Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Traeger grill...looking for tips

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New Traeger grill...looking for tips

    My awesome family got me a Traeger grill for my bday. Too damn cold to set it up yet, but thought I would troll here for some tips/tricks/recipes.

    Anyone able to help a brother out?

  • #2
    I just got one late in the fall. Havenít had much of a chance to use it but the couple times I have itís been great. The temperature is so consistent. I smoked burgers one day on it and was blown away by how good they were! I really want to try some longer smokes when the weather warms up a bit.

    Make sure you follow the insteuctions amd give it its ďinitial firingĒ. There are good videos on You Tube to help.

    The Traeger App is really good and Iíd suggest downloading it. Itís got all sorts of receipes and you can filter by type of meat, vegetable etc or just do a search. All the recipes are graded on how complex it is to cook.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Bingo_Arms View Post
      I just got one late in the fall. Havenít had much of a chance to use it but the couple times I have itís been great. The temperature is so consistent. I smoked burgers one day on it and was blown away by how good they were! I really want to try some longer smokes when the weather warms up a bit.

      Make sure you follow the insteuctions amd give it its ďinitial firingĒ. There are good videos on You Tube to help.

      The Traeger App is really good and Iíd suggest downloading it. Itís got all sorts of receipes and you can filter by type of meat, vegetable etc or just do a search. All the recipes are graded on how complex it is to cook.
      Thanks B_A. I may have to PM you once in a while. :-)

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by The Hold View Post

        Thanks B_A. I may have to PM you once in a while. :-)
        Please do. To be honest Iím just ďlearningĒ it myself so Iíd love to hear what works for you or what hasnít worked out. Iím definitely excited to get rolling. Football season will be taken to new heights this year.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Bingo_Arms View Post

          Please do. To be honest Iím just ďlearningĒ it myself so Iíd love to hear what works for you or what hasnít worked out. Iím definitely excited to get rolling. Football season will be taken to new heights this year.
          Now you need a Sous Vide.

          Comment


          • #6
            Have had ours for about 7 years now and still love it. Best things I like on there are wings (buy them frozen by the case at costco, cook them on high for about 45 mins turning once and then toss in your favorite sauce), whole chickens (the Traeger chicken challenge spice is awesome, though a little salty) and ribs (the 321 method is great). The Traeger salmon recipe with Italian dressing is good also.

            This site has been a great resource for me. https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...ed-pork-recipe Their rib and pulled pork recipes are awesome. The memphis meat dust is cheap and easy to make and tastes great.

            Comment


            • #7
              Don't have a Traeger, but have a Louisiana pellet grill, very similar I'm told. Yeah, what everyone has said, 3-2-1 ribs have never failed me. A pork shoulder or beef roast, take your time at 225, chicken, do it it higher 300-325 to avoid rubbery skin.
              As a general statement, I would say its pretty hard to screw anything up, and I think I've also learned to not overdo or overthink the seasonings and sauces. A brisket seasoned with nothing other than salt and pepper is a great thing.

              Comment


              • #8
                I have no tips G, but would like to confirm my availability and interest for your next bbq extravaganza

                Comment


                • #9
                  For winter use go to Princess Auto and get a cheap welding blanket for insulation. Helps in colder temps

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by CalgaryRiderFan View Post
                    I have no tips G, but would like to confirm my availability and interest for your next bbq extravaganza
                    Consider yourself invited, but let me work on the technique a bit.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Thanks all for the tips. Can't wait to use the damn thing.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Back40Qb View Post
                        For winter use go to Princess Auto and get a cheap welding blanket for insulation. Helps in colder temps
                        Good call. I read that online as well that a blanket is important for consistency on a cold winter smoke.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Bingo_Arms View Post

                          Good call. I read that online as well that a blanket is important for consistency on a cold winter smoke.
                          One thing I have found that smokes well in the cold is cheese.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Tyree View Post

                            One thing I have found that smokes well in the cold is cheese.
                            Hmmm good to know!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Bingo_Arms View Post

                              Hmmm good to know!
                              Gouda, havarti,and the softer cheeses seem to take smoke very well but a warning. You cannot eat it right away, it needs two weeks in a vacuum pack to mellow out the flavour. I have been told that to consume it immediately is akin to licking an ashtray. LOL
                              Last edited by Tyree; 02-05-2019, 06:33 PM.

                              Comment

                              Announcement

                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

                              Announcement

                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X