Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Policy Breathalyzers Test

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Policy Breathalyzers Test

So what's everyone's new thought on the upcoming roadside stops by the police whereas they will demand a sobriety and drug saliva test without merit of intoxication/impairment.

I'm on the fence about it personally. I think it's a very harsh way to get things done and the legality of weed has expideted this upcoming move . A paranoia state perse' where the good guys think everyone or nobody is doing harm to society but they're not sure so let's paint everyone the same colour shall we.

I can foresee a few problems with this method in the 21st century .

Or just stay outta your car after weed or booze. Pram solved.

Comment

Ontario cranked up the penalties for impaired driving to coincide with the new roadside check law.

Formerly, the mandatory minimum fines were: $1,000 for first offence, 30 days imprisonment for second offence, and 120 days in jail for a third offence.

These are the penalties now:
      -First offence, with blood alcohol content of 80-119 mg: mandatory minimum $1,000 fine
      -First offence, with blood alcohol content of 120-159 mg: mandatory minimum $1,500 fine
      -First offence, with blood alcohol content of 160 mg or more: mandatory minimum $2,500 fine
      -First offence, but refuse to be tested: mandatory minimum $2,000 fine
      -Second offence: mandatory minimum 30 days imprisonment
      -Third or more offence: mandatory minimum 120 days imprisonment
      -Maximum penalties for impaired driving causing no bodily harm or death: summary conviction carries two years less a day imprisonment, indictment carries 10 years imprisonment
      -Maximum penalties for impaired driving causing bodily harm: Summary conviction for less severe injuries carries two years less a day imprisonment, indictment carries 14 years imprisonment
      -Maximum penalty impaired driving causing death: life imprisonment

Bill C-46 coincides with the new law legalizing Cannabis.

Does anybody remember the outrage when breathalizers became law because it was against your constitutional rights to have to give a breath sample?
      It seems they have been expanding it without a murmur from the public.
      Last edited by jenius; 12-18-2018, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by regina View Post
        So what's everyone's new thought on the upcoming roadside stops by the police whereas they will demand a sobriety and drug saliva test without merit of intoxication/impairment.

I'm on the fence about it personally. I think it's a very harsh way to get things done and the legality of weed has expideted this upcoming move . A paranoia state perse' where the good guys think everyone or nobody is doing harm to society but they're not sure so let's paint everyone the same colour shall we.

I can foresee a few problems with this method in the 21st century .
        Link?
        Is it May yet?

Comment

Originally posted by squish View Post
          Or just stay outta your car after weed or booze. Pram solved.
          It's weird that they still need a reason to test you for impairment due to weed, but now need no justification to test for alcohol. Not sure why they are treated differently.

Comment

I don't think much will change. Reality is that it isn't that difficult to invent a reason for giving a breathalyzer now.

Comment

Originally posted by Guillermo View Post
              I don't think much will change. Reality is that it isn't that difficult to invent a reason for giving a breathalyzer now.
              I don't see any difference either. They just have to say any reason at all, we suspect you have been drinking, blow here.

Comment

I have no problem whatsoever with it. In fact I think it is great. But I don't drive impaired.

Impaired drivers kill others. Fact. I'm ok with being inconvenienced a little if it saves some lives. I look at it similar to airport security. I'm not planning on using weapons to take over the plane but I'm willing to have my bags xrayed and patted down if it stops the next guy.

Comment

Originally posted by jenius View Post

I don't see any difference either. They just have to say any reason at all, we suspect you have been drinking, blow here.
                  True story. Growing up in small town I was made to blow on a few occasions because 'the officer got the smell of alcohol when i rolled down the window'. This, of course, was complete bull as I was a 17 year old coming home from a movie with my girlfriend and happened to be the only car driving around town.....But I blew anyway, got 00's and was on my way. Rinse and repeat same story 2 weeks later.

Comment

Originally posted by mrguy View Post
                    I have no problem whatsoever with it. In fact I think it is great. But I don't drive impaired.

Impaired drivers kill others. Fact. I'm ok with being inconvenienced a little if it saves some lives. I look at it similar to airport security. I'm not planning on using weapons to take over the plane but I'm willing to have my bags xrayed and patted down if it stops the next guy.
                    I'm with you.

Comment

This law is unlikely to survive the charter test, but it doesn't affect me so whatever. I think I understand that .08 becomes .05 if you also have MJ in your system.

Comment

I feel a bit bamboozled since this seems to go along with weed becoming legal.

This appears to be nothing more than a cash grab (please spare me your Vic Toews responses).

I also believe the Supreme Court of Canada isn't too happy about this.

Comment

Originally posted by Green_and_White View Post

True story. Growing up in small town I was made to blow on a few occasions because 'the officer got the smell of alcohol when i rolled down the window'. This, of course, was complete bull as I was a 17 year old coming home from a movie with my girlfriend and happened to be the only car driving around town.....But I blew anyway, got 00's and was on my way. Rinse and repeat same story 2 weeks later.

I was stopped by a young cop to inform me of an accident up ahead and he leaned in so close to me I thought he was going to kiss me.

Comment

Originally posted by Guillermo View Post

I guess that's the infringement point . There is no longer a reason . Move along people, nothing to see here .

Comment

Originally posted by green_machine_#1 View Post

It's weird that they still need a reason to test you for impairment due to weed, but now need no justification to test for alcohol. Not sure why they are treated differently.
                              When did they develop a test for impairment due to weed?
                              Is it May yet?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X