Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Truck shopping ( looking for suggestions)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sprout View Post

Happy for you with your new truck! Is it everything you wanted?
    Thanks Sprout! Yes it is is , Iím loving it !

Comment

• Originally posted by Unityriderguy View Post

Thanks Sprout! Yes it is is , Iím loving it !
      I love good news stories. Have a wonderful time on your vacation coming up too, my friend.

Comment

I love good news stories. Have a wonderful time on your vacation coming up too, my friend.
        Thanks! Man I wish with this weather that I was there now haha

Comment

• Originally posted by Sofaking View Post

The OP was asking about a new truck, no body gives a **** about your 15 year old duramax.
          The most ironic post the internet has seen in a long time.

We should all follow your lead and repost your exact words in response to your unrelated ****-*** stories nobody cares about that you junk up nearly every thread with.

Comment

• Originally posted by Unityriderguy View Post

Thanks! Man I wish with this weather that I was there now haha
            Me too, but honestly - i don`t mind winter if I do not have to go anywhere .I am happy as a clam inside my little igloo. BUT I am also happy for all who travel to warmer climes. Room for everyone!

Comment

• Originally posted by kcountry View Post

The most ironic post the internet has seen in a long time.

We should all follow your lead and repost your exact words in response to your unrelated ****-*** stories nobody cares about that you junk up nearly every thread with.
              It took you how long to wake up on that. I was trying to point out that literally every single truck is different. As far as GVWR, towing rating etc.. but apparently that flew over your head. Diesels are always going to have a less towing rating, they weigh a heck of a lot more than gas engines, just is. Short box, long box, crew cab. It all makes a difference and no two trucks aren't the same. So why don't you school me?

Comment

It took you how long to wake up on that. I was trying to point out that literally every single truck is different. As far as GVWR, towing rating etc.. but apparently that flew over your head. Diesels are always going to have a less towing rating, they weigh a heck of a lot more than gas engines, just is. Short box, long box, crew cab. It all makes a difference and no two trucks aren't the same. So why don't you school me?
                I was always under the impression that diesels could tow more than gas engines. Are you saying the opposite is true?

Comment

• Originally posted by Don Mega View Post

I was always under the impression that diesels could tow more than gas engines. Are you saying the opposite is true?
                  I guess we just got schooled.

Next thing we are going to be told that electric pickups will pull more and go further too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Don Mega View Post

You're total combined vehicle and trailer weight can only be a certain amount. The more your truck weighs, the less your able to pull. A diesel weighs more than a gas, yes, it can physically pull more, but legally not.

I've mentioned this in other trailer pulling threads, but most people pulling something, probably aren't legal. And RV dealers don't have a clue. I had one tell me my truck can pull 10,000lbs. Yes, the sales pitch is it can, but not legally. You have to look at the gcvw, gross combined vehicle weight, then weigh your truck and subtract. That is all you're able to pull. And remember, all the supplies you pack need to be included in the weight too. Secondly, you need to licence your truck for the total weight. The regular license only comes with 5000kg. When I'm pulling our RV, loaded with supplies, bikes, and a tank full of gas, I weigh about 6300 kg. You need to increase the weight on your truck license to that. If you have an accident, and you don't have your license topped up, or your over your allowed gcvw, you're in trouble.

This picture just shows the difference in weight allowed between diesel and gas trucks.
                    Last edited by Proudtobegreen; 02-10-2019, 07:41 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Proudtobegreen View Post

You're total combined vehicle and trailer weight can only be a certain amount. The more your truck weighs, the less your able to pull. A diesel weighs more than a gas, yes, it can physically pull more, but legally not.
                      This. Tow rating has almost nothing to do with HP.

Comment

This. Tow rating has almost nothing to do with HP.
                        Exactly. I went back and added to my post to explain myself better.

Comment

• Originally posted by Proudtobegreen View Post

Exactly. I went back and added to my post to explain myself better.
                          Good synopsis. I spent an entire winter researching after I bought my 3/4 ton. I was surprised how little I could LEGALLY tow with it. I bought a fairly small 5th wheel so I was ok but going down the road you just shake your head. Neigbor for example (the one with all the money) has 3 jacked 3/4 tons and about a 40' fifth wheel. He is WAY overloaded. At least he only goes about 10 miles to a seasonal site once a year but still. Well over $100k going down the highway with no insurance if something happened.

You start adding up everything you put in your camper and all of a sudden the dry weight doesn't mean a whole lot. Dishes cookware etc... 60 LBS of propane, beer, water, pop, groceries, a couple bikes maybe water in the tank. Gas in the truck, and 2 adults and maybe 3 kids it all counts.

For anyone who is interested this is where I got most of my information.

http://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index....123&Itemid=104

In short if you think you are close you are probably over and the only way to truly know is go to a weigh scale. I never did because like I said I had a little 5th wheel so I don't know where you would even go in say Regina.

Again any modern 3/4 ton can pull a house off of it's foundation, HP isn't the problem.

