Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weyburn Murder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What? You trust your kid who knows nothing over an article at discover weyburn that has quotes from police?

Comment

Originally posted by mixer View Post
      What? You trust your kid who knows nothing over an article at discover weyburn that has quotes from police?
      Umm yea in this circumstance I actually do.

Comment

I'm surprised that the police are saying as much as they have. Usually they are pretty close-mouthed, as in "It's under investigation and we can't comment."

Comment

Originally posted by Sprout View Post
          I'm surprised that the police are saying as much as they have. Usually they are pretty close-mouthed, as in "It's under investigation and we can't comment."
          That is why I am relying on my son for actual details. He knows a lot more than is being reported after being filtered between the police and the media.

Comment

Here's the text from discover weyburn:
            Divisive Social Media Posts Not Helping Homicide Investigation

Category: Local News Published: Monday, 07 January 2019 15:10 Written by Jennifer LaCharite
            The house on Fourth Street NE where the incident took place on January 4 (photo by Steven Wilson).

As the community begins to come to grips with the first homicide in 23 years, reactions are coming in, with many opinions being shared on social media.

"We're aware, of course, in this day and age there's been a number of posts circulated on social media and Snapchat and that and at this point, nobody, including the police, has the complete story and all of the facts," said Deputy Chief Rod Stafford of the Weyburn Police Service.

The victim of the home invasion, Keegan Muxlow, is currently charged with second-degree murder for his part in an incident on January 4 in Weyburn that took the life of 18-year-old Nathan Hutt.

Police are in possession of a Snapchat video that Muxlow allegedly took around the time of the incident. There have been unconfirmed reports that Hutt also posted a video to Snapchat around the time of the incident. Police are asking anyone with any information, including related social media posts, to contact the Weyburn Police Service or Crime Stoppers.

In relation to social media posts, Stafford is asking people to respect the privacy of the families involved.

"Allow them to deal with their loss and to grieve without blame or trash being circulated and to keep your comments to yourself until the facts become known or you're certain of something because, while social media can be a benefit to us certainly in an investigation in terms of things that are posted or whatever that may give us an angle to look at or further questions to ask, it can also be very dangerous and very hurtful in circumstances like this."

He urged people to not take sides in the matter.

"It just polarizes the community and that's something we don't need at a time like this," shared Stafford.

Mayor Marcel Roy echoed Stafford's sentiment.

"Right now there's a lot of emotions, a lot of opinions being out there on social media, and our police department is very efficient, our city is still very safe, and we still have one of the best communities to live in and it's unfortunate that sometimes things just end up happening this way," shared Roy.

"Our thoughts are with the families," Roy said.

Stafford said police appreciate the support from the community as the investigation has had an effect on officers, many who directly know the families involved.

"It's always difficult in a smaller community when you do know the people. I mean, it's certainly difficult for the community and the families, but it affects our officers too because, again, we do know these people. We've dealt with them for good or ill over the course of years and watched them grow up and it can't help but have an effect on our officers as well and we're taking steps to help them deal with that as the investigation goes along."

And now I will shut up about the matter.

Comment

I'm going to bug out for now, let the officers discern the details.

Comment

Originally posted by Sofaking View Post

I understand that. My point was trying to be that I know all these kids, some of them not well but I know who they are. How did they get from kids I used to watch knocking a soccer ball around to a drug dealing gun toting incident in just a few years?
                Easy money?

Comment

Originally posted by wist View Post

Easy money?
                  I'm sure that is part of it. I'll use my kid as an example. I thought he was by far the one I was going to have to foot the bill for to go to Uni. He was on the honor roll. He is working on a rig platform/ sometimes derrick right now and loves it. Making far more money than someone coming out of school with a degree would.

You start putting that much money in a kids hands and things can sour in a hurry.

Comment

Here's the article from Discover Weyburn with facts and quotes. Please visit Discover Weyburn, Jenny is a nice girl:

More information is coming to light in the homicide and home invasion investigation resulting from an incident Friday evening in Weyburn.

Twenty-three-year-old Keegan R. Muxlow, who was the resident of the home on Fourth Street NE, is charged with second-degree murder, after allegedly shooting and killing one of the three men who broke into his home.

Deputy Chief Rod Stafford with the Weyburn Police Service said Muxlow called the police around 9 p.m., stating that his house had been broken into by people with weapons.

"Mr. Muxlow was the only person present in the house when we arrived. About 15 minutes after that we received a phone call from the Weyburn General Hospital that two people had been brought in with various injuries and were believed involved in something that we were dealing with," said Stafford.

Twenty-three-year-old Dominick Hawkes and 18-year-old Nathan Hutt, both of Weyburn, were at the hospital when police arrived. Hawkes suffered from minor stab wounds and was treated and taken into custody. Hutt passed away from his injuries around midnight.

