Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stupid parking violations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tyree View Post

I have seen videos on youtube of people that abuse the placards in Canada, the US and UK. It actually astonished me to think that it was as rampant as it is. There are all kinds of little tricks people use, hang it backwards on the mirror so that the date is facing the wrong way or to put the placard face down on the dash.
    Right and that is all I was trying to say. I didnt mean to offend anyone with my first post and I must not have been communicating that clear. I realize disabilities come in all different ways. My hope is that those that need the spaces can find them freely. That is all.

Comment

Originally posted by mrguy View Post

Whoosh.

So you agree it is wrong for people to abuse the handicap parking? It would cause your mother in law stress if she can't park there because somebody else is using it that shouldn't. It happens daily and that's a fact. Often there are multiple spaces available, sometimes not. I'm not in charge of writing tickets nor do I confront people as that's not my job. I have said all along that sometimes you can't tell just by looking.

However, The police wouldn't have to seize placards if everyone was using them legally.

Toronto police alone seized 1300 in 2016.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...onto-1.4375813

It is a real problem.

I know it is hard to sometimes see a disability on people but it really pisses me off when I see people that I am almost confident are misusing handicap parking spots. Just because you are using grandmas car that has a handicap placard, doesn't mean you are allowed to use it to park in a prime spot to go shopping if grandma is not with you but at home. Anyway that's my rant of the day...

"whoosh"

YOU don't get it. It is none of your damned business how they appear and rather offensive that you think you have a good read on someone after 5 seconds of watching them walk to or from a vehicle. What tells you that they have no handicap? Because they have no wheelchair? No cane? No visible limp? Multiple people have already echoed this, but apparently you have the magic power to know better.

Yeah, it is abused, and yeah, that sucks. The cops catch some of them, and beyond that it is pretty lame that you think you get to judge people because they have no visible handicap. I gave you a perfect example of someone you would not know that they had a disability, yet it seems you think it is fine to judge them. Most of these people are already bothered about perception, and it is because of people that have this exact attitude. That's not cool. You have essentially just stated that you feel it is okay to judge handicapped people and label them as potentially not being so.
      #keepthepromise

Everybody knows you never go full Gary.

Comment

Originally posted by Beacon.x View Post

"whoosh"

YOU don't get it. It is none of your damned business how they appear and rather offensive that you think you have a good read on someone after 5 seconds of watching them walk to or from a vehicle. What tells you that they have no handicap? Because they have no wheelchair? No cane? No visible limp? Multiple people have already echoed this, but apparently you have the magic power to know better.

Yeah, it is abused, and yeah, that sucks. The cops catch some of them, and beyond that it is pretty lame that you think you get to judge people because they have no visible handicap. I gave you a perfect example of someone you would not know that they had a disability, yet it seems you think it is fine to judge them. Most of these people are already bothered about perception, and it is because of people that have this exact attitude. That's not cool. You have essentially just stated that you feel it is okay to judge handicapped people and label them as potentially not being so.
        Yeah that is fair. I meant no Ill will but I can see how that came across. I'll be more considerate in the future. Cheers

Comment

"whoosh"

You should see some of the looks I get if I park in one of the spots in my Camaro. I told my nephrologist about some of my adventures parking in the handicapped spots and she was killing herself laughing at my responses to some of the people. I asked one woman at Wascana if she would like to come sit in a chair for 4 hours and get her blood drained and cleaned using some nice big needles. I have asked others if they can read and understand English, when there are signs right in front of them stating that the parking is for renal patients. "i"m just going in for a minute", "I don't give a **** what you are doing, if you are not going if for dialysis, park elsewhere" And then because I don't mind the extra walk, I will walk down to the security desk and tell them that there are vehicles parked in the dialysis parking that don't belong there and sometimes they will get ticketed. I find that most of the culprits are the parents of munchkins in the children's program

Comment

You should see some of the looks I get if I park in one of the spots in my Camaro. I told my nephrologist about some of my adventures parking in the handicapped spots and she was killing herself laughing at my responses to some of the people. I asked one woman at Wascana if she would like to come sit in a chair for 4 hours and get her blood drained and cleaned using some nice big needles. I have asked others if they can read and understand English, when there are signs right in front of them stating that the parking is for renal patients. "i"m just going in for a minute", "I don't give a **** what you are doing, if you are not going if for dialysis, park elsewhere" And then because I don't mind the extra walk, I will walk down to the security desk and tell them that there are vehicles parked in the dialysis parking that don't belong there and sometimes they will get ticketed. I find that most of the culprits are the parents of munchkins in the children's program
            yeah, I mean some are just blind to it all. The good thing is that if people abuse their placards, or let others, they can lose them. I think they need to do a better job ensuring that people with them are aware of that and it would stem a lot of it.
            #keepthepromise

Comment

Some people don't know how much life can suck. If I am seen holding on to a shopping cart in front of a shelf full of soup it's not because I don't know what soup I want. I'm trying to catch my breath. Yes that 20 or 30 or 50 steps closer to the door makes a difference to me.

