And like everything else we are ultimately responsible for ourselves and our children. It is important to be involved. Not saying coaches should be hounded but they should be approachable. You should get to know them and their beliefs and standards as much as possible. If you are uncomfortable, there might just be a good reason.

Comment

Originally posted by rjrxs View Post
                          Those are some shocking numbers.

My wife and I have both coached school sports, minor sports and sat on boards representing their associations. In some cases a criminal records check was required and in some not. Our school is pretty strict in requiring a vulnerable sector check (?) or something like that as well. Even a parent driving and not coaching requires a criminal record check. They are also quite conscious of the fact a record only occurs after you have been caught. They take complaints seriously and seem adept at finding ways to keep the volunteers to a high standard of moral character.

Like everything in life trust is important but so is scepticism. And like everything else we are ultimately responsible for ourselves and our children. It is important to be involved. Not saying coaches should be hounded but they should be approachable. You should get to know them and their beliefs and standards as much as possible. If you are uncomfortable, there might just be a good reason.
                          The record check is good, but I think the groups see it as a way to wash their hands of the responsibility a bit. "Record check passed, good, nothing else required." I think in light of this, within organizations, there needs to be a culture of self policing and monitoring of who is spending time with the kids and who might be trying to arrange for time alone with the kids.

Mixed into all of this is the culture of winning being more important than everything else, which is a reality that hit home for the Penn State/Sandusky affair. Winning was more important than legendary coaches turning each other in. IN Swift Current and James, winning and making the NHL was important to all involved than stepping back and asking why he was inviting these boys into his house.

Comment

Originally posted by squish View Post
                            I think for those kids with the parents hovering etc they should be safe as you said. But how about the kids who come from broken homes or bad home situations, where the parents don't show much interest in the kids' activities, go to their games etc. Heck it doesn't even have to be bad parents. What about a single parent with 2 jobs to make ends meet and relies on others for their kids' activities. IIRC in the Graham James situation, neither Kennedy nor Fleury came from what would be considered nurturing homes.

Comment

I coached soccer years ago. Simply because no one else would do it not because I knew anything about soccer. It never dawned on me that someone would take that chance to abuse a child.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X