Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm Still Wondering...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bosshodg View Post

That was me.

No wave was visible and no exaggerated rough waters. It all happened over a couple of hours if I remember correctly. More like a tide than a wave.

There would have been zero evidence unless you were there. Think tide.
    It was actually 8 feet in height?

Comment

Originally posted by squish View Post

It was actually 8 feet in height?
      We have a twelve foot section of dock. at one point I was there and the water was normal right at the foot of the pier.

At two different times in the next hour or so, the water moved above that line by about 4 feet, then below that line by four feet, then returned to normal.

There were many of neighbors who saw this.

Comment

We have a twelve foot section of dock. at one point I was there and the water was normal right at the foot of the pier.

At two different times in the next hour or so, the water moved above that line by about 4 feet, then below that line by four feet, then returned to normal.

It may have happened in the reverse order, can be certain now. If I reread my post I bet you I said it then.

Comment

Originally posted by squish View Post

If its a 100ft deep lake in some parts, it could be a slump on that slope but just under the water to cause it like a mini tsunami kind of thing.
          I like this idea, it would account for the wave and explain why there have been no reports of terrestrial disturbance. The trench that is over 100 feet deep is just north of Grandview Beach, its on the west side of the lake maybe 500 meters from shore. Its narrow, and I could see it slumping at some point. Could cause a small tsunami and leave nary a mark.

Comment

location of your dock?

Comment

Originally posted by prairiechickin View Post

I like this idea, it would account for the wave and explain why there have been no reports of terrestrial disturbance. The trench that is over 100 feet deep is just north of Grandview Beach, its on the west side of the lake maybe 500 meters from shore. Its narrow, and I could see it slumping at some point. Could cause a small tsunami and leave nary a mark.
              There has been considerable ground shifting on shore near there too, a few years back 15 or so cabins pretty much got destroyed when the ground gave way, its still a mess there too has slipped again every time they try and fix it.

Comment

That was me.

No wave was visible and no exaggerated rough waters. It all happened over a couple of hours if I remember correctly. More like a tide than a wave.

There would have been zero evidence unless you were there. Think tide.
                In case anyone was wondering, this was the original post:

I swear this happened yesterday on Long Lake.

In a little more than two hours I saw the lake rise approx 4 feet, then return to normal, then dropped 8 feet.

It was more than a little odd. Curious if anyone else on here noticed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mcintosh View Post

location of your dock?
                  Kannata Valley

Comment

Originally posted by go riders View Post

In case anyone was wondering, this was the original post:

I also remember it was an odd day weather wise, which is how the conversation and thread was started I think. After what had happened to the lake and the cloud formations our family decided to head home to the city early. We have expected a tornado or something to come through. This is what led me to the original thinking that it was perhaps the seiche with the help of some google searching.

Comment

hmm, Kannata is relatively close to the dam down the river and itís what, about 12 feet deep in the middle of the lake at Kannata? Maybe the opening and closing of the dam caused a seiche of some sort.

Comment

Originally posted by Mcintosh View Post
                        hmm, Kannata is relatively close to the dam down the river and itís what, about 12 feet deep in the middle of the lake at Kannata? Maybe the opening and closing of the dam caused a seiche of some sort.
                        Good term! Forgot about that one.

Comment

Sounds like a case for Project Blue Book

Comment

Originally posted by Rocket 88 View Post
                            Sounds like a case for Project Blue Book
                            Was marijuana legal when he saw this?

Comment

That lake hold a thousand mysteries for me, this is just one more My buddie's Dad used to take us fishing there, summer and winter. Every time he would yatter on about putting the rocks back in the lake. Like there's no rocks in that lake. We just figured he was early stage dementia. Put the rocks back in Last Mountain Lake. Right. So twenty-five, thirty years later I'm doing my PhD, one of the elements is federal/provincial relations. I read about the Prairie Farm Rehabilitation Act (PFRA), $30 million geared toward fixing the mess the feds made when they opened up the dry grass prairie to the plow. One of the things they did was create Valeport, that system of dams and dykes at the south end of Last mountain Lake. It was meant to be an irrigation storage project, but they never got that far. But they did dredge the channel and put big rocks along the bank. Is called rip-rap and its meant to curb erosion. Whatever it was designed to do, it didn't work, the ice came along on a windy day in spring and blew all those rocks back into the willows. I know, I walked back there one day and there were all those giant boulders just parked in the weeds. When my buddie's Dad was a kid he would go to Valeport, sit on those big rocks and catch walleye in that deep channel. The ice blew the rocks out, the channel filled in, end of that adventure. But he wasn't nuts, he just remembered the place as different.

Comment

That is a big lake. I remember as a kid in the 70s and visiting my cousin and going to Hendersonís Point. It just seemed like a big ocean back then.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X