Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sears might not be dead after all?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sears might not be dead after all?

Maybe I'm the only one who didn't know that there is still a slim chance that Sears will be saved:

https://business.financialpost.com/n...-alive-sources

I just happened to see this in one of my LinkedIn feeds today. I just assumed that Sears was long gone and forgotten, but apparently not. At least, not yet.

Does anyone think Sears has a chance of being a successful business again? If they re-opened, could they be an online store only?

Thatís Sears in the states. Sears in Canada is dead.

Comment

Sears is very dead in Canada. It stopped existing in January of 2018. It ain't coming back.

Comment

I believe I heard that Rona/Lowes is going to start selling the Craftsman brand of tools.

Comment

Originally posted by squish View Post
          I believe I heard that Rona/Lowes is going to start selling the Craftsman brand of tools.
          They already are.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Mega View Post

Does anyone think Sears has a chance of being a successful business again? If they re-opened, could they be an online store only?
            That shipped sailed 10 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Green in Queen City View Post

They already are.
              Ah. Haven't been in those places in a long while.

Comment

Originally posted by imschatz View Post

That shipped sailed 10 years ago.
                It seems crazy that they were winning the mail-order game decades before online shopping, but still couldn't adapt to compete in the new world.
                Is it May yet?

Comment

Originally posted by juice View Post

It seems crazy that they were winning the mail-order game decades before online shopping, but still couldn't adapt to compete in the new world.
                  You have to think .. at some point in the early 2000's .. there was a C level meeting at Sears where the question "What if we put our catalogue online and let people browse and buy that way?" came up.

Their response was probably something along the lines of "But what about all printers we just bought to print the catalogues?" .. In a perfect world everyone got fired for their response. Knowing how the next 15 years went for Sears, I don't think that happened.

Comment

Sears sold off Craftsman a few years ago

Comment

Originally posted by drysaddle View Post

Sears sold off Craftsman a few years ago
                      They were still selling it in the fall when I was in a Sears in ND, and were selling off everything before closeout. Bought a set of screwdrivers. Could be different in Canada, but I'm pretty sure I saw Carftsman stuff in Sears right up until the end.

Comment

Originally posted by juice View Post

I listened to a speaker in the last couple of years talking about how businesses take advantage of new technology to thrive and how others fall behind or fail. He used your statement in his case about Sears. He said with their tradition and success in the mail order game, they were totally set up to work off that infrastructure and be ahead of the game for online shopping. But deciding not to go that route was a colossal failure

Comment

Sears sold Craftsman right until the end. Although they changed to offshore made for quite a while.

Comment

They were still selling it in the fall when I was in a Sears in ND, and were selling off everything before closeout. Bought a set of screwdrivers. Could be different in Canada, but I'm pretty sure I saw Carftsman stuff in Sears right up until the end.

What the Sale of the Sears Craftsman Brand Means for You

Sears' sale of the iconic tool brand may make great products easier to buy
                            By Paul Hope January 20, 2017

https://www.consumerreports.org/craf...aftsman-brand/

Comment

Originally posted by CalgaryRiderFan View Post

I listened to a speaker in the last couple of years talking about how businesses take advantage of new technology to thrive and how others fall behind or fail. He used your statement in his case about Sears. He said with their tradition and success in the mail order game, they were totally set up to work off that infrastructure and be ahead of the game for online shopping. But deciding not to go that route was a colossal failure
                              Exactly. I'm in the wholesale/retail business and this is one of a few examples we talk about when it comes to having to adapt. The Blockbuster/Netflix story is a great one as well.
                              Is it May yet?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X