Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Random Thoughts (3 maximum)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is Trump still in office?
    Is there an end to the universe?
    Why is there a difference between the American and Canadian dollar?

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
      Random Thoughts...

1. When it is -40 C why do so many drivers drive incredibly slow? I am finding here, in Saskatoon, people are driving 30-35 KM/hr on streets where the posted speed limit is 60. I get being cautious. But at least try to hit 50 on those streets. C'mon people.

2. I don't see how Kamala Harris doesn't win the DEM nomination for 2020. She checks every single box.

3. I think the Jays should sign Harper. 11-year, 330M. He and Vlad would be fun to watch together for 7 years+
      As someone who can't stand the Jays, please, please, please let this happen! Harper is such an overpaid loser

Comment

Originally posted by hihocarp View Post
        Why is Trump still in office?
        Is there an end to the universe?
        Why is there a difference between the American and Canadian dollar?
        Ummmmm, really?

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
          Random Thoughts...

1. When it is -40 C why do so many drivers drive incredibly slow? I am finding here, in Saskatoon, people are driving 30-35 KM/hr on streets where the posted speed limit is 60. I get being cautious. But at least try to hit 50 on those streets. C'mon people. ...
          I dunno about you, but I poke along at those slow speeds because I don't want to stress my car until it warms up - if it ever does. In my defense, I am doing that along Dewdney at 5 a.m. when there is no traffic, so I don't think I am inconveniencing anyone. I warm up the car for 2 to 4 mins before driving very slowly through the neighbourhood and thence on Dewdney. Any recommendations?

Comment

Originally posted by mrguy View Post

I'm still not used to that. I'm sure it is a cost saving thing now but I almost never remember to ask for it. I remember years ago sometimes they would throw in way more than needed. I'm sure a lot got wasted.
            1. Why does Sprout save packets of condiments? See Question 2.
            2. Is Sprout secretly a multi-millionaire? No but Sprout is solvent, penny wise and pound foolish.

Comment

Originally posted by Magnum View Post
              Why when its -35 and a windchill making into the -40s do people feel the need to go to a store or mall just because that is what they normally do?

Why are Walmarts self checkouts so rude? Superstores dont yell out commands every 2 seconds.
              I hate those self serve checkouts. When I hit Walmart, i have a lot to purchase, so I would rather wait for a real cashier who knows what she or he is doing.

My Rochdale Walmart has no real cashiers when they open at 7 a.m. Gotta do your own. I find the announcements more annoying than rude.

Comment

Originally posted by Sprout View Post

I dunno about you, but I poke along at those slow speeds because I don't want to stress my car until it warms up - if it ever does. In my defense, I am doing that along Dewdney at 5 a.m. when there is no traffic, so I don't think I am inconveniencing anyone. I warm up the car for 2 to 4 mins before driving very slowly through the neighbourhood and thence on Dewdney. Any recommendations?
                If you are going to drive 30 down the residential streets put it in second gear, it will warm up faster.

Comment

I hate those self serve checkouts. When I hit Walmart, i have a lot to purchase, so I would rather wait for a real cashier who knows what she or he is doing.

My Rochdale Walmart has no real cashiers when they open at 7 a.m. Gotta do your own. I find the announcements more annoying than rude.
                  I only use self serve when I have one or two things. More than that and it is quicker to go to an actual cashier.

Comment

Originally posted by Sofaking View Post

If you are going to drive 30 down the residential streets put it in second gear, it will warm up faster.
                    thanks.. Would that be low on an automatic?

Comment

thanks.. Would that be low on an automatic?
                      What kind of car do you drive again? There should be at least one gear between drive and low.

Comment

Originally posted by Sofaking View Post

What kind of car do you drive again? There should be at least one gear between drive and low.
                        It is a 2014 Nissan Versa Note , automatic with CVT (continuous variable trans, I think).

For forward gears, there is only D and L = which I guess means drive and low.

Comment

Honestly Sprout the faster you warm it up the better. A car warms up because of friction between the pistons and the cylinder walls. It's going to take the same amount of piston strokes to warm up, might as well do it in a hurry. Your car probably has an over head cam engine (actually sure it does). You want it to get warm and the oil up the the cam shaft(s) as soon as possible. But for the amount you drive I'm not sure it is a big concern.

Since I have a story, had to leave my car outside overnight Thursday, it hasn't been out of a heated garage since it was new and it's crazy cold and there way no way to plug it in. It started but it sure didn't like it.

Comment

It is a 2014 Nissan Versa Note , automatic with CVT (continuous variable trans, I think).

For forward gears, there is only D and L = which I guess means drive and low.
                            Sorry didn't know it was a CVT, not a lot you could do I think, I've never owned one. If you put it in low and keep it below about 2500 RPM it would be ok. I have no clue what speed that would be though.

Comment

I always drive a bit under the speed limit in town, especially with the high snow banks for 6 months of the year. If I'm holding up Darius or some other person in a hurry(the rush to Timmies) they should have left home sooner than me.

Comment

The reality is the internal components of the engine are probably already getting warm after a couple of minutes even tho it doesnt show on the temp gauge. Vehicles have a cooling system that circulates that has to get to operating temperature which makes it look like vehicle is taking forever to warm up.

Like you are already doing, it probably is wise to take it easy for the first couple of minutes driving in this extreme cold.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X