Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Concert announcement coming for Regina

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Rock Preston #1 View Post

    All indications point to Garth Brooks. I won't go but for those that really dig him that's great.
    To me he represents all that is wrong with country-pop music. But whatever, people seem to like him for some reason.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by squish View Post

      To me he represents all that is wrong with country-pop music. But whatever, people seem to like him for some reason.
      Well modern country is basically just rock with fiddles. It's pretty nauseating to be honest, but in the end the general public want a catchy beat and something they can sing to. Doesn't matter if it sucks, doesn't involve much imagination or is just a carbon copy of the same old blueprint. People still eat it up.

      Country music isn't country music anymore...it's cliche pop rock with fiddles and cowboy hats.
      Waiting for the big ole splash...actually there was no big splash, just a peaceful ripple. Dammit, there was supposed to be a big ole splash!!

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Rock Preston #1 View Post

        Well modern country is basically just rock with fiddles. It's pretty nauseating to be honest, but in the end the general public want a catchy beat and something they can sing to. Doesn't matter if it sucks, doesn't involve much imagination or is just a carbon copy of the same old blueprint. People still eat it up.

        Country music isn't country music anymore...it's cliche pop rock with fiddles and cowboy hats.
        I think Garth was one of the first to figure out that math. Then added flames and headset mic's. The more I hear it, the more I appreciate artists like Colter Wall, Sturgill Simpson, or Steve Earl who are preserving the honesty of what the genre was supposed to be about.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Rock Preston #1 View Post

          Well modern country is basically just rock with fiddles. It's pretty nauseating to be honest, but in the end the general public want a catchy beat and something they can sing to. Doesn't matter if it sucks, doesn't involve much imagination or is just a carbon copy of the same old blueprint. People still eat it up.

          Country music isn't country music anymore...it's cliche pop rock with fiddles and cowboy hats.
          It hasn't been "country music" for decades. When did "New Country" come into vogue?* The late 80s/start of the 90s?

          *to which I could add into the "Random Thoughts" thread, is that music called "Old Country" now?

          Comment


          • Originally posted by go riders View Post

            It hasn't been "country music" for decades. When did "New Country" come into vogue?* The late 80s/start of the 90s?

            *to which I could add into the "Random Thoughts" thread, is that music called "Old Country" now?
            Technically, "Western" music I think. I read an article about the separation of Country and Western music as two different genres entirely.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by go riders View Post

              It hasn't been "country music" for decades. When did "New Country" come into vogue?* The late 80s/start of the 90s?

              *to which I could add into the "Random Thoughts" thread, is that music called "Old Country" now?
              Yes good point.
              Waiting for the big ole splash...actually there was no big splash, just a peaceful ripple. Dammit, there was supposed to be a big ole splash!!

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Rock Preston #1 View Post

                Well modern country is basically just rock with fiddles. It's pretty nauseating to be honest, but in the end the general public want a catchy beat and something they can sing to. Doesn't matter if it sucks, doesn't involve much imagination or is just a carbon copy of the same old blueprint. People still eat it up.

                Country music isn't country music anymore...it's cliche pop rock with fiddles and cowboy hats.
                For those who haven't seen it, and those who want to see it again, a great take on modern country music by Bo Burnham:

                https://youtu.be/MxomblR4c0g
                Is it May yet?

                Comment


                • Originally posted by squish View Post

                  Technically, "Western" music I think. I read an article about the separation of Country and Western music as two different genres entirely.
                  Western music was traditionally defined by singing cowboys such as Rex Allen and Roy Rogers and also crossed over into cowboy yodelling. I've been to Western music festivals and they are very proud of their cowboy heritage and many actually despise the Nashville 'country' music scene and what it represents (the drinkin', cheating' and hurtin' stuff).

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by drysaddle View Post

                    Western music was traditionally defined by singing cowboys such as Rex Allen and Roy Rogers and also crossed over into cowboy yodelling. I've been to Western music festivals and they are very proud of their cowboy heritage and many actually despise the Nashville 'country' music scene and what it represents (the drinkin', cheating' and hurtin' stuff).
                    Yeah, that's this, I guess they often refer to it as "Americana" music now, but if you listen to a guy like Colter Wall, he pays tribute to old Western singers like Wilf Carter or Marty Robbins or even into the folk music realm like Townes Van Zant. Its a genre I'm really starting to enjoy.

                    Contrast that to "Honky Tonk Badonkadonk" and there really is no comparison as to who is making the best and most honest music these days.
                    Last edited by squish; 02-11-2019, 03:25 PM.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by squish View Post

                      Yeah, that's this, I guess they often refer to it as "Americana" music now, but if you listen to a guy like Colter Wall, he pays tribute to old Western singers like Wilf Carter or Marty Robbins or even into the folk music realm like Townes Van Zant. Its a genre I'm really starting to enjoy.

                      Contrast that to "Honky Tonk Badonkadonk" and there really is no comparison as to who is making the best and most honest music these days.
                      Lay off the Trace Adkins besmirching.

                      Anyways country artists to today play some really hard rock type songs that are actually better to me than a lot of the new hard rock bands. It reminds me of southern rock more than country, like Skynrd and Molly Hatchett. I actually would go to see some of those type guys long before I would go see Garth Brooks.

                      I went to Saskatoon last year to see Trace Adkins and would do it again.
                      Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by juice View Post
                        Round, round we go...
                        No, it's not Trooper this time...

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post

                          Lay off the Trace Adkins besmirching.

                          Anyways country artists to today play some really hard rock type songs that are actually better to me than a lot of the new hard rock bands. It reminds me of southern rock more than country, like Skynrd and Molly Hatchett. I actually would go to see some of those type guys long before I would go see Garth Brooks.

                          I went to Saskatoon last year to see Trace Adkins and would do it again.
                          Just besmirching the lyrics to one of the most ridiculous songs I've ever heard, I'm sure Trace is a good guy though. Just this pop-country stuff man, I can imagine Johnny Cash rolling in his grave hearing about badonkadonks.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by squish View Post

                            Just besmirching the lyrics to one of the most ridiculous songs I've ever heard, I'm sure Trace is a good guy though. Just this pop-country stuff man, I can imagine Johnny Cash rolling in his grave hearing about badonkadonks.
                            Well Johnny is a legend but he shouldn’t be throwing stones while rolling in his grave when he wrote a song about building a vehicle one piece at a time
                            Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post

                              Well Johnny is a legend but he shouldn’t be throwing stones while rolling in his grave when he wrote a song about building a vehicle one piece at a time
                              ...but it didn't cost him a dime

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post

                                Lay off the Trace Adkins besmirching.

                                Anyways country artists to today play some really hard rock type songs that are actually better to me than a lot of the new hard rock bands. It reminds me of southern rock more than country, like Skynrd and Molly Hatchett. I actually would go to see some of those type guys long before I would go see Garth Brooks.

                                I went to Saskatoon last year to see Trace Adkins and would do it again.
                                Trace Adkins is AMAZING

                                Comment

                                Announcement

                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

                                Announcement

                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X