Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Truck Driver in Humboldt Broncos Deaths Pleads Guilty.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cflgridiron View Post

Really? Then why is it young inexperienced drivers have more accidents? Experience is a massive factor in being a good driver.
    You learn when you get a class 5 to stop at stop signs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grainshoveler View Post

I'm sure Scott Moe learned that lesson. Eventually.

Comment

• Originally posted by squish View Post

Thats the tough part, and I would not want to be the judge. I think we can guess what the tenor of most of the impact statements will be, they will be incredibly sad, and the impacts to the victims immeasurable.I don't know if in their statements they make a suggestion of punishment (or not), but if they do, whatever they feel should definitely be the basis for the sentence.

In the end, probably somewhere between 5 and 10 years imprisonment, but more importantly there might be the opportunity for community service to actually do something good, to make something positive out of this. I dunno.
        I'm not so sure that is a good idea. I'm thinking the punishment should fit the crime commited and not what the victims feel it should be. What if the families all feel that the driver should not be sentenced to prison because he suffered enough. Or what if they think he should be sent to prison for life with no chance of parole. I know they are both extremes but I think there is a reason as to why judges decide the sentences and not the victims.

Comment

Not referring to this accident in particular but I'll give an example. I'm pretty sure with a bit of studying and no training I could walk in and write a test and pass a road test for a 1A. Would I be stupid enough to hop into a rig pulling a B-train the next week, no.

Comment

• Originally posted by kbench55 View Post

I'm not so sure that is a good idea. I'm thinking the punishment should fit the crime commited and not what the victims feel it should be. What if the families all feel that the driver should not be sentenced to prison because he suffered enough. Or what if they think he should be sent to prison for life with no chance of parole. I know they are both extremes but I think there is a reason as to why judges decide the sentences and not the victims.
            I see what you're saying. I just want them to be sure that if there is anything the judge can do in the sentence, either harsher or softer, to help with the family's pain, that they should do it.

Comment

• Man I'm at work and just read some of the statements made by some of the parents and man you can't help but get choked up...makes you want to go grab your kids and give them a big hug.
              Simply amazing Riders...Simply...Facking...Amazing!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sofaking View Post

Not referring to this accident in particular but I'll give an example. I'm pretty sure with a bit of studying and no training I could walk in and write a test and pass a road test for a 1A. Would I be stupid enough to hop into a rig pulling a B-train, no.
                Really what makes a Super B that much more special? It is still considered a legal or regular length heavy vehicle. Anything beyond that is considered an LCV and extra training and certification is required to operate one including having to re-certify every 4 years. Actually a B Train is easier to corner with being an articulated vehicle. As far as weights are concerned a 53' tri-axle van can be loaded to close the weight of a Super B.

Comment

Not referring to this accident in particular but I'll give an example. I'm pretty sure with a bit of studying and no training I could walk in and write a test and pass a road test for a 1A. Would I be stupid enough to hop into a rig pulling a B-train the next week, no.
                  Think you would find it much harder than you think. Majority of farmers went to school to get their 1a..........and yea yeah....
                  I know everybody knows Joe Blow thst went with no training and never seen a truck and got their 1a in a matter of minutes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lotus View Post

Really what makes a Super B that much more special? It is still considered a legal or regular length heavy vehicle. Anything beyond that is considered an LCV and extra training and certification is required to operate one including having to re-certify every 4 years. Actually a B Train is easier to corner with being an articulated vehicle. As far as weights are concerned a 53' tri-axle van can be loaded to close the weight of a Super B.
                    Fair enough. Not knowing that is the reason people like me should get some training.

Comment

I would bet you $100 that you wouldn't come close to passing the written or road test for a Class 1 and Air Brake test with just a little studying and no training. It's not as easy as you seem to think it is.

Comment

Think you would find it much harder than you think. Majority of farmers went to school to get their 1a..........and yea yeah....
                        I know everybody knows Joe Blow thst went with no training and never seen a truck and got their 1a in a matter of minutes.
                        I don't know, I've seen some pretty bad drivers with a 1A driving a semi around, I think I mentioned the story of watching a guy trying to back in a van to our loading dock. My oldest is on a rig right now and is expected to get his. I'm told (and he is 18 so take this with a grain of salt) that most of the people he works with have it and some of them can't move a 3 ton manual trans truck across the yard.

Comment

• Originally posted by flatlandriderfan View Post

I would bet you $100 that you wouldn't come close to passing the written or road test for a Class 1 and Air Brake test with just a little studying and no training. It's not as easy as you seem to think it is.
                          I drove a tandem grain truck with a 15-spd and air brakes on the farm for years. I don't know what all is involved in the road test but I think I would be Ok.

Comment

I drove a tandem grain truck with a 15-spd and air brakes on the farm for years. I don't know what all is involved in the road test but I think I would be Ok.
                            Driving a tandem grain truck (and I remember how you said you drove it - something like drive it like you stole it - which that alone would constitute a fail) is not even in the same realm of driving a semi tractor with 53' trailer. So again, you wouldn't be Ok

Comment

• Originally posted by flatlandriderfan View Post

Driving a tandem grain truck (and I remember how you said you drove it - something like drive it like you stole it - which that alone would constitute a fail) is not even in the same realm of driving a semi tractor with 53' trailer. So again, you wouldn't be Ok
                              I drove it aggressively which is actually how you have to if you if you plan on changing gears. I was basically trying to shift at too low of an RPM and taking too long between gears and that doesn't work. Once you figure out the sweet spot it isn't that hard. How did the guy I described trying to back up to a loading dock and didn't know which way to turn the wheel get his?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X