Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Traeger grill...looking for tips

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Bingo_Arms View Post

    Good call. I read that online as well that a blanket is important for consistency on a cold winter smoke.
    And then if it's really cold and you can't smoke anything, you can always wrap the blanket around you and inhale the wonderful smoke aroma off it!

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Tyree View Post

      One thing I have found that smokes well in the cold is cheese.
      I've heard but never tried it that cheese is pretty tough to smoke with out an elaborate set up for cold smoking. How do you actually get it warm enough on a Traeger to make smoke without being so warm it melts the cheese?

      Comment


      • #18
        I've got a treg and a green egg. Treg is great for setting and forgetting. The insulated cover for winter is clutch for sure. I'd also make sure you continually change the tinfoil on the long flat plate below the grate between every other use. keeps things much cleaner in the long run. The Treg book that comes with the grill has some pretty good recipes. The temp probes are great if your unit came with them. Use them. get used to cooking to internal temp instead of time based cooking. Pellets seem to go quickly so always make sure you have an extra bag laying around. Enjoy it.. Its a great entry level smoker!

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Sofaking View Post

          I've heard but never tried it that cheese is pretty tough to smoke with out an elaborate set up for cold smoking. How do you actually get it warm enough on a Traeger to make smoke without being so warm it melts the cheese?
          I have a Louisiana Grill, not a Traeger, but I just use one of these to cold smoke:

          A-MAZE-N Pellet Smoker https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B007ROPJ1M/..._53VwCbCW152RE

          Minimum setting on my grill is 180 and that would melt the cheese. This thing produces a lot of smoke with very little heat.

          I have a bunch more cheese to smoke as soon as it's not crazy cold out.
          Is it May yet?

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by juice View Post

            I have a Louisiana Grill, not a Traeger, but I just use one of these to cold smoke:

            A-MAZE-N Pellet Smoker https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B007ROPJ1M/..._53VwCbCW152RE

            Minimum setting on my grill is 180 and that would melt the cheese. This thing produces a lot of smoke with very little heat.

            I have a bunch more cheese to smoke as soon as it's not crazy cold out.
            I've never seen one of those. When I got my WSM I went touring the internet looking how to figure out how to smoke cheese on it, none of what I found looked that simple.

            Comment


            • #21
              Speaking of blankets/insulated covers....found this one on the web. Seems to be pretty good reviews and it is about half the price of genuine Traeger ones up in Canada..even with exchange and shipping. Anyone have or know someone who has one? May have to pick one up.

              https://directigniter.com/product/tr...S%2C+22+SERIES

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by bigmac View Post
                Speaking of blankets/insulated covers....found this one on the web. Seems to be pretty good reviews and it is about half the price of genuine Traeger ones up in Canada..even with exchange and shipping. Anyone have or know someone who has one? May have to pick one up.

                https://directigniter.com/product/tr...S%2C+22+SERIES
                As was mentioned you can just go to Princess harbor and buy a welding blanket.

                Comment


                • #23
                  My only disclaimer to the pellet smokers for myself is I don't cook steaks on them. I like to sear my steaks at 800-1000 degrees then bake them the rest of the way and the pellet smokers just can't do that. Hence my use of the egg. I know some people enjoy steaks on pellet machines its just not for me personally.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by berbs View Post
                    My only disclaimer to the pellet smokers for myself is I don't cook steaks on them. I like to sear my steaks at 800-1000 degrees then bake them the rest of the way and the pellet smokers just can't do that. Hence my use of the egg. I know some people enjoy steaks on pellet machines its just not for me personally.
                    This is one of the things that sets the Louisiana Grills apart. You can open up the heat deflector and sear pr cook right over the flames. Might not hit 1000 but probably close.
                    Is it May yet?

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by juice View Post

                      This is one of the things that sets the Louisiana Grills apart. You can open up the heat deflector and sear pr cook right over the flames. Might not hit 1000 but probably close.
                      Good to know for people wanting to get higher temps. I'm guessing you could take the flat plate the distributes the indirect heat through out the grill to get a bit hotter on a traeger

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by berbs View Post

                        Good to know for people wanting to get higher temps. I'm guessing you could take the flat plate the distributes the indirect heat through out the grill to get a bit hotter on a traeger
                        Yeah, the LGs (and I think some of the Pit Boss models) have a sliding plate so you can open it up. That's how I sear my sous vide steaks.
                        Is it May yet?

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by juice View Post

                          Yeah, the LGs (and I think some of the Pit Boss models) have a sliding plate so you can open it up. That's how I sear my sous vide steaks.
                          Yeah, you slide that thing open on the LG and its nuclear in there!

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by squish View Post

                            Yeah, you slide that thing open on the LG and its nuclear in there!
                            Totally. You can only set it as high as 600, but one of the reps from the company told me that they have measured temperatures over 900 above the flames.
                            Is it May yet?

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              I've had a Traegar for close to 15 years. Some sound advice in the thread so far. Keep pellets on hand and make sure to keep them bone dry in a sealed container. I've had snow blow in and they turn to mush. Don't use pellets if they turn to sawdust. Check that the hopper is full before you start. Occasionally vacuum out the soot for optimal performance.

                              The only beef mine sees is brisket. It is great for salmon, ribs and chicken. I intend to use it to smoke some bacon soon and could use some tips for that if anyone has some experience.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Rocket 88 View Post
                                I've had a Traegar for close to 15 years. Some sound advice in the thread so far. Keep pellets on hand and make sure to keep them bone dry in a sealed container. I've had snow blow in and they turn to mush. Don't use pellets if they turn to sawdust. Check that the hopper is full before you start. Occasionally vacuum out the soot for optimal performance.

                                The only beef mine sees is brisket. It is great for salmon, ribs and chicken. I intend to use it to smoke some bacon soon and could use some tips for that if anyone has some experience.
                                I bought a couple of large dog food bins with a lid that seals really good. Keep it in the garage and they work great

                                Comment

                                Announcement

                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

                                Announcement

                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X