Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jamieson's / Tumbler's permanently closed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamieson's / Tumbler's permanently closed?

The Hold and I were out for a pre Christmas beer last night and he was telling me about this. I could see if Tumblers was completely gone now based on what happened in 2016 but surprised Jamieson's appears to be closed too.

Went to Jameson's a couple of times and it wasn't terrible but it's out of the way for me and not enough TV's to go watch a game with the boys. I believe they were owned by the Birmingham's crew but not positive.

Tumblers wasn't Tumblers as soon as Jimmy B left imo and there's no way I'm spending $40 on a fake greasy wheel

Comment

Houston's, shut up and take my money

Comment

Originally posted by CalgaryRiderFan View Post
        Houston's, shut up and take my money
        LOL...that's my jam too

Comment

I haven't heard about this but then again the only times I ever went there in the last 10 years was when CRF was in town. lol

So it's closed then?
          Waiting for the big ole splash...actually there was no big splash, just a peaceful ripple. Dammit, there was supposed to be a big ole splash!!

Comment

Seems like the only people who went there were those with nostalgia for the "good old days" that would drop in on rare occasions. It's just down the road from where I used to live and buddies and I would spend a lot of nights in there at the turn of the century drinking terrible beer from plastic schooner cups, often until the very wee hours after stubling out of the Checkerdome or other bars with respect to liquor laws had stopped serving. It smelled as only Tumblers smelled and there was always a palpable risk of someone getting stabbed. I haven't been in over a decade because now that I'm a real adult, I can afford a schooner in a real glass, I don't want to re-smell that odour, and I don't really like the prospect of getting stabbed.

Like with Old Mosaic, the nostalgia may be warm, but nobody will miss the actual dump of a bar.

Comment

Well maybe Rock and ./ or go_riders can either agree or disagree but we have gone there after a few Rider games (no other times) and I can't say I ever felt my life in danger or worry about being stabbed. Mind you we were there for the pizza have a beer and call it a night usually by midnight.

Comment

this gives me a hankerin for some Sparky's

Comment

Originally posted by St. Anger View Post
                  this gives me a hankerin for some Sparky's
                  Now that's some good pie. Another good one is Chappy's.
                  Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

Comment

Originally posted by CalgaryRiderFan View Post
                    Well maybe Rock and ./ or go_riders can either agree or disagree but we have gone there after a few Rider games (no other times) and I can't say I ever felt my life in danger or worry about being stabbed. Mind you we were there for the pizza have a beer and call it a night usually by midnight.
                    Can't say in the past 35 years of going there (granted as CRF says, for the last 30 was after rider games or late night snack and gone by midnight) I have never felt unsafe there. Mind you, I have traveled to a lot of places in this world and it is very rare I have felt unsafe.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post

Now that's some good pie. Another good one is Chappy's.
                      Houston's on Hill would be my next choice for pizza when I am home. What are the other places I should consider if Tumblers was my pizza of choice?

Comment

I am so far out of the loop I had no idea where Jamieson's was. Winston's and the Unwinder were the south end hang outs and sometimes Bonzinni's.

Comment

Originally posted by go riders View Post

Houston's on Hill would be my next choice for pizza when I am home. What are the other places I should consider if Tumblers was my pizza of choice?
                          Haven't had a Houston's from Hill in a long time. I heave heard mixed reports about them.

The Western on 9th Ave N is good as well as the Western on Rochdale.

As St Anger alluded to Sparky's is good.
                          Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
                            Seems like the only people who went there were those with nostalgia for the "good old days" that would drop in on rare occasions. It's just down the road from where I used to live and buddies and I would spend a lot of nights in there at the turn of the century drinking terrible beer from plastic schooner cups, often until the very wee hours after stubling out of the Checkerdome or other bars with respect to liquor laws had stopped serving. It smelled as only Tumblers smelled and there was always a palpable risk of someone getting stabbed. I haven't been in over a decade because now that I'm a real adult, I can afford a schooner in a real glass, I don't want to re-smell that odour, and I don't really like the prospect of getting stabbed.

Like with Old Mosaic, the nostalgia may be warm, but nobody will miss the actual dump of a bar.
                            Getting stabbed at Tumblers was a thing? Can't say I ever remember that

Comment

Originally posted by Giventofly View Post

Getting stabbed at Tumblers was a thing? Can't say I ever remember that
                              By about 2003, it got pretty damned sketchy by closing time.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X