Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Truck Driver in Humboldt Broncos Deaths Pleads Guilty.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tommy_boy View Post

Found this for Canadian Criminal Offences with a Vehicle which I find relevant.
    Thatís interesting. This case checks some of the aggravating and mitigating factors.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mustard Tiger View Post

Thatís interesting. This case checks some of the aggravating and mitigating factors.
      I only see 8 as a possible aggravating factor.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bates View Post

12 and 13 as well.

Comment

12 and 13 also.

2, 3 and 4 work in his favour. I rarely take "expressions of remorse" seriously but in this case I fully believe him.

Comment

12 and 13 as well.
            I would question the knowingly part of 12 and I think that would be the same for 13. I don't think this person knowingly continued at highway speed through the stop sign. I would see these as more like a guy excessively speeding causing a major accident.

Comment

I would question the knowingly part of 12 and I think that would be the same for 13. I don't think this person knowingly continued at highway speed through the stop sign. I would see these as more like a guy excessively speeding causing a major accident.
              12 says especially if knowingly, which doesnít mean only if knowingly. 13 makes no mention of knowingly.

Comment

• Originally posted by C.M.Burns View Post

12 and 13 also.

2, 3 and 4 work in his favour. I rarely take "expressions of remorse" seriously but in this case I fully believe him.
                Possibly 1 as well under mitigating, but I donít remember if there was anything on his driving record.

Comment

12 says especially if knowingly, which doesnít mean only if knowingly. 13 makes no mention of knowingly.
                  Yeah open to interpretation and to me 13 follows 12 so knowingly still part of equation. Guess a Judge might interpret different than a layman like me??

Comment

Possibly 1 as well under mitigating, but I donít remember if there was anything on his driving record.
                    I think he had a clean record??? But then again It's only months of driving history!!!

Comment

• Wouldn't want to be that Judge trying to balance fairness against public outcry.

Comment

Wouldn't want to be that Judge trying to balance fairness against public outcry.
                        What is the public outcry? I haven't heard much outcry actually. The way some of the families have been speaking seems to have diffused that a fair bit.

Comment

• Originally posted by squish View Post

What is the public outcry? I haven't heard much outcry actually. The way some of the families have been speaking seems to have diffused that a fair bit.
                          The Public outcry will follow a reasonable sentence. Read this thread for examples. Many in SK wanted murder charges. The Families have been admirable in this case but I believe one has spoken that they hope the guilty plea doesn't lead to less jail time.

Comment

• Originally posted by squish View Post

Gotten harsher?
                            Yes

Comment

• Originally posted by The_G View Post

Yes
                              Well that goes against the "catch and release" thing people so dearly quote around these parts.

Comment

• Originally posted by pappcam View Post

Well that goes against the "catch and release" thing people so dearly quote around these parts.
                                And the statistics. In 20 years, sentencing has hardly changed at all, let alone "quite a bit".

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X