Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Petition to give Manitoba a part of Minnesota

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petition to give Manitoba a part of Minnesota

This is weird

https://bringmethenews.com/.amp/minn...ngle-to-canada

I haven't seen the movie yet but isn't this a similar storyline of Super Troopers 2?

Comment

Why don't the people who live in that area have a referendum on it, should be up to them to decide which way they go then make a deal with Canada if they do choose Canada. All the economic and citizenship factors would need to be considered by those people in making the decision.

There would be a lot of reasons to be in Canada, and they are likely already using going to Manitoba to shop.

Comment

Point Roberts in BC is a very similar situation. U.S. owned, land locked by Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by Proudtobegreen View Post
          Point Roberts in BC is a very similar situation. U.S. owned, land locked by Canada.
          Isn't Alaska the same?
          No teacher, cake are square, pie are round.

Comment

Originally posted by jenius View Post

Isn't Alaska the same?
            It's a little more than 8 square miles. Point Roberts is smaller than the one in question by mb. Your Alaska argument could be used there too.
            Last edited by Proudtobegreen; 01-04-2019, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Proudtobegreen View Post
              Yeah, that's an odd little chunk of land. Perhaps the bigger question is, "why isn't Vancouver Island split at the 49th?"

The border between Quebec and New Hampshire / Maine is getting a bit wonky as the river that once made the border clear isn't in the same place it was 200 years ago.

Comment

I assume there is a sheriff or state trooper post in the angle? if they need backup does the closest Manitoba RCMP respond or does the nearest US based officer respond. same thing with fire services etc they must cross the border and reciprocate?

Comment

Originally posted by Bignorm View Post
                  I assume there is a sheriff or state trooper post in the angle? if they need backup does the closest Manitoba RCMP respond or does the nearest US based officer respond. same thing with fire services etc they must cross the border and reciprocate?
                  When you enter you have to stop at a wooden box and there is a camera and you have to show your passport

Comment

Originally posted by Unityriderguy View Post

When you enter you have to stop at a wooden box and there is a camera and you have to show your passport
                    After reading the article, I'm curious as to what prevents you from stopping lol

Comment

Nothing a good old fashioned border war couldnít fix, lol

Comment

The whole thing is weird. Did I read that right, only 120 live there? Where do they go when they are sick? Do they have their own hospital? Also as mentioned by Bignorm I have no idea how police / fire / EMS would work there. Also what about if you die? Do they have an undertaker there? If there is they aren't going to be very busy most of the time. Very interesting situation. The residents should really get to vote on it. Make it a one time vote so they can't flip flop back and forth and be done with it. Logistically it would make sense to turn that into Canada and there wouldn't be much cost at all to that I would imagine. And really other than a pride thing or power move the US is not really losing much giving it up and in fact I would think maybe save money in the long run?

Strange.
                        Last edited by mrguy; 01-04-2019, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mrguy View Post
                          The whole thing is weird. Did I read that right, only 120 live there? Where do they go when they are sick? Do they have their own hospital? Also as mentioned by Bignorm I have no idea how police / fire / EMS would work there. Also what about if you die? Do they have an undertaker there? If there is they aren't going to be very busy most of the time. Very interesting situation. The residents should really get to vote on it. Make it a one time vote so they can't flip flop back and forth and be done with it. Logistically it would make sense to turn that into Canada and there wouldn't be much cost at all to that I would imagine. And really other than a pride thing or power move the US is not really losing much giving it up and in fact I would think maybe save money in the long run?

Strange.
                          The only thing I can see that may be a sticking point for the US would be the fact that they would lose a good portion of Lake of the Woods as well.

Comment

Originally posted by nernzi19 View Post

After reading the article, I'm curious as to what prevents you from stopping lol
                            Thatís what I said haha

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X