Twenty-five-year-old William N. McLeod of Weyburn was also allegedly involved in the home invasion. He turned himself in to police the following morning on January 5.

Hawkes and McLeod are charged with break and enter and committing assault, wearing a disguise during the commission of an offence, possession of a weapon for the purpose of committing an offence, and possession of a firearm without a valid license. Hawkes is also charged with possession of cocaine.

Stafford said even though the three men entered the home with one shotgun, they are all responsible for the weapon as far as the law is concerned.

"That's how the charge is laid when maybe only one person was actually holding it because they were all there, they knew it was there, they knew what their intention was. There is a couple provisions in the law that allow them to be charged for it as if they were the ones holding it themselves."

Stafford said the evidence shows that the only shots fired were from Muxlow's .22 calibre rifle.

The investigation received assistance from the RCMP Forensic Identification Unit (photo by Jennifer LaCharite).

The charges laid by police are standard procedure, according to Stafford, and self-defence theories are determined by the court process.

"Police departments have a lot of discretion in laying charges but in capital cases, I don't think that a police department would ever make a decision on its own not to lay a charge in a capital case where self-defence was either alleged or seemed like maybe even it was a case of self-defence," explained Stafford. "Perhaps a Crown Prosecutor, once they get the file and read it, will direct that charges be amended, or dropped, or added but, again, in a capital case, that decision is best left for a jury to decide once they hear all of the evidence.

Stafford said formal interviews with the suspects are still taking place and the motivation behind the incident is not yet known.

The three men remain in police custody and will be in Weyburn Provincial Court on Tuesday.

Stafford said they appreciate the support from the community during this difficult investigation, where many of the parties involved are known to officers. He urged people to respect the process and not be quick to pass judgement as all of the facts are not yet known.

It's been 23 years since Weyburn police were in charge of a homicide investigation, when Larry Havelange was charged with the murder of his common-law wife Susan Potyra in 1995.

Comment

Just a comment, for those that don't know Weyburn 4th St NE is not a bad area of town. It's older since it is basically a part of downtown for most of the stretch (it's a block east of the mall) but it's not like north central in Regina. I'm sure the neighbors are shocked.

I am also surprised that names were released so quickly, was no reason to XXX out the names in my email apparently. And I was wrong in my assumption the guy who got shot had it done with his own gun. Keegan was ready with his own apparently. SMH again...

As far as Keegan goes I doubt they go ahead with a murder trial. Masked people with a shot gun broke into his house and one of them got shot. I know it's Canada but still that isn't murder or manslaughter to me of any degree.
                      Last edited by Sofaking; 01-09-2019, 01:09 AM.

Comment

It's murder if the invaders no longer posed a threat. If you break into my house with a shotgun and I take your gun from you and then execute you, I'm committing second degree murder as I'm no longer defending myself.

I have no idea what happened in this situation - none of us do, including those privy to inside information - rather I'm just giving an example as to it could be considered murder.

I suspect there's a hell of a lot more to this story than has been released or a second degree murder charge would not have been laid.
                        Last edited by Andy; 01-09-2019, 11:17 AM.

Comment

....but using and dealing drugs is a victimless crime, what business is it of anyone what someone puts in their body?

Comment

Originally posted by Sofaking View Post
                            Just a comment, for those that don't know Weyburn 4th St NE is not a bad area of town. It's older since it is basically a part of downtown for most of the stretch (it's a block east of the mall) but it's not like north central in Regina. I'm sure the neighbors are shocked.

I am also surprised that names were released so quickly, was no reason to XXX out the names in my email apparently. And I was wrong in my assumption the guy who got shot had it done with his own gun. Keegan was ready with his own apparently. SMH again...

As far as Keegan goes I doubt they go ahead with a murder trial. Masked people with a shot gun broke into his house and one of them got shot. I know it's Canada but still that isn't murder or manslaughter to me of any degree.
                            Depends if the victim was shot in the back or the front. If he was shot in the back likely will go with murder.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
                              It's murder if the invaders no longer posed a threat. If you break into my house with a shotgun and I take your gun from you and then execute you, I'm committing second degree murder as I'm no longer defending myself.

I have no idea what happened in this situation - none of us do, including those privy to inside information - rather I'm just giving an example as to it could be considered murder.

I suspect there's a hell of a lot more to this story than has been released or a second degree murder charge would not have been laid.
                              It's not the job of the police to determine innocence. Place the arrest, file the charges, and let the courts figure it out.

Someone is dead. I don't care how clear cut the case is.

Comment

Originally posted by Cflgridiron View Post

Depends if the victim was shot in the back or the front. If he was shot in the back likely will go with murder.
                                Those are details I don't know. I do know that if someone masked breaks into my house with a shotgun I'm libel to shoot first and ask questions later. Now why I would be sitting on my couch with a loaded .22 unless I'm expecting something is a whole different story.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X