Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Truck Driver in Humboldt Broncos Deaths Pleads Guilty.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mallard View Post

Our '18 Acadia that we got in August has that adaptive cruise system. Sometimes it slows down, sometimes it doesn't.
    Yeesh, that's unnerving.

Comment

• Originally posted by squish View Post

Yeesh, that's unnerving.
      Mine worked pretty good, I don't like to follow people in general but on a 4 lane highway where the person in front is trying to do roughly the same speed it worked. The automatic braking only kicked in once. I wasn't sleeping or anything, the guy in front of me was turning off and I was pretty sure he would be gone before I had to do anything. Damn thing just hammered on the brakes when it figured I was getting too close.

In the Humbolt case I don't think the technology is too far off (or maybe even not off at all) where a camera could see a stop sign ahead and either warn you of it or apply braking if you are not slowing down. The tech is there it's just really expensive. I've installed a couple vision systems and it is pretty amazing what they can do.

Comment

• Originally posted by squish View Post

Yeesh, that's unnerving.
        Yes, very. I've got it set for "normal" cruise, like the '84 Pontiac Parisienne that I had, 35ish years ago.
        Nothing like a whole off season to choke on cram sammiches!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mallard View Post

Yes, very. I've got it set for "normal" cruise, like the '84 Pontiac Parisienne that I had, 35ish years ago.
          I drove a '72 Dart for awhile with cruise when I was a kid. Back then they used vacuum pressure rather than actual MPH. Not exactly accurate. I've down graded a bit from the fancy Jeep to a 2016 GMC Terrain that doesn't have all the bells and such. The only automatic things I actually miss are the rain sense wipers and the automatic Hi- beams. The automatic cruise was a bit of a meh.

Comment

• Just like the automatic parking on my Ford Edge that I never use. It is scary when you see that it misses the vehicle in front by inches at a high rate of speed. I have always been good at parallel parking anyways. I used to be able to parallel park a tractor with 53 foot trailer no problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by inspector7 View Post
              Just like the automatic parking on my Ford Edge that I never use. It is scary when you see that it misses the vehicle in front by inches at a high rate of speed. I have always been good at parallel parking anyways. I used to be able to parallel park a tractor with 53 foot trailer no problem.
              Looks good on TV, I've never been in a vehicle that would do that. I can parallel park just fine but I have poor depth perception. The backup camera is nice in that regard. The camera in the Terrain is pretty amateur compared to the one in my jeep, but the terrain costs half as much so I understand why.

This maybe isn't the thread to be discussing such things.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sofaking View Post

Yea I'll long be worm food before a truly antonymous vehicles are on the road. I work in factories automating things and there is some pretty neat technology out there but truly antonymous is a ways off. My last vehicle had adaptive cruise that was pretty handy actually. It had automatic braking too which I didn't know it had, scared the snot out of me the first time it kicked in. Should have read the manual...
                Last time I was in Vancouver for work Budget gave me a Volvo (i forget what model). Nice car, but all the warning systems in that thing was extremely annoying. Driving in heavy traffic, it was constantly beeping at me about something. I found the warning systems more distracting than anything else. Someone changed lanes in front of me (not even that close) and this alarm starts going off and a big red light on the top of the dash starts flashing. Scared the $hit out of me and I actually almost got in an accident because of it.

Remember the good 'ol days when you could just get in your car, pay attention and have a nice peaceful drive?

Comment

Not that it matters in the grand scheme of what happened but how does this guy afford Mark Brayford as a lawyer? He is the second most well known lawyer in the province. This isn't unique to this trial. Do these high profile lawyers do it just for the exposure?
                  I was surprised he was still practicing. It's been a while since I've seen him on the news

Comment

Not that it matters in the grand scheme of what happened but how does this guy afford Mark Brayford as a lawyer? He is the second most well known lawyer in the province. This isn't unique to this trial. Do these high profile lawyers do it just for the exposure?
                    Considering the seriousness of the charges, you are going to get the best lawyer you can. Plus the fact he plead guilty would knock down the billable hours.

Comment

• Wiith all the safety technology theses days such as autonomous braking, future demolition derbys are going to be pretty boring.

But seriously, maby stop signs should be programmed into a vechiles GPS system and have the auto brakes kick in if you are not paying attention.

Comment

Weren't you a Tony Merchant client in a former life?

Comment

• Originally posted by Poley For PM View Post
                          Wiith all the safety technology theses days such as autonomous braking, future demolition derbys are going to be pretty boring.

But seriously, maby stop signs should be programmed into a vechiles GPS system and have the auto brakes kick in if you are not paying attention.
                          That's not a bad idea.

Comment

• Originally posted by danno View Post

"Tony Merchant working for youuuuuu...and Sas-k-a-tch-e-wannn..."
                            Nothing like a whole off season to choke on cram sammiches!

Comment

• Originally posted by danno View Post

I was a client of his firm and while I don't know a whole lot about him other than he is majorly into class action law suits which I don't think is necessarily bad thing.

So the story, since there is one. I go flying into Regina mad as He!! looking for a divorce lawyer. I google and there are dozens of them in the city. I figured **** it I'm just going to the supposedly ruthless Merchant Law group. I end up with a lawyer there that believe it or not was reasonable and gave me good advice like calm down don't make this uglier than it has to be. My lawyer did all the work, filed it and and had a reasonable settlement. I don't know what exactly the ex's kid lawyer did but it wasn't much and she paid twice as much as I did lol. Two years later the ex and I got into a bit of a spat that involved lawyers again, nothing major and it got settled quick. I never did get a bill. I don't know if it was clerical error or what.

Short story long if god forbid I have to go through something like this again I know exactly where I am going.
                              Last edited by Sofaking; 02-03-2019, 10:32 AM.

Comment

I think maybe what he was trying to say is the driver was at least trying to be somewhat attentive? My gut tells me this guy was stressed out and over his head. No excuse for blowing a sign though.

Even though I don't know anyone involved in this tragedy, I don't think I could sit through 3 days in that gym listening to the victims.
                                Or maybe the timing of the accident. If the driver didn't stop to adjust the strap he probably would've gone through the intersection before the bus arrived.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X