Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game Day eats thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flatlandriderfan View Post

The Rams are good, but do you think they are that good!!!!
    Ya that's it lol

Comment

Originally posted by Tyree View Post

You don't have to make hot wings, Sprout. You could make them with BBQ sauce, honey garlic, teriyaki or just plain old salt and pepper. I used to dust them with a combination of flour and corn starch (for crispiness) and put some seasoning in it. Salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, oregano,thyme and sage and then just eat them plain.
      Thanks - those are good ideas. I will be putting BBQ sauce on this batch, though. Not much point doing it before cooking when the slow cooker method yields so much liquid and dilutes anything you might add.
      Last edited by Sprout; 02-04-2019, 05:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sprout View Post

Sounds delicious. But I shall tell you what I did for my chicken wing fix.

I dumped about two pounds of split wings in my slow cooker and set it for high for 3 hours. No sauce, no nothing, because we don't care for it. Just the split wings.

After three hours, the wings were floating in their own juices just falling off the bone. Tasted fine to me. I used tongs to snag them all and put in the fridge for grilling on Sunday for a bit for a crust and maybe adding a mild dip. I saved the rich broth (about two cups) for another chicken recipe. The fat was was rendered because I put the wings in the pot without liquid . And the congealed fat makes tasty pastry too.

So easy.

I have some cooked bland chicken wings that I can dress up or dress down.I hate hot spice anything, so these might be a keeper.
        seems like a lot of work for someone that brings their own cheese slice to the ball park

Comment

Our instapot has really reinvented our cooking.

I did a bunch of ribs in it and everyone was asking when I bought a smoker. They turned out stunning.

A mountain of summer rolls. Often overlooked for such events

pulled beef. I wanted to do a brisket but changed my mind as I was just too busy

bacon wrapped scallops

wings. Actually made some. Usually we either get the cold cooked ones from Costco and wrap em in foil and bake (amazing) or buy from save on (They are generally on sale for big games and cheaper than cooking when they are)

perogies with all the fixings

a couple salads and a bunch of cold veggies.

Homemade squash tortilla chips and salsa. Normal chips generally don't enter our house, and these are a delicious and healthier alternative
          #keepthepromise

Everybody knows you never go full Gary.

Comment

Originally posted by Beacon.x View Post
            Our instapot has really reinvented our cooking.

I did a bunch of ribs in it and everyone was asking when I bought a smoker. They turned out stunning.

A mountain of summer rolls. Often overlooked for such events

pulled beef. I wanted to do a brisket but changed my mind as I was just too busy

bacon wrapped scallops

wings. Actually made some. Usually we either get the cold cooked ones from Costco and wrap em in foil and bake (amazing) or buy from save on (They are generally on sale for big games and cheaper than cooking when they are)

perogies with all the fixings

a couple salads and a bunch of cold veggies.

Homemade squash tortilla chips and salsa. Normal chips generally don't enter our house, and these are a delicious and healthier alternative
            Ok Beacon, I hafta ask... how did you make these? Sounds like something the wife would like... and me too! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by goaltender61 View Post

seems like a lot of work for someone that brings their own cheese slice to the ball park
              Haha! Two actualies:
              1. I didn't bring cheese to the stadium. I thought about it though.
              2. What could be easier than dumping the wings into the crockpot and fishing them out three hours later?

Comment

Originally posted by Sprout View Post

Haha! Two actualies:
                1. I didn't bring cheese to the stadium. I thought about it though.
                2. What could be easier than dumping the wings into the crockpot and fishing them out three hours later?
                Sure cooking them in a slow cooker isn't a bad idea at all but I have to say you have to put something on them. Salt and pepper or a greek spice of some sort. I've been to a few parties where people cook wings and try to make them too hot. Not my cup of tea, either a mild BBQ sauce or just a bit of seasoning and I'm good.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyree View Post

Ok Beacon, I hafta ask... how did you make these? Sounds like something the wife would like... and me too! LOL
                  They are pretty simple really. I think I posted a few recipes on the old site, and I can again I guess. We make both soft shells and chips. The big difference is to stick with dryer ingredients for the chips.

There are 2 different ways of doing it:

1 - If you have a really hearty/dense squash like a buttercup or delicate you can actually just slice them and do it like you were making homemade chips. Basically you slice them and put them in boiling water for a couple minutes (doing this is critical) then let them cool. Get em dry and then oil em lightly. I like sunflowerseed oil, but to each their own. dash some spices to flavor or even parmesan or such. Spread well and back at 375-400 for 20 minutes. Boom

2 - You can do variations of this for shells or for chips. 1lb ish of squash grated, 1/2 cup flower (you can use different kinds for different effects. I like the Kirkland Almond flour from Costco), a couple eggs. 1 super fine minced onion, a healthy pinch of baking powder (make sure it is not soda), 1/4 -1/3 cup of oat fiber or a similar granular substitute (ie you can use bran fiber or something else, or even just take unflavored oats/porridge to a blender for a second, just don't use oat flour or anything even though most bakers will tell you that subbing it out 1:4 is fine, as you really want granular for this).

From there, add some seasonings to your liking. I like adding some garlic, but make sure you try to stick to powders over salts. But basil, oregano, whatever turns your crank. I generally add some cheese. If it is for chips, again, go dry. I will actually often add that dry parmesan from the shelf (rare time I use that stuff) and probably 1/2 a cup I guess.

put on sheets as desired and bake for probably 5-8 at 375 then flip. For me, I put a baking sheet down on a pan, pam it, then spread the stuff out over the full thing then cook. Once it looks browned I have another pan prepped the same. Take the pan out of the oven and put the empty pan atop it, flip, smack, put new pan in oven and it has the flipped goods on it, kook till brown, get the next pan filled. You can actually get flipping through these pretty fast by doing this and from start to finish on a bigger batch you can do like 10 pans in an hour if you cook 2 pans at once, which is a lot of chips. let em cool, break em up. You have to play with thinness and cooking time till you figure it out, but worst case is it ends up more of a cracker than a chi[p.
                  #keepthepromise

Everybody knows you never go full Gary.

Comment

Originally posted by Sofaking View Post

Sure cooking them in a slow cooker isn't a bad idea at all but I have to say you have to put something on them. Salt and pepper or a greek spice of some sort. I've been to a few parties where people cook wings and try to make them too hot. Not my cup of tea, either a mild BBQ sauce or just a bit of seasoning and I'm good.
                    I sure did, after cooking them. We sauced them up with Baby Ray's or just plain gravy. But we did that after cooking because so much fat renders out in the slow cooker process that it is kind of pointless to do until they are cooked.

I do like the slow cooker for a lot of things. I like crisp and crunchy, so this might have been a one-of when I felt lazy.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X