Comment

yeah, I mean some are just blind to it all. The good thing is that if people abuse their placards, or let others, they can lose them. I think they need to do a better job ensuring that people with them are aware of that and it would stem a lot of it.
                What makes you think itís an awareness issue and not simple dishonesty by the person using it who shouldnít?

Comment

Originally posted by Marcus Aurelius View Post

What makes you think itís an awareness issue and not simple dishonesty by the person using it who shouldnít?
                  Isn't the fine for illegally parking in a handicap zone much higher and shouldn't abusing a card be the same?

Comment

Originally posted by jenius View Post

Isn't the fine for illegally parking in a handicap zone much higher and shouldn't abusing a card be the same?
                    Iím not sure what the fines are or even if it varies. As for equal penalties, I really donít know enough about it and how fine amounts are determined. In either case, the wrong folks are parking in the wrong spots to the detriment of others.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcus Aurelius View Post

Never said there wasn't simple dishonesty, simply stating that there should be more blunt awareness to holders. I've known a couple people who had them and didn't realize the consequence of someone else using them. Once they were aware, they actually took them out of their vehicle when someone else was using their vehicle to remove the temptation and protect themselves. I like to think that most people who have the placards legitimately need them, and that if they were more aware of the risk of losing them then the opportunity for dishonest use would be greatly reduced. As the owner of the placard, it is on you to make it accessible to others or not.
                      #keepthepromise

Comment

Never said there wasn't simple dishonesty, simply stating that there should be more blunt awareness to holders. I've known a couple people who had them and didn't realize the consequence of someone else using them. Once they were aware, they actually took them out of their vehicle when someone else was using their vehicle to remove the temptation and protect themselves. I like to think that most people who have the placards legitimately need them, and that if they were more aware of the risk of losing them then the opportunity for dishonest use would be greatly reduced. As the owner of the placard, it is on you to make it accessible to others or not.
                        Just to be clear and I'm not saying you are not the placard is issued to the person, not the car, not to an address... So if Joe blow is issued one he can use it in any car, Jane blow cannot use it unless Joe is with her.

Comment

Originally posted by Sofaking View Post

Just to be clear and I'm not saying you are not the placard is issued to the person, not the car, not to an address... So if Joe blow is issued one he can use it in any car, Jane blow cannot use it unless Joe is with her.
                          obviously. Hence why I am saying it is on the owner to make it accessible to others or not (aka leaving it in their car when they loan it out), and if it is abused they risk losing it. IMO they need to make it better known that one risks losing it if someone else is caught using it, then a lot of the abuse goes away.
                          #keepthepromise

Comment

Originally posted by Sofaking View Post

Some people don't know how much life can suck. If I am seen holding on to a shopping cart in front of a shelf full of soup it's not because I don't know what soup I want. I'm trying to catch my breath. Yes that 20 or 30 or 50 steps closer to the door makes a difference to me.
                            I would never give you the gears or anyone else for that matter.

Does your Walmart have the motorized chairs. Mine on rochdale does. If you go early enough, you can usually get one. One of many troubles with Walmart is that there is way too much walking involved. The stores are just too big.

That`s why I prefer No Frills in Rosemont. Small footprint and much closer.

Comment

My one and only parking ticket. I was running late for an appointment, parked and got out and ran to where I needed to be. I honestly just forgot to put money in the meter. Simple as that. The only stupid thing about it was me for forgetting what I was doing. Ticket was $10 or $20 I think. Was a few years ago.
                              Pretty cheap lesson, I think.

Comment

On the topic of parking violations, I've heard a few stories now where Regina city bylaw enforcers (?) are knocking on doors of people without approved driveways (concrete, asphalt, brick, paving stone). Regina amended a bylaw in January to target those parking on their front lawns. The amended bylaw is fairly specific in what a legal parking pad is. Funny enough (to me?), I've heard of 2 situations now where homeowners have been approached.

1 had a packed crusher dust & gravel driveway for decades and was approached by the city and advised the driveway is no longer legal per the amended bylaw. The homeowner risks being fined if they continue to use the driveway as a parking space. The owners options were "park down the street", or have your driveway properly paved, lay paving stones, etc. This isn't the case of an unauthorized driveway, rather, the previous homeowner took out a crumbling driveway and replaced it with crusher dust and packed gravel. The gravel is raked/topped up every year and looks better than some of the other crumbling driveways on their street. I understand the logic of bylaw enforcers threatening a fine (homeowner is being painted with same brush because they no longer meet the amended bylaw) but I got a bit of a chuckle out of it...

Under the amended bylaw, vehicles would only be permitted to park in driveways on the lot, approved parking spaces, carports or legal parking pads. Link
                                Where the parking area for a development containing four or fewer dwelling units is accessed from a street, the parking area, including the driveway, shall have a durable, dust-free hard surface of asphalt, concrete, brick or other similar material excluding gravel or slag. Link

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X