Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

La Ronge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• La Ronge

Potentially moving to La Ronge in the near future and have talked to a few people who have lived there but would like to hear more about the life of La Ronge. What is there to do (other than the obvious outdoor activities), what is the rec hockey, slo-pitch scene like? Also curious to know the experience of those who have moved there, what was finding housing like (looking to rent initially), which areas to look into, any to avoid? I have heard a lot of good things but has anyone had any bad experiences? Feel free to DM me.

Has anyone had bad experiences in La Ronge? Sorry but that made me smile a little. There is no denying it is absolutely gorgeous country up there.

Comment

It was a genuine question, everyone we have heard from has had good things to say but they’re the ones recruiting us to go
      Last edited by waterbottle; 01-07-2019, 06:26 PM.

Comment

I was only in La Ronge for a short time while at Ice Wolves training camp, but I was pleasantly surprised at how nice it was. Being right beside the lake with so many beautiful trees. The rink was pretty crappy, especially for an SJ team, but we were told there was a newer and nicer rink on the reserve nearby? Never saw it though.

Comment

My wife was born there. Her opinion is that there is really nothing to do if you are a teenager up there other than to get in trouble. She still has some friends living there and they say not a lot has changed. We are still going to go up and visit this summer but no way would we ever move there. And I was considering it at one time. She told me that would never happen.

Comment

It's a different world up there in a lot of ways. It's not in the same realm as La Loche or other more remote communities, but there are still some fairly extreme social problems and issues that can blindside a person who's never lived in that world. With that said, their issues aren't much different than those in southern communities of a similar demographic. While I haven't lived there, I've spent a lot of time in the north and I'd say if you've always lived in the "right" places or neighbourhoods, the shock might be more than a person can handle, regardless of your mind frame or intentions. However, if you have experience in that kind of community - somewhere like a Kamsack, for a southern comparison - then I would recommend it. You're in some of the most beautiful country on earth and - to me, anyhow - that never gets old. I almost took a job at Big River, and I sometimes lament not taking it - especially when driving the 7 hours to my cabin.

However, you do also have to consider the isolation, and the darkness, and the cold. You're far enough north that it's a lot darker in the winter, but stays it light much later in the summer. You're in a semi-urban setting, but for whatever reason it doesn't feel the same as if you're in a comparably sized community in the south, to me at least. Everything seems farther away, and it often is. But that can be a good thing, too, depending on what you're looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
              It's a different world up there in a lot of ways. It's not in the same realm as La Loche or other more remote communities, but there are still some fairly extreme social problems and issues that can blindside a person who's never lived in that world. With that said, their issues aren't much different than those in southern communities of a similar demographic. While I haven't lived there, I've spent a lot of time in the north and I'd say if you've always lived in the "right" places or neighbourhoods, the shock might be more than a person can handle, regardless of your mind frame or intentions. However, if you have experience in that kind of community - somewhere like a Kamsack, for a southern comparison - then I would recommend it. You're in some of the most beautiful country on earth and - to me, anyhow - that never gets old. I almost took a job at Big River, and I sometimes lament not taking it - especially when driving the 7 hours to my cabin.

However, you do also have to consider the isolation, and the darkness, and the cold. You're far enough north that it's a lot darker in the winter, but stays it light much later in the summer. You're in a semi-urban setting, but for whatever reason it doesn't feel the same as if you're in a comparably sized community in the south, to me at least. Everything seems farther away, and it often is. But that can be a good thing, too, depending on what you're looking for.
              I couldn't say for sure, as I've never been further north than Anglin Lake. I would think that is because you are essentially isolated (just to go shopping is a 2 1/2 hour trip to Prince Albert) so much more than in a comperable-sized southern community that is a relatively short drive from a larger centre. Just speculation.

I recently interviewed for a job in Prince Rupert, and one of the first things they asked me is how I could handle the relative isolation given that you really have to go to Terrace for a lot of things, and the nearest Costco is an 8 hour drive to Prince George (thier words)

Comment

If you take a quick look at Statistics Canada's crime stats, you'll see La Ronge has 4x the provincial crime rate and 8x the national crime rate. For violent crime, they are 5x provincial rate, 10x the national rate.

Nice scenery and good fishing though

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post

How would you rate it relative to Tumblers in Regina? Are you less likely, as likely or more likely to get stabbed?

Comment

Not even!!!

Comment

About 10-15 years ago they stopped selling beer in bottles in La Ronge. Tells you something about the nightlife.
                      Riderfans - Came for the info... stayed for the drama.

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                        About 10-15 years ago they stopped selling beer in bottles in La Ronge. Tells you something about the nightlife.
                        Only kegs and craft breweries then?

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                          I thought that had more to do withe the cost of recycling bottles vs cans.

Comment

Originally posted by ClydeB View Post

I thought that had more to do withe the cost of recycling bottles vs cans.
                            http://www.businessedge.ca/archives/...beer-ban-11003
                            Riderfans - Came for the info... stayed for the drama.

Comment

5-year-old hit when shots fired at home on Lac La Ronge Indian Band
                              https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...band-1.4977857

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X