Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Truck Driver in Humboldt Broncos Deaths Pleads Guilty.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by squish View Post
    I wonder what sentencing will bring. Will a lengthy sentence bring any measure of comfort to the families? If so, then do it. If not... does another family need to be destroyed in the name of retribution? I'm certainly of two minds.
    Whatever sentence he will get, he should be banned from driving for life. He has struck once, he will do it again if he's back on the road.

Comment

• Instead of sofaking tooting his own horn with the usual BS, it would be nice if this thread was more of an update on the trial or things related to it.

Can we just start a thread where he can tell stories to his heart's content and the 1 or 2 people interested in it can go check it out?

Comment

• Originally posted by RFIOttawa View Post

Whatever sentence he will get, he should be banned from driving for life. He has struck once, he will do it again if he's back on the road.

He won't be banned for life.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sofaking View Post

I drove a tandem grain truck with a 15-spd and air brakes on the farm for years. I don't know what all is involved in the road test but I think I would be Ok.
          I bet you'd know enough to stop at the stop sign and not proceed until it was safe to do so no matter what the circumstances or training/lack of training you had.
          ZC gets another chance to feed cram sammiches!

Comment

He won't be banned for life.
            He should be
            Including class 5

Last edited by regina; 01-28-2019, 03:14 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by RFIOttawa View Post

What makes you so sure that he will do it again? Do you have some inside information? So everyone that blows a stop sign should be banned from driving for life? I'm sorry but I do feel that he needs to be punished for the crime which is dangerous driving causing death. However, it was not intentional and it was agreed that he blew a stop sign nothing more nothing less. There were no other distractions.

Everyone is speaking with emotion, as they should be with as devastating as this accident was. Realistically, he blew a stop sign, which I'm sure many of you guys have done in the past as well. Did his lack of judgement cause a horrendous accident? Yes it did and I'm sure he will be punished according to the law but to lock up the driver and throw away the key is wrong IMO.

Lack of training, no experience, etc. is the fault of the system and not solely on the driver. I feel for all the families and the impact that this has had on their lives but I also feel for the driver and the impact that this has had on his and his family's life. Very tough for the judge to make a call.

Comment

I drove it aggressively which is actually how you have to if you if you plan on changing gears. I was basically trying to shift at too low of an RPM and taking too long between gears and that doesn't work. Once you figure out the sweet spot it isn't that hard. How did the guy I described trying to back up to a loading dock and didn't know which way to turn the wheel get his?
                You don't have to drive a truck aggressively to switch gears. In fact, the opposite is true. Just take it easy, give everything time, and you can shift like a pro.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mallard View Post

I bet you'd know enough to stop at the stop sign and not proceed until it was safe to do so no matter what the circumstances or training/lack of training you had.
                  That is why I said not necessarily in this accident. You need to know what that red sign means before you can even get a learners. I was taught years ago to watch what truck drivers are doing in bad weather. They are professionals, they are on the radio with other drivers etc... and if they are slowing down you should too, they know something you don't know. I didn't teach my kids that because it's not true anymore. A couple years ago I am driving between Regina and Saskatoon. It's snowing, visibility isn't great but it wasn't terrible at all. Starting to drift on the shoulder but nothing on the road, it was fine. Normally I would be doing 90 - 100 and in the right hand lane. I come up behind a semi driving right in the middle of both lanes doing about 70. I had to follow this idiot all the way from Chamberlain to Davidson because I couldn't pass him. And this is a so called professional driver?

Comment

• Originally posted by Proudtobegreen View Post

You don't have to drive a truck aggressively to switch gears. In fact, the opposite is true. Just take it easy, give everything time, and you can shift like a pro.
                    I was learning to drive in a stubble field, so if you don't do it fairly quick you slow down too much. No worries I got it figured out. Once you get the hang of it, it really isn't hard at all.

Comment

I was learning to drive in a stubble field, so if you don't do it fairly quick you slow down too much. No worries I got it figured out. Once you get the hang of it, it really isn't hard at all.
                      Jake's are your friend for the first couple of shifts in a field

Comment

• Originally posted by kbench55 View Post

What makes you so sure that he will do it again? Do you have some inside information? So everyone that blows a stop sign should be banned from driving for life? I'm sorry but I do feel that he needs to be punished for the crime which is dangerous driving causing death. However, it was not intentional and it was agreed that he blew a stop sign nothing more nothing less. There were no other distractions.

Everyone is speaking with emotion, as they should be with as devastating as this accident was. Realistically, he blew a stop sign, which I'm sure many of you guys have done in the past as well. Did his lack of judgement cause a horrendous accident? Yes it did and I'm sure he will be punished according to the law but to lock up the driver and throw away the key is wrong IMO.

Lack of training, no experience, etc. is the fault of the system and not solely on the driver. I feel for all the families and the impact that this has had on their lives but I also feel for the driver and the impact that this has had on his and his family's life. Very tough for the judge to make a call.
                        All that can be proven is whether or not he was using his cell phone. There are all kinds of other distractions. He could have been watching a movie. He could have been eating. He could of been having a leak in a bottle.

If I blow a stop sign and kill someone, throw the book at me, but I don't think I've ever missed a sign that size.

Training has nothing to do with not stopping at a stop sign. It is a basic rule of the road.

Comment

• if he was going 95km at impact i fail to see how the trees could be a factor

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Anger View Post
                            if he was going 95km at impact i fail to see how the trees could be a factor
                            Probably obscured the Bus Driver from seeing him coming.

Comment

• Originally posted by lester View Post

All that can be proven is whether or not he was using his cell phone. There are all kinds of other distractions. He could have been watching a movie. He could have been eating. He could of been having a leak in a bottle.

If I blow a stop sign and kill someone, throw the book at me, but I don't think I've ever missed a sign that size.

Training has nothing to do with not stopping at a stop sign. It is a basic rule of the road.
                              If he was watching a movie there would be evidence of that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lotus View Post

BS this is all on the driver. He had his head up his arse while behind the wheel and was not paying attention to what he was doing and his surroundings, He could have done the same thing while driving a mini van except with a much smaller weapon.

All the training in the world cannot fix stupid.
                                I was referencing the log book infractions only with regards to the quote you bolded.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X