A diesel is nicer to pull with, they have more torque. I've had 2 Dodge trucks in the last 10 years, the 3/4 ton with the cummins, and a 1/2 ton with a hemi. Pulling with the 3/4 ton was basically no stress a fifth wheel is just nicer to pull. The 1/2 ton was a bit scary, I pulled a cargo trailer to Minot with it to pick up building supplies. It had lots of power but it was squirrely in a cross wind. The coil shocks in the back while great for every day driving suck for towing. There were stretches I had to slow down to about 40MPH just to keep it on the road.
                          Last edited by Sofaking; 02-10-2019, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Good synopsis. I spent an entire winter researching after I bought my 3/4 ton. I was surprised how little I could LEGALLY tow with it. I bought a fairly small 5th wheel so I was ok but going down the road you just shake your head. Neigbor for example (the one with all the money) has 3 jacked 3/4 tons and about a 40' fifth wheel. He is WAY overloaded. At least he only goes about 10 miles to a seasonal site once a year but still. Well over $100k going down the highway with no insurance if something happened.

You start adding up everything you put in your camper and all of a sudden the dry weight doesn't mean a whole lot. Dishes cookware etc... 60 LBS of propane, beer, water, pop, groceries, a couple bikes maybe water in the tank. Gas in the truck, and 2 adults and maybe 3 kids it all counts.

For anyone who is interested this is where I got most of my information.

http://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index....123&Itemid=104

In short if you think you are close you are probably over and the only way to truly know is go to a weigh scale. I never did because like I said I had a little 5th wheel so I don't know where you would even go in say Regina.

Again any modern 3/4 ton can pull a house off of it's foundation, HP isn't the problem.

A diesel is nicer to pull with, they have more torque. I've had 2 Dodge trucks in the last 10 years, the 3/4 ton with the cummins, and a 1/2 ton with a hemi. Pulling with the 3/4 ton was basically no stress a fifth wheel is just nicer to pull. The 1/2 ton was a bit scary, I pulled a cargo trailer to Minot with it to pick up building supplies. It had lots of power but it was squirrely in a cross wind. The coil shocks in the back while great for every day driving suck for towing. There were stretches I had to slow down to about 40MPH just to keep it on the road.
                            I will never understaand why anyone would put all that money into a truck and camper. Who cares.

Me, i am just happy to make it into a campsite and set up the tent or even better into a motel with all the bells aand whistles.

Why on earth would you spend that kind of money.

Does it appeal to yur wanderlust or something like that.

I don`t have it and I don`t miss it. I have had enough experience with lousy vehicles tht crap out that I am just happy with a motel. No extra costs and you drive away.

Comment

I will never understaand why anyone would put all that money into a truck and camper. Who cares.

Me, i am just happy to make it into a campsite and set up the tent or even better into a motel with all the bells aand whistles.

Why on earth would you spend that kind of money.

Does it appeal to yur wanderlust or something like that.

I don`t have it and I don`t miss it. I have had enough experience with lousy vehicles tht crap out that I am just happy with a motel. No extra costs and you drive away.
                              Story, since I have one. When the kids were young (youngest in diapers) we took off to the mountains with a Yukon packed to the roof with a tent. Half way up a mountain we decided to set up camp next to a waterfall. It was absolutely gorgeous country. We stayed there for a week. It was the hardest I have worked in my life. No power which was fine, they had a well for water but the foot valve didn't work so you had to pump this thing for like 10 minutes before anything came out. The only way to have a bath was to sit in the river which was absolutely stupid cold. And it got cold at night, walk 1/4 mile for firewood. Every day I was up at the crack of dawn cutting wood to start a fire. I loved the place because it was beautiful and peaceful but GD it was work trying to keep everyone fed etc... every day.

Fast forward about 3 years and I had a camper, not a fancy one but certainly an upgrade from a tent, I only paid about $7k for it. First of all we had actual beds which was nice. We had dishware, a toilet if needed in the middle of the night, a microwave, fridge, a coffee pot. If it rained we didn't have to worry about getting wet, if it got cold we had a furnace, got too hot we had an awning. Setting up camp was about a 15 minute job instead of hours. For me it was worth it. The truck cost a lot of money no doubt but I drove it year round.

Comment

Story, since I have one. When the kids were young (youngest in diapers) we took off to the mountains with a Yukon packed to the roof with a tent. Half way up a mountain we decided to set up camp next to a waterfall. It was absolutely gorgeous country. We stayed there for a week. It was the hardest I have worked in my life. No power which was fine, they had a well for water but the foot valve didn't work so you had to pump this thing for like 10 minutes before anything came out. The only way to have a bath was to sit in the river which was absolutely stupid cold. And it got cold at night, walk 1/4 mile for firewood. Every day I was up at the crack of dawn cutting wood to start a fire. I loved the place because it was beautiful and peaceful but GD it was work trying to keep everyone fed etc... every day.

Fast forward about 3 years and I had a camper, not a fancy one but certainly an upgrade from a tent, I only paid about $7k for it. First of all we had actual beds which was nice. We had dishware, a toilet if needed in the middle of the night, a microwave, fridge, a coffee pot. If it rained we didn't have to worry about getting wet, if it got cold we had a furnace, got too hot we had an awning. Setting up camp was about a 15 minute job instead of hours. For me it was worth it. The truck cost a lot of money no doubt but I drove it year round.
                                Believe me, I would never disparage those experiences. You were up to it and it made sense for you.

For me, I truly like the camping experience but I have this nagging feeling at the back of my mind that i need a back out plan. I have set up my tent at KIAs and regional sites, but always with the thought that I could drive the hell out if necessary. For me it is necessary because I have like 10 relatives across Canda and none is close enough to be of any use. So it is always about what is practical and who can I call.

Not complaining. I would only camp about two or three times in the summer and then only for a couple of nights before en route to some where else.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X