Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Truck Driver in Humboldt Broncos Deaths Pleads Guilty.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by greenandwhitesince82 View Post

Scott Moe killed a person in a traffic accident and he got a traffic ticket for driving with undue care and attention. 8 years seems far too much to me, but the sheer number of victims obviously impacted things. The whole thing was a terrible tragedy.
    The number that were killed makes a difference I believe as the guy who killed my brother in law and his wife only got 14 day driving suspension and a $2000 fine. Moe got off lucky.

Comment

• As long as people are in disagreement on the concept of deterrence there wonít be consensus. If you donít think punishment will serve as a deterrent to others or make them realize the consequences of not paying full attention then you will think this punishment is harsh and vice versa.

Comment

• Originally posted by imschatz View Post

Agreed.

Take the $50k a year it costs to incarcerate this guy and do something real with it.

Its not a deterrent. It doesnít do anything to ease the pain of the victims and their families. It does nothing to help prevent these sort of accidents from happening again in the future.

All that this accomplished is takes the cell away from a real criminal who is a risk to society who should be behind bars.
        This man's actions caused a massive tragedy. Let me assure you, he is a REAL criminal.

Comment

• Originally posted by DJR View Post

This man's actions caused a massive tragedy. Let me assure you, he is a REAL criminal.
          How many of the 8 years given to Sidhu would you trade to put this guy behind bars for another year?
          https://leaderpost.com/news/crime/hi...rea-say-police

Or the countless others like him?

Criminality requires intent. However you spin it, Sidhu didn't intend to kill anyone.

Comment

• Originally posted by imschatz View Post

How many of the 8 years given to Sidhu would you trade to put this guy behind bars for another year?
            https://leaderpost.com/news/crime/hi...rea-say-police

Or the countless others like him?

Criminality requires intent. However you spin it, Sidhu didn't intend to kill anyone.
            Intent is usually an essential element of criminality. However negligence is also often an element of criminality. In this case he did not slow down at all despite the fact he had no view of one side of the road he was crossing.

Comment

• Originally posted by DJR View Post

That was my point of bringing up Scott Moe. If you feel this truck driver is the spawn of the devil and REAL criminal then you can't feel any different about Scott Moe. I can pretty much assure you that the family of the person Moe killed felt it was a massive tragedy.

Any instance of distracted driving that results in a death is a tragedy. You leave it to fate. A single instance of distracted driving and you can run into a family with 3 young kids, a single 85 year old man, a bus full of people or run into no one at all. The actual mistake is the same in all cases, but the consequences you leave to chance and a worse case scenario happened.

If the driver had been drinking, or even using his cell phone at the moment I would have felt different. There was clearly no intent as is always the case in distracted driving. There was inexperience of driving and not enough training, which I can blame the owner of the trucking company and the government for improper regulation. The guy should have pulled over and secured his load.

I feel for the poster a few up that lost 2 family members. I honestly can't say I wouldn't feel different if it had been my child. I quite likely would have. I feel empathy for all parties. I have no problem and will vote for Scott Moe, because he's a pretty good guy who made a mistake without any malice. I assume if you feel the truck driver is a REAL criminal, you will be voting for Ryan Meilly. It would seem pretty hypocritical if that's not the case.

Comment

That was my point of bringing up Scott Moe. If you feel this truck driver is the spawn of the devil and REAL criminal then you can't feel any different about Scott Moe. I can pretty much assure you that the family of the person Moe killed felt it was a massive tragedy.

Any instance of distracted driving that results in a death is a tragedy. You leave it to fate. A single instance of distracted driving and you can run into a family with 3 young kids, a single 85 year old man, a bus full of people or run into no one at all. The actual mistake is the same in all cases, but the consequences you leave to chance and a worse case scenario happened.

If the driver had been drinking, or even using his cell phone at the moment I would have felt different. There was clearly no intent as is always the case in distracted driving. There was inexperience of driving and not enough training, which I can blame the owner of the trucking company and the government for improper regulation. The guy should have pulled over and secured his load.

I feel for the poster a few up that lost 2 family members. I honestly can't say I wouldn't feel different if it had been my child. I quite likely would have. I feel empathy for all parties. I have no problem and will vote for Scott Moe, because he's a pretty good guy who made a mistake without any malice. I assume if you feel the truck driver is a REAL criminal, you will be voting for Ryan Meilly. It would seem pretty hypocritical if that's not the case.
                Spawn of the Devil? No, but definitely a REAL criminal. As for Moe, I guess we have no choice but to assume justice was served. However I would be lying if I said the accident was not a concern for me. Short story. A fellow I know was pulling a trailer without being properly secured to the tow vehicle. No intent but very careless. The trailer came unhooked on a curve and killed a mother and baby. This was over 40 years ago and this accident ruined him, never even close to the same man he was. That is remorse.

Comment

There is a difference between a regular driver and a "professionally trained" Commercially licensed driver.

Comment

• Originally posted by RiderHard View Post

There is a difference between a regular driver and a "professionally trained" Commercially licensed driver.
                    LOL. Sure, the truck driver has a lot more distractions not necessarily of his design.

Comment

There should be a difference between a regular driver and a "professionally trained" Commercially licensed driver.
                      Small adjustment. And I think we both know that is far from the case.

Do do you blame Sidhu for that?

Comment

"Stop" signs mean the same for both though.
                        ZC gets another chance to feed cram sammiches!

Comment

• https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5073159

five 1000 dollar fines. Appears to want to cooporate

I'd still like to see/hear more on training. IIRC he was providing schooling in the past
                          #keepthepromise

Onward with escaping the hopeless fantasy of an artificial freedom and darkened picket fences the disillusioned front of friendly foes

Comment

• Originally posted by Beacon.x View Post
                            https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5073159

five 1000 dollar fines. Appears to want to cooporate

I'd still like to see/hear more on training. IIRC he was providing schooling in the past
                            This is what really bothers me... this is the guy that set everything in motion.

I get that there are limitations as to what the penalty could be, but this is an utter joke.

Comment

• Originally posted by ChuckT View Post

This is what really bothers me... this is the guy that set everything in motion.

I get that there are limitations as to what the penalty could be, but this is an utter joke.
                              Well, it didn't sound like it was necessarily over.
                              #keepthepromise

Onward with escaping the hopeless fantasy of an artificial freedom and darkened picket fences the disillusioned front of friendly foes

Comment

• Originally posted by ChuckT View Post

The analogy I like is .. a restaurant with deplorable food safety standards, training, and enforcement gets a bunch of people sick.

How much do you blame on the line cook and how much do hang on the owner?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X