Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Truck Driver in Humboldt Broncos Deaths Pleads Guilty.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truck Driver in Humboldt Broncos Deaths Pleads Guilty.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...ncos-1.4969739

Sentencing hearings to start Jan 28/19.
    ZC gets another chance to feed cram sammiches!

I wonder what sentencing will bring. Will a lengthy sentence bring any measure of comfort to the families? If so, then do it. If not... does another family need to be destroyed in the name of retribution? I'm certainly of two minds.

Comment

Originally posted by squish View Post
      I wonder what sentencing will bring. Will a lengthy sentence bring any measure of comfort to the families? If so, then do it. If not... does another family need to be destroyed in the name of retribution? I'm certainly of two minds.
      Drunk driver who killed Family of 4 last year got 10 years. If this is only a missed stop sign I have trouble seeing it being worse except number of fatalities.

Comment

Originally posted by Bates View Post

Drunk driver who killed Family of 4 last year got 10 years. If this is only a missed stop sign I have trouble seeing it being worse except number of fatalities.
        He certainly deserves 10 years, IMHO.

Comment

If nothing else, commendable of the driver to plead guilty, and spare the families a trial. Read it on ESPN, so not sure if they took the same article posted on here, but the statement read by his lawyer was very well thought out, takes full responsibility, does not ask for lenience, and thanks the families that have mentioned how difficult this would be for him as well. Terrible situation all around, and hopefully, this will bring a quick resolution to the legal aspect.

Comment

Originally posted by Mallard View Post

I am so conflicted by this. There was no intent, but rather just incompetence. After so many young lives were taken away in the prime of their lives, I struggle to see how putting another young man in prison helps anything. There are two aspects to the legal system, punishment and rehabilitation. I think that the hell this man is surely going through encompasses more punishment than a lengthy prison sentence would, and I don't believe this is a situation where rehabilitation is necessary.

Somewhere along a 5 year sentence with him getting out in half of that would be okay with me. I think where they should crack down is on the owner of the company, and he should be fined and possibly charged as well, to develop reform in the trucking industry, and to ensure that those driving large semis are fully qualified, and reliable.

Comment

In a healing lodge also?

Comment

Originally posted by steve04 View Post

I am so conflicted by this. There was no intent, but rather just incompetence. After so many young lives were taken away in the prime of their lives, I struggle to see how putting another young man in prison helps anything. There are two aspects to the legal system, punishment and rehabilitation. I think that the hell this man is surely going through encompasses more punishment than a lengthy prison sentence would, and I don't believe this is a situation where rehabilitation is necessary.

Somewhere along a 5 year sentence with him getting out in half of that would be okay with me. I think where they should crack down is on the owner of the company, and he should be fined and possibly charged as well, to develop reform in the trucking industry, and to ensure that those driving large semis are fully qualified, and reliable.
                I know I was flamed quite mercilessly when I had suggested in a previous thread that the driver should get charged with multiple criminal negligence causing death charges but IMHO when a person's negligence has about the highest degree of disastrous consequences that can happen the person deserves to be treated harshly.

Comment

Originally posted by Shotgun View Post

In a healing lodge also?
                  That was incredible wasn't it? I don't think this character has the right "qualifications".

Comment

I know I was flamed quite mercilessly when I had suggested in a previous thread that the driver should get charged with multiple criminal negligence causing death charges but IMHO when a person's negligence has about the highest degree of disastrous consequences that can happen the person deserves to be treated harshly.
                    Not knowing all details of it's a missed stop sign only I have trouble seeing that as criminal negligence despite the horrific outcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Bates View Post

Not knowing all details of it's a missed stop sign only I have trouble seeing that as criminal negligence despite the horrific outcome.
                      A "missed" stop sign is when you drive your smart car though an intersection without stopping at the stop sign at 9 pm with no one around but the cop. Killing 16 people with your semi while entering another highway without stopping at the stop sign, that's criminal negligence, IMHO.

Comment

A "missed" stop sign is when you drive your smart car though an intersection without stopping at the stop sign at 9 pm with no one around but the cop. Killing 16 people with your semi while entering another highway without stopping at the stop sign, that's criminal negligence, IMHO.
                        Opinions are irrelevant, there are laws.

Comment

I see that but if this was a farmer hauling grain and hit a pickup killing the occupant we probably wouldn't be at criminal negligence.

Comment

Was the driver texting? Will more details come out?

Comment

Originally posted by Grainshoveler View Post
                              Was the driver texting? Will more details come out?
                              I would assume at the sentencing hearing that all of the agreed upon facts would be made public, so if he was, this would be disclosed.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X