Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sears might not be dead after all?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pappcam View Post

So your orders weren't Prime eligible? Items are clearly labelled if they are.

Yes, the US Amazon has way more stuff but that's not really surprising considering it's an American company and the US has 10x the population.

I still buy from Amazon an awful lot so I get value from my Prime membership.
    Being able to avoid Walmart and Best Buy is worth the $80/year. Plus I'm starting to use Prime Video more.

Comment

Originally posted by Sprout View Post

I am a cheap bugger and would NEVER pay extra for Prime. Ordinary shipping works perfectly well for me. Heck I have stuff delivered two weeks ago that I have not even opened.
      We have it so we can watch The Grand Tour on Amazon streaming. The free shipping was just a bonus.

Comment

Not delivering to an lsd is also disappointing with today's technology. Often its less time consuming than going through traffic in the city to make a delivery.

Comment

Originally posted by squish View Post

The screwdrivers I bought were exactly the same as the old set my dad had from the 60's. Its why I bought them. A bit nostalgic actually. Maybe the metal wasn't as good, but I sure can't tell.
          Speaking of nostalgia,...

My dad still has most of his Craftsman hand tools that i can remember from when I was a kid, granted he's replaced most of them over time, but what as lot of what he still has are kicking around as a secondary set for in the truck, etc.

He still has the Craftsman trouble light I gave him for his birthday one year when I was kid, and I still have my grandfather's Craftsman Jigsaw and i still use the Craftsman toolbox that was handed down to me from my dad

Comment

Originally posted by Don Mega View Post
            I wonder if Sears simply had too much selection. Perhaps they could have focused on the product lines that they did really well with and dropped some pf the others. I'll admit, I didn't buy a lot of stuff through Sears, but when I did, I was fairly sure I would be happy with it. And it was usually on sale for 50-75% off. Speaking of which...has anyone ever actually paid full price for a cookware set? Like, $2000.00 for an 11-piece Lagostina set seems like an awful lot of money. But they were always on sale for 60-80% off. Canadian Tire still does this.
            I don't think I've ever bought ANYTHING at Canadian Tire for the regular price,..
            for awhile; my dad's favourite day of the week was when the Canadian Tire flyer came out so he could see what would be on sale the next day

Comment

Originally posted by Touchdown View Post
              The easy and obvious narrative is Sears didnt hop on the internet enough. That's not fully true or the whole story. There's lot of viable businesses that aren't beholden to the internet. Anyone here ever shop at Home Depot? Lowes? Rona? All have good businesses despite very mediocre web adoption. There IS a place for big box stores.

Sears' actual problems were more complex. They operated in a more noble fashion than modern competitors, even during their decline. They still sourced good products and imposed quality expectations on their white label supply chain members. They treated employees somewhat like humans. They used English speaking manual writers. They kept a well lubricated parts and repair chain going.

Rather than reward this, modern consumers said to hell with sears, I'm going to buy this slightly cheaper Asian washing machine from the pimply car stereo kid at Future Shop, I don't care if the same washing machine is featured on the news for frequently flying apart, I don't care if there's no repair depots west of Mississauga, I don't care if there's no spare parts available 13 months after purchase, I don't care if this appliance won't outlast my T shirt, I just saved $150! Screw you Sears!

Compare that to a 20 year old Sears Kenmore that up until the end, you could find a robust replacement part in stock for a good price, with a clerk who could show you a clear diagram and how to replace it.

Another big part of Sears' demise was their executive boondoggling by Lampert with financial instrument leveraging and real estate through holdings company and debt machinations.

And all this happened while the world around them was exploding with ruthless competitors. Competitors who would use Chinesium instead of steel. Who would run furniture stores as a false front for writing usurious loans. Who would have zero service and repair infrastructure. Who would practice predatory pricing and dumping. Who wouldn't employ humans, or if they did, treated them like rats. Who would make and sell a heavy appliance with a two year design life or a pressure washer that's effectively a single season lifespan.

I know the easy one liner narrative is "Sears ignored the internet" but they didn't. Virtually every Sears product could be researched and ordered online, albeit in a fairly basic and non-glamorous way. The internet didn't kill Sears, but it's become such a pervasive myth you'll even find respected publications regurgitating that easy and self-circulating explanation.
              These are all good points. But I was thinking that Sears could have become Amazon, before there ever was an Amazon. I know it's not as easy as just saying it, and the part about getting the goods to the customer as fast as Amazon does is the hardest part....but if anyone could have done it, it would have been Sears.

Lampert, he is a whole discussion in and of himself....another tar and feathering candidate.

Comment

Originally posted by Grainshoveler View Post

I don't know about this Amazon speed thing comes from. I have Amazon Prime and anytime i order something it takes 2-4 weeks to get it. Their prices don't seem that great either in fact at times the are ridiculously high. In Canada they don't seem too have near the availability either. I hardly use them anymore.
                Not everything that is sold on Amazon is available for Prime. If everything you order takes 2-4 weeks to arrive, I would suggest not paying for the Prime membership. I live in rural Alberta and every item that I have purchased over the last 2 years that was eligible for Prime shipping has arrived in 2 days

Comment

Originally posted by Green in Queen City View Post

I don't think I've ever bought ANYTHING at Canadian Tire for the regular price,..
                  for awhile; my dad's favourite day of the week was when the Canadian Tire flyer came out so he could see what would be on sale the next day
                  I go to Canadian Tire every Friday which is the 1st day of the weeks sale here. We get the flyer on Tuesdays and if there is something I really want that's a good deal, I'll go Thursday night around 7:30 because that is when our store is putting up the sale signs on things and changes them in the till

Comment

Originally posted by flatlandriderfan View Post

I go to Canadian Tire every Friday which is the 1st day of the weeks sale here. We get the flyer on Tuesdays and if there is something I really want that's a good deal, I'll go Thursday night around 7:30 because that is when our store is putting up the sale signs on things and changes them in the till
                    Just shows how we always get ripped off in Canada. All that stuff is available overseas for a lot less. Iíve been in stores over there and Iíve seen it. Face it, we are suckers in Canada and the marketplace knows it.

Comment

Originally posted by drysaddle View Post

Just shows how we always get ripped off in Canada. All that stuff is available overseas for a lot less. Iíve been in stores over there and Iíve seen it. Face it, we are suckers in Canada and the marketplace knows it.
                      You purchase what is available to you, so I don't think it's being a sucker. I can't travel to overseas stores to purchase items, so Canada it is.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X