Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ride Sharing approved in Saskatoon, Regina next?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sprout View Post

I appreciate that and obviously your time is more valuable than mine. I am retired so I can take as much time as is required.

About three years ago I flew into Pearson but needed to get to St Catharines, some 80 km away. I took transit with three changeovers, but I didn't really mind. I enjoyed the exprerience and the indifferent scenery. I had the time and I was cheap. With senior discount, I paid about $15.

It took me twice as long to get to St Cath as the flight from Regina to Toronto. It can be done if you are not in a hurry. I was not.
    This answers so many questions about you.

Comment

• Originally posted by squish View Post

What? That flight is 2 1/2 hours long. You spent 5 hours on busses to go 80k? Did they take you on a scenic tour of Hamilton along the way?
      Oh, there were lots of delays. First I had to wait for a bus to Missisauga Sq. Then something to Burlington. Then another from Burlington to Niagara peninsula. Honestly, I did not mind. No scenic Hamilton, but I have seen it before.

I am a pretty patient person and enjoy the trip as much as the destination. I was just enjoying the time. My time was as free as a bird and my host was not available until the evening. It worked out well.

When I returned, the Greyhounds were still running, so I just took the bus all the way from St Cath to Regina, still enjoying the trip.
      Last edited by Sprout; 02-08-2019, 05:15 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sprout View Post

Oh, there were lots of delays. First I had to wait for a bus to Missisauga Sq. Then something to Burlington. Then another from Burlington to Niagara peninsula. Honestly, I did not mind. No scenic Hamilton, but I have seen it before.

I am a pretty patient person and enjoy the trip as much as the destination. I was just enjoying the time. My time was as free as a bird and my host was not available until the evening. It worked out well.

When I returned, the Greyhounds were still running, so I just took the bus all the way from St Cath to Regina, still enjoying the trip.
        Why wouldn't you take the Go Train or Bus? Why all of the transfers?

Comment

• Originally posted by go riders View Post

Why wouldn't you take the Go Train or Bus? Why all of the transfers?
          I could have, but there were two reasons.

1. It was easier to take my two large suitcases (this was when you could still take two without extra charge) to the Go transit bus stop at Pearson 1. i looked up everything before hand and it was easy for me and there was less walking and hauling..

2. Same number of transfers at a bit more expensive: airport to Union, union to burlington; same bus in Burlington
          Last edited by Sprout; 02-08-2019, 01:00 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by berbs View Post

This answers so many questions about you.
            And bringing her own cheese to Mosaic...

Comment

• Originally posted by go riders View Post

And bringing her own cheese to Mosaic...
              That's funny. I never actually did bring cheese, although being mightily tempted to bring my own mozza instead of that vile processed cheese. I just threw that in there for laughs.

Comment

• Took my first Saskatoon Uber trip yesterday.

From north Circle Drive to Stonebridge it was $21. Uber was clean, driver was friendly, and gasp... he’s actually enjoying the extra money he’s making. Pickup time was quick, maybe 7 minutes? Also the app works just as slick here as anywhere else.

Interesting note, looks like you can get an Uber to the airport (I thought I read earlier the airport was off limits?). My flight back to Regina leaves tomorrow afternoon so just for fun I logged in and from Stonebridge in the far S of the city to the airport, my Uber would cost $24. The option to select “Saskatoon Intl Airport” automatically populated as I started typing it.

By comparison, taxis to and from the airport operate on a flat rate system based on a grid (not uncommon). To go from Stonebridge to the airport based on the grid is $41. A significantly larger jump.

Kudos to Uber and welcome to Saskatchewan!

Comment

• I have found I can always take an Uber to the airport for departure in any cities I’ve been in that have Uber. What Uber doesn’t generally have at airports are designated pickup/parking spots for arrivals - as those are pegged for taxi and limo service.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bingo_Arms View Post
                    Took my first Saskatoon Uber trip yesterday.

From north Circle Drive to Stonebridge it was $21. Uber was clean, driver was friendly, and gasp... he’s actually enjoying the extra money he’s making. Pickup time was quick, maybe 7 minutes? Also the app works just as slick here as anywhere else.

Interesting note, looks like you can get an Uber to the airport (I thought I read earlier the airport was off limits?). My flight back to Regina leaves tomorrow afternoon so just for fun I logged in and from Stonebridge in the far S of the city to the airport, my Uber would cost $24. The option to select “Saskatoon Intl Airport” automatically populated as I started typing it.

By comparison, taxis to and from the airport operate on a flat rate system based on a grid (not uncommon). To go from Stonebridge to the airport based on the grid is $41. A significantly larger jump.

Yes you can be dropped off at airport by Uber but they can't pick you up..yet

Comment

• Originally posted by mrguy View Post

Yes you can be dropped off at airport by Uber but they can't pick you up..yet
                      Thanks! That’s going to save me about $17 and some wait time!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bingo_Arms View Post
                        Took my first Saskatoon Uber trip yesterday.

Aaaaaand therein lies the problem. Driving taxi used to be a viable career that you could provide for your family with. Now you have Uber which is an extra gig for economically depressed people to work even more hours per day just to try and get by, and people doing Uber full time are paid like call center employees.

You celebrate the cheaper cost while I shake my head at people praising the race to the economic bottom. **** the gig economy.
                        Last edited by LongTimeRiderFan; 02-13-2019, 07:30 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by LongTimeRiderFan View Post

Aaaaaand therein lies the problem. Driving taxi used to be a viable career that you could provide for your family with. Now you have Uber which is an extra gig for economically depressed people to work even more hours per day just to try and get by, and people doing Uber full time are paid like call center employees.

You celebrate the cheaper cost while I shake my head at people praising the race to the economic bottom. **** the gig economy.
                          1) I think it's been established here, that UBER is not cheaper (at least not always cheaper) .. from my experience, on average, an UBER is the same price as a cab .. then taking a cab.

2) There are better ways to obtaining a livable wage then regulating a ****ty product into being an under-utilized monopoly.

Comment

• Originally posted by imschatz View Post

1) I think it's been established here, that UBER is not cheaper (at least not always cheaper) .. from my experience, on average, an UBER is the same price as a cab .. then taking a cab.

2) There are better ways to obtaining a livable wage then regulating a ****ty product into being an under-utilized monopoly.
                            > "****ty product"
                            > "It's Friday night where are all the caaaaaaaaaaaabs..."

Comment

• Originally posted by drysaddle View Post
                              I have found I can always take an Uber to the airport for departure in any cities I’ve been in that have Uber. What Uber doesn’t generally have at airports are designated pickup/parking spots for arrivals - as those are pegged for taxi and limo service.
                              Why couldn't they just pick you up at the same place as a friend or family member would?
                              Is it May yet?

Comment

• Originally posted by juice View Post

Why couldn't they just pick you up at the same place as a friend or family member would?
                                Yes, that’s what they do when you request, pick you up like a regular ride. They just aren’t allowed to cue at the airport or on the property so you would have to wait for an Uber who happens to be in the general vicinity.

that being said I don’t find Uber really any cheaper than taxi or limo services that use flat rates for pick up at the airport.
                                Last edited by drysaddle; 02-13-2019, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X