Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sears might not be dead after all?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ellipsis View Post

I read a bit about Sears failing to adapt a while back, and they weren't as well positioned to become Amazon as people think. Sears dominated mail order purchases, but those purchases took weeks to arrive. Amazon is successful because of their incredibly rapid distribution abilities which they developed and refined back when they only sold books.

Actually selling stuff from a catalogue or online is the easiest thing Sears or Amazon did, the hard part is getting it to the customer the next day without the cost of shipping being many times higher than the price of the product. Sears, and everyone else, were light years away from having that distribution capability and their mail order infrastructure wouldn't really have helped them much. It may have actually been harder for a large company selling thousands of products like Sears to work out the kinks of rapid distribution than a small (at the time) one like Amazon selling basically one thing.

It's really interesting to look at this stuff with the benefit of hindsight.
    Good points. I believe that there are still a lot of consumers who are happy to wait a few more days to get the product they really want. Sure, some people want the Amazon Prime speed, but I think the wait time was not what killed Sears either. Like someone else mentioned, Home Depot has online sales. I don't know what percentage of their business that makes up, but it exists. So, perhaps the internet didn't actually kill Sears.

Comment

I wonder if Sears simply had too much selection. Perhaps they could have focused on the product lines that they did really well with and dropped some pf the others. I'll admit, I didn't buy a lot of stuff through Sears, but when I did, I was fairly sure I would be happy with it. And it was usually on sale for 50-75% off. Speaking of which...has anyone ever actually paid full price for a cookware set? Like, $2000.00 for an 11-piece Lagostina set seems like an awful lot of money. But they were always on sale for 60-80% off. Canadian Tire still does this.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Mega View Post

Good points. I believe that there are still a lot of consumers who are happy to wait a few more days to get the product they really want. Sure, some people want the Amazon Prime speed, but I think the wait time was not what killed Sears either. Like someone else mentioned, Home Depot has online sales. I don't know what percentage of their business that makes up, but it exists. So, perhaps the internet didn't actually kill Sears.
        I don't know about this Amazon speed thing comes from. I have Amazon Prime and anytime i order something it takes 2-4 weeks to get it. Their prices don't seem that great either in fact at times the are ridiculously high. In Canada they don't seem too have near the availability either. I hardly use them anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Grainshoveler View Post

I don't know about this Amazon speed thing comes from. I have Amazon Prime and anytime i order something it takes 2-4 weeks to get it. Their prices don't seem that great either in fact at times the are ridiculously high. In Canada they don't seem too have near the availability either. I hardly use them anymore.
          Where do you live?
          I use Prime and get items within 4-5 days (in Regina).

Comment

Last night I ordered a book and a couple of toilet parts... they will arrive on Tuesday.

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy View Post

Where do you live?
              I am a cheap bugger and would NEVER pay extra for Prime. Ordinary shipping works perfectly well for me. Heck I have stuff delivered two weeks ago that I have not even opened.

Comment

Where do you live?
                I live at sw8-6-32w1. Get orders at local post office. I just checked my last order. Was msde oct 26......wast told to expect nov22. If i remember right i got it in dec.
                Last edited by Grainshoveler; 01-11-2019, 06:51 AM.

Comment

I live at sw8-6-32w1. Get orders at local post office. I just checked my last order. Was msde oct 26......wast told to expect nov22. If i remember right i got it in dec.
                  The item has to be eligible for Prime delivery. I get Prime deliveries in about 3 days.

Comment

Originally posted by pappcam View Post

The item has to be eligible for Prime delivery. I get Prime deliveries in about 3 days.
                    I get 3 or 4 day Prime delivery but I'm starting to notice more often that the Prime price reflects the real cost of this "free" quick delivery on items.

Comment

Originally posted by Bates View Post

I get 3 or 4 day Prime delivery but I'm starting to notice more often that the Prime price reflects the real cost of this "free" quick delivery on items.
                      Of course.

Amazon's "Price" is determined an algorithm. Noticed it first a couple years ago. I was out at the cabin browsing for some stuff. Was about to order something, but realized it was being shipped home (Calgary) vs the cabin. Simply switched the address and price almost tripled.

Have also noticed a few items with absolutely ridiculous prices. Something priced at $2500 for a $10 item.

Comment

Where do you live?
                        Prime in Calgary .. there is a significant amount of stuff available for 1 day shipping. I'll get those within a business day. Everything else is 1-2 days.

Comment

Originally posted by Mustard Tiger View Post

Red Apple still exists, there’s one in my parents hometown. Not sure if there’s any left in Saskatchewan.
                          We have one in our town

Comment

I have cancelled Prime but still have it until anniversary date. Most my orders aren't common household things . Thst might have something to do with it. As well so many things available in US and not here.

Comment

I have cancelled Prime but still have it until anniversary date. Most my orders aren't common household things . Thst might have something to do with it. As well so many things available in US and not here.
                              So your orders weren't Prime eligible? Items are clearly labelled if they are.

Yes, the US Amazon has way more stuff but that's not really surprising considering it's an American company and the US has 10x the population.

I still buy from Amazon an awful lot so I get value from my Prime membership.

Comment

Originally posted by pappcam View Post

So your orders weren't Prime eligible? Items are clearly labelled if they are.

Yes, the US Amazon has way more stuff but that's not really surprising considering it's an American company and the US has 10x the population.

I still buy from Amazon an awful lot so I get value from my Prime membership.
                                Icant honestly say if they were or not but by the sounds of it probably not.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X