Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

West Edmonton Mall advice?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• West Edmonton Mall advice?

I'm looking at taking my 4.5 year old son on a little vacation to Edmonton in February.
    ​​​​​​
    I'm looking at hotels, passes, etc. He's tall enough for most rides at the amusement park, loves waterslides, and would definitely enjoy the other amenities. Has anyone stayed at the Fantasyland Hotel Is it worth the extra cost to be on site? Im looking at the 2 day passes that get us into most activities ($100 apiece). Is this the best way to go?

We'll have the option to stay with family but I think they're forever away from the mall and it seems prudent to spend a night or two closer to where we want to go.

Any thoughts or tips from those who have been

We stayed at WEM fantasyland for a boys trip we were 29 last year haha. It was so darn convienent.

We were able to get the room pretty cheap. I want to say it was like 150 a night for a theme room. I highly recommend it. We were given free water passes and gym passes because we stayed at the hotel.

Comment

I have stayed at the mall kidless a few times and really enjoyed it. You can do things each day without coats and such and to honest even as an adult the rooms are neat.

Comment

I dunno. My son would love every minute of it, but half the reason I want to take him is that his grandparents are taking him on a Disney cruise over Easter and he's never flown before. Even though he pretty much goes with the flow and is pretty level, my wife would rather he take an easy flight or two with me to alleviate her worries that he won't do well flying to Florida with my parents.

The problem is that flights to Edmonton are either cheap and super inconvenient (3 hour layovers in Calgary at 9pm, etc.) or super expensive. We have a big Air Canada credit, so Westjet is off the table.

Seeing the cost of flights seems to have assuaged my wife's fears pretty quick... We'd have a blast, but he would have a blast at Chuck E. Cheese and the Travelodge in Regina for a day, too.

Comment

We were just there yesterday. Typical Xmas break zoo-like atmosphere but the kids enjoyed it.

We've stayed at the hotel a couple of times. Once with kids and once without. It's not the cheapest place but it's convenient and you get free passes to the waterpark. It's convenient in the winter as you don't need to lug around a jacket or anything.

Comment

We were just reminiscing about how we got the Winter Attraction Pass for the kids eons ago. Many a Saturday afternoon there and then over to Grannys for supper and a visit.

Getting to the mall is pretty easy no matter where you are in the Edmonton area. Just a few blocks off the Whitemud, 10 minutes off the Yellowhead,

A follow up with Klutch, I am pretty sure that with the theme room a person gets an attraction pass.

Comment

The nice thing I remember about staying at the hotel at the mall with kids is if someone needs to take a break from the action ie: a nap or even just a little quiet time it is nice to head back to the room for a little bit and then you are right there to head back into the action whenever you want.

Comment

Me and the Mrs spent a weekend there a few years back.

Stayed on site. In Feb it really made it feel like a vacation being able to walk around in shorts.

There is/was a $90 weekend pass that was of incredible value.

Comment

I typically stay at the Hampton Inn & Suites on 100 Ave NW. Only a few minutes away from the mall and a nice hotel IMO.

Comment

We have stayed nearby and right at the mall. Unless you get wound up at the cost of things staying in the mall is super convenient. On your way for supper and you have a few bags, no problem to run them to the room. The nap or escape to the quiet for awhile, no problem. Forgot your wallet in the room, no problem. Someone steals your shoes at the water park, much less of a problem.
                    I donít know the price difference now, but with a 4 year old I would recommend staying at the fantasyland.

Comment

I've been there I think 5 times. I had my honeymoon there lol. My biggest piece of advice is to find the Kiosk way in the bowels of the place to find a pass for everything for you and your son, if it still exists. It's way cheaper than just showing up at the water park or the rides.

Personally I would just stay there. Yes there are hotels around there a little bit cheaper, but not enough to make up for the convenience. Last time I was there I rented a car at the airport on a pay as you go rate. So I drove it from the airport to the hotel and just left it there for like 5 days. I won't quote you what it cost because I don't remember but it was stupid cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
                        I'm looking at taking my 4.5 year old son on a little vacation to Edmonton in February.
                        ​​​​​​
                        I'm looking at hotels, passes, etc. He's tall enough for most rides at the amusement park, loves waterslides, and would definitely enjoy the other amenities. Has anyone stayed at the Fantasyland Hotel Is it worth the extra cost to be on site? Im looking at the 2 day passes that get us into most activities ($100 apiece). Is this the best way to go?

We'll have the option to stay with family but I think they're forever away from the mall and it seems prudent to spend a night or two closer to where we want to go.

Any thoughts or tips from those who have been
                        There is a Holiday Inn I think right across from the mall but for just convenience I would just stay at fantasy land. That is just my opinion. You can get up in the morning, go get breakfast and never have to put a parka on.

And I should add don't eat in the Fantasy land restaurant, nothing wrong with the food but it ain't cheap. There are food courts and restaurants all over the place.
                        Last edited by Sofaking; 12-28-2018, 11:36 PM.

Comment

Seeing the cost of flights seems to have assuaged my wife's fears pretty quick... We'd have a blast, but he would have a blast at Chuck E. Cheese and the Travelodge in Regina for a day, too.
                          Does this mean you've decided against the West Edmonton Mall trip?

Comment

I remain on the fence, Sprout! I really want to go and with an 8 month old crawling around my son sometimes feels like he's an afterthought, hard as we try to spend time with just him when we get the chance. A father/son trip would do wonders for all, and my wife wouldn't be too sad to have us out of the house for a few days.
                            ​​​​​​
                            However, with an 8 month old crawling around, my wife isn't receiving close to what she would earn if she wasn't on mat leave...

Comment

I remain on the fence, Sprout! I really want to go and with an 8 month old crawling around my son sometimes feels like he's an afterthought, hard as we try to spend time with just him when we get the chance. A father/son trip would do wonders for all, and my wife wouldn't be too sad to have us out of the house for a few days.
                              ​​​​​​
                              However, with an 8 month old crawling around, my wife isn't receiving close to what she would earn if she wasn't on mat leave...
                              I get your point! I'm sure whatever decision you make will be fine.
                              Last edited by Sprout; 12-29-2018